• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woomy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
Just to be clear, if you enjoy the show, that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind, or personally insult you even if my post might come off that way. I'm just sometimes brutally honest, and will use a bit of hyperbole to make my point.

Not trying to say all anime fans are like that, but being a part of this community so long and how they usually respond to me speaking what is practically heresy about something like Evangelion, has made me a little salty about the whole thing sometimes lol.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
On the deep nature. I actually did read an article a while back, I am thinking it was this article from Cracked.com, it talks about a lot of the symbolism was just made up on the spot to look cool rather than having intention.

No, it says it doesn't have any Christian intention.

It often surprises me how a member of a foreign culture sees some of it's symbols appropriated in Evangelion and concludes that since the show doesn't want to say anything about the foreign culture, it should be held as a criticism towards the show and not people who misinterpret it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
All anime should have some release with the original Japanese dub and English subtitles. At least, all licensed ones. That includes kids anime. There should always be an option to watch these things unedited.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578
Where would that be an unpopular opinion?

I am an unabashed, unrepentant dub lover who always watches the dub if there is one, but even I think that it is good to have the original with subtitles available.
Even though I will probably never just watch the entire show subtitled, if there is a dub, I do like to be able to make comparisons at times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
^

Apparently Viz Media thinks "Zatch" Bell doesn't deserve a legal option to view it in subtitles.

Seriously, the one show they ruined with edits and cuts, and I can only see the original version with fansubs.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
My biggest unpopular opinion?

The interminable power-ups & multi-episode fight scenes make Dragonball Z just about unwatchable.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
My biggest unpopular opinion?

The interminable power-ups & multi-episode fight scenes make Dragonball Z just about unwatchable.

That's why you need to watch DBZ Abridged. Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
But those are the best part!

Seriously speaking, DBZ Abridged takes most of them out(as well as the entire Garlic Junior saga). It's still a parody, though, so expect things to be not like you know them.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
91 Days is a solid B+ for me. Maybe a B. No lower than that, but I can't give it any higher than a low A-. It's beginning is just too slow, and a lot of the developments only happen because the rest of the characters have below average intelligence. Seriously? Avilio can infiltrate their ranks THAT easily?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The Daily Lives of High School Boys is a better comedy than Gintama.

LOL COME AT ME, BROS. Razz

(seriously though, Gintama has yet to make me laugh but DanshiKousei had me LOLing pretty hard...to the point where others in my house were like "What is so funny?!")
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I almost don't wanna count comedy among Unpopular Opinions since it's the most subjective thing in history.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I normally only do if the series in question is universally hailed as either great or trash and my opinion, or someone else's, is of the opposite opinion. Then I think it's more fair, for lack of better term, to consider it an unpopular opinion by thinking the opposite of the vast majority. Few comedies though are of those categories. Most are more in the middle with fans who like or don't like them in my experience.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I think most comedies that have gotten popular have something going for them besides the humor. GTO has a surprising amount of emotional catharsis to it, and any kid who was bullied or pressured unfairly by adults can easily relate to the non-comedic parts of it. Ouran is mostly loved by critics for being a parody of the shoujo genre and poking fun at things that they grew up with, regardless of whether the show is funny or not when you take that element away. Most people remember Lupin the Third for the character dynamics and adventure elements (or darker elements depending on what version you watched), and often fail to praise its humor among the other things. Some things like Sgt. Frog, Shin-chan, and Ghost Stories are only funny to the masses because of the dubs they got, with most people being split on how funny the original actually is (and a lot of people thinking their dubs are overrated too, frankly). I don't really hear many people talk about Excel Saga, even if I personally liked it (I can see how others would despise it considering how annoying Excel is). While I hear a lot of praise for Konosuba and Sakamoto, I also see people saying they just don't get it.

I think the only comedy anime that I've seen, which everyone agrees is great (or at least everyone I've ever known that saw it) is Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
The Daily Lives of High School Boys is a better comedy than Gintama.

LOL COME AT ME, BROS. Razz

(seriously though, Gintama has yet to make me laugh but DanshiKousei had me LOLing pretty hard...to the point where others in my house were like "What is so funny?!")

Gintama is really boring. I found it less interesting than stuff like Friends and How I Meet Your Mother. I don't understand the appeal of Gintama at all its just poor comedy.

Good comedy anime? K-On! and Nichijou are very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
I think the anime of Toriko is the most tasteful show I have seen with Ryotaro Okiayu as a main character, even though some hate the cheesy atmosphere. Let's see if I can come up with some Gouda puns to express my love of it.

Little salty language, the ingredients are a sweet surprise, no bitter feeling, it never leaves a sour feeling.

Son of a bisque, I wish the anime sold better, as the yummy puns in the dub were hy-sparerib-ical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 84