• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams New Clip of Escaflowne Anime's English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
From the episodes Funimation streamed, the dub seems only a mild improvement over the previous one. Not that either are terrible, it's just that neither are great, and Escaflowne deserved better. I find that Aaron Dismuke and Vic Mignogna do most of the heavy lifting (yes, this is me complimenting Vic Mignogna), with some decent support from Eric Vale's Dryden. Caitlin Glass is serviceable in regular, conversational dialogue, but once the emotions rise, it's nails on a chalkboard, much like her Winry Rockbell. Sonny Strait as Allen is... Sonny Strait as Allen. He's just kind of there.

I can't stand their new way of pronouncing Dilandau's name. It's like they're just trying to be different.

But like I said, it isn't terrible, just kind of middle-of-the-road. You'd think with all that fanfare it would be one of the best dubs they ever did. It's not even in the running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
stowrag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
So will the old dub be included? Probably not. I can't even tell if this is any good... I'm too hung up on missing Kirby Morrow's Van.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:
So will the old dub be included? Probably not. I can't even tell if this is any good... I'm too hung up on missing Kirby Morrow's Van.

It's included with one of the higher tier rewards. I'm just getting the TV show BDs, so I don't get it.

Right Stuf's page still says, for the $180 retail version, "Special Features TBD" - to be determined, I think.

There is going to be a retail BD/DVD version, but I don't know what will be on the DVDs.

I would have liked the card deck, but an extra $50 was too much for me ( sigh ).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
From the episodes Funimation streamed, the dub seems only a mild improvement over the previous one. Not that either are terrible, it's just that neither are great, and Escaflowne deserved better. I find that Aaron Dismuke and Vic Mignogna do most of the heavy lifting (yes, this is me complimenting Vic Mignogna), with some decent support from Eric Vale's Dryden. Caitlin Glass is serviceable in regular, conversational dialogue, but once the emotions rise, it's nails on a chalkboard, much like her Winry Rockbell. Sonny Strait as Allen is... Sonny Strait as Allen. He's just kind of there.

I can't stand their new way of pronouncing Dilandau's name. It's like they're just trying to be different.

But like I said, it isn't terrible, just kind of middle-of-the-road. You'd think with all that fanfare it would be one of the best dubs they ever did. It's not even in the running.
It has been baffling why they re-dubbed an entire 26 episode series and a film, just so 8 minutes of footage could be dubbed into English.At least with something like Sailor Moon, it had been edited, so they could offer an uncut version.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
This dub probably won't be better than the JP version, but it will be better than Ocean. Ocean's good dub tally can barely be counted on one and a half hands; Funi's can't even be completed on both sets of hands or feet.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:

I miss him soooooo much Sad

I wish he did more anime.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

This reminds me a lot of the problems I had with the ADV dub of Macross.

Quote:
It's included with one of the higher tier rewards. I'm just getting the TV show BDs, so I don't get it.
I'm pretty sure Funimation confirmed a long time ago they were including the original dub on all the versions of the release.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
This sounds rough. Like, really REALLY rough. Van's sounding fine but Hitomi, at least for the latter portion of her lines, is sounding kind of forced.

I do hope we get Folken clips as a character like Folken lives and dies by his presence alone. Vic's voice I feel doesn't command the same amount of presence as either Dobson or Nakata. Here's hoping he can prove me wrong this time.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't stand their new way of pronouncing Dilandau's name

Huh? How are they pronouncing it?

I've seen the first two episodes on FUNimation's website (Not watching 14 and 15 because I want to see the show in order), and I REALLY like what I've heard. The Ocean dub does have its perks, but its flaws can't be ignored. Many of the voices and performances in that dub came off as rather shrill and whiny, and I CANNOT take Dilandau seriously when he sounds like a chirpy 5th grader! (Of course, nobody can beat Scott McNeil as Jajuka) FUNi's dub actors sound much more restrained and a LOT less forced. I think Alexis Tipton's take on Merle is actually cute, and it doesn't border on annoying most of the time. I didn't even think she could even do that kind of voice since she usually does older ladies who sound polite and elegant. But seriously, I can't wait to hear how Dilandau sounds, as I'm just happy he won't sound like he's nine years old anymore! Don't get me wrong, I love Andrew Francis and thought his more mature, deeper Dilandau voice in the movie was great, but Dilandau and that chirpy voice just DO NOT go together.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
I can't stand their new way of pronouncing Dilandau's name

Huh? How are they pronouncing it?

Almost like it's two separate words, "Dillon Dow" instead of a smooth extension of the middle syllable to sound more like a single name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Almost like it's two separate words, "Dillon Dow" instead of a smooth extension of the middle syllable to sound more like a single name.

Meh. I don't really mind. Other language dubs have pronounced it that way (German and possibly Spanish dubs). At least they're not pronouncing it as "Di-Lan-Doo" like the Japanese and Italian versions do it. Hey, at least he doesn't sound like he's nine years old anymore, so I'll take it!

Also, as much as I question Vic Mignogna as Folken, I'll definitely give him credit and say that I can actually take him seriously in any serious role he plays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1