• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Other than Chobits, isn't every show in that list about high schoolers? For some of us here, high school is decades behind us now. Along with the three shows I mentioned above -- Nodame Cantabile, REC, and Akagami no Shirayuki-hime -- here are a few more suggestions that involve adults:

NHK ni Youkoso! - A hikkikomori meets a young woman who tries to "cure" him of his reclusive ways.

Toshokan Sensou - A series about armed librarians fighting to protect the right to read. The romance involves a young female recruit and the officer who trains her.

Planetes - Another senpai romance like Nodame Cantabile and Toshokan Sensou. In this case the young female recruit is an astronaut assigned to a crew of space "trash collectors" aboard a space station.

Genji Monogatari Sennenki - A beautiful if somewhat slow-moving adaptation of the thousand-year-old "Tale of Genji" about the "Shining Prince" and the various women he romances.

Rokka no Yuusha - Romance isn't the primary motivation of this story, but there is a nicely-developed relationship between two of the main characters.

Saiunkoku Monogatari - The relationship between impoverished princess Shurrei and her male suitor is complicated by the fact that she has a personal agenda that makes romantic entanglements a distraction from her goals.

Kuragehime - A young woman who is enamored with jellyfish moves into a household with other otaku that each have different obsessions like dolls, trains, and older men. One day a disruptive influence appears on their doorstep.

One striking omission from the list of school-based shows above is Cross Game, which follows a boy and girl who are both talented baseball pitchers from ages ten to sixteen or so. Cross Game is one of my all-time favorite anime shows, and one that my now 25-yo daughter chooses to rewatch from time to time even though she is hardly a baseball fan.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
NHK ni Youkoso! - A hikkikomori meets a young woman who tries to "cure" him of his reclusive ways.

To say that Welcome to the NHK has a romance theme is a bit of a stretch, but I'll allow it. Wink
I'm not sure I would recommend it as such, though - too much angst. Smile
NEMO-SNAVE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
What high school romance anime series's are there that are English dubbed? Could any of you please leave a reply with some names thank you Smile
kellyon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
My favs are:
Tokyo Marble Chocolate — A two-part OVA about a couple that are both unlucky in love, told from each of their perspectives.

Nijiiro Days — Multi-perspective slice of high school life with a number of potential couples and one already dating at the start of the series.

Momokuri — A couple of very cute and easily flustered teenagers start dating in a light and fluffy slice of life.

Sakura Trick — Cute girls kissing. No, really, that's most of the series. Mostly lighthearted slice of life in high school with a good amount of yuri.

Ore Monogatari!! — Very light, sweet series about a giant guy that falls in love with a small, cute girl.

Say "I Love You" (Sukitte Ii na yo) — An unsociable girl gets the attention of one of the most popular guys at school and form a bond after an encounter.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien — Tragedy strikes in high school, young adults deal with the fallout years later. Heavy drama if you're into that kind of thing.

She, the Ultimate Weapon (Saishuu Heiki Kanojo/SaiKano) — A clumsy, shy high school girl is turned into a military experiment just as she begins dating a boy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22