• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Female Anime Directors Worth Checking Out

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Can you please put Clamp's X to the new poll? When I was a teen, a female friend recommended me to try X. I was like "No way I'm liking this series". However, I enjoyed it a lot and I'm a bit sad about its cancellation.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
Nice list Smile

As a guy, I chose Fruits basket to recommend to another male reader. It a nice little story on zodiacs with some dark elements in it. Though, my bias is influence here since it's base on nostaglic from when I was a teenager in highschool 10 years ago.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Where's Mari Okada? She made Gundam great again.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Actually, Wit never worked on Silver Spoon; it was A-1 Pictures who animated it.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Where's Mari Okada? She made Gundam great again.

While she's definitely one of the biggest women in anime today, she's a scriptwriter, not a director.

Anyway, is Lelouch really a good pilot?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Can you please put Clamp's X to the new poll? When I was a teen, a female friend recommended me to try X. I was like "No way I'm liking this series". However, I enjoyed it a lot and I'm a bit sad about its cancellation.

You can add it to the poll yourself so long as you're logged in while viewing the poll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
You can add it to the poll yourself so long as you're logged in while viewing the poll.

Weird, mine didn't get added. If I come back to the page, it's populated in the "other" text box. Usually with these polls, it gets its own radio button.

(Can anyone else see if "Arisa by Natsumi Ando" is now in the list?)

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed now.

Last edited by invalidname on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yamada also helmed the film adaptation of A Silent Voice, about a bully and his victim coming to terms with one another, which has been a financial success although reviews have been mixed.
What reviews are you talking about? If this is just first hand experience from a few randoms then I think it's worth mentioning that I thought the movie was absolutely phenomenal. In fact I think it did an amazing job of cementing why Naoko Yamada is one of my favourite anime directors. It's arguably her best work yet. If you're talking about critical reviews then I distinctly remember seeing ads for the movie in Japan where they touted its 94% rating on a review aggregator. Dunno if that was a reliable source but everywhere else I look seems to suggest near universal critical (Or at the very least audience) acclaim.

That aside though, I definitely agree with this list. Specifically Yamada, Matsumoto (Because of Heartcatch Precure) and Yamamoto (Because of Michiko and Hatchin). I feel like Naoko Yamada doesn't get enough credit. The K-On! anime was worlds better than its source material. Season 1 kind of went through the motions a bit, but Season 2 went off on its own with a ton of great anime original content and no 4koma gag comedy structure dragging it down. And then you've got the movie which is 100% anime original.

I really enjoyed A Silent Voice's source material and I highly recommend it. But I think the movie was even better and I feel like Yamada's contribution probably played a big part. There were some (Frankly unfounded) fears that Yamada would hold back on the confronting themes but the truth is very much the opposite. I actually felt a lot more emotionally invested in the character's struggles than I did reading the manga so obviously she's done something very right. It's a definite departure from the likes of Tamako and K-On! tonally, but I could definitely sense Yamada's influence.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Season 1 kind of went through the motions a bit, but Season 2 went off on its own with a ton of great anime original content and no 4koma gag comedy structure dragging it down. And then you've got the movie which is 100% anime original.

There will probably be plenty who'll disagree with me, but I think a good adaptation sticks to the source material closely while making changes to the new medium, while GREAT adaptation exceeds the quality of the original by putting in other things that stick to the spirit of the original. (One that completely go off the rails, like Shrek, are a different matter entirely though.)
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Anyway, is Lelouch really a good pilot?

No, he was pretty bad. Suzaku also loses to Karen at his best so I don't get why he is up there instead of her.

Though the poll didn't ask who had the best piloting skills. Perhaps people were taking into account Lelouch's strategic skills when voting him as 'strongest'.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
well, Lelouch can use his geass from inside the robot, so that makes him strong, I guess...???

regarding chiaki kon, she has a really great skill that sio rare amongst directors in general, she's great at amanging low budgets, of all the listed directors she is the one that worked on more doble-coeur seasons, it's also noticeable how the quality fo her work in sailor moon is noticeable even with dips in quality being generally well spread amongst episodes without having a single episode be particularly worse and all the importatn scenes were aniamted decently while it's the unimportant ones the ones that are bad.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Big fan of Sayo Yamamoto, Soubi Yamamoto and especially Rie Matsumoto. Very much loved Fujiko Mine and am very excited for Yuri on Ice, BBB and Kyousougiga are both among my favorite anime ever, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who legitimately enjoyed Meganebu quite a lot.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
[quote="leafy sea dragon"]
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Season 1 kind of went through the motions a bit, but Season 2 went off on its own with a ton of great anime original content and no 4koma gag comedy structure dragging it down. And then you've got the movie which is 100% anime original.

Quote:
There will probably be plenty who'll disagree with me, but I think a good adaptation sticks to the source material closely while making changes to the new medium, while GREAT adaptation exceeds the quality of the original by putting in other things that stick to the spirit of the original. (One that completely go off the rails, like Shrek, are a different matter entirely though.)

Weird because Shrek despite not being like the book is based on, has its good reception, as well as Shrek 2. Definetely a parody of Fairy Taleswas a better decision than making yet another Fairy Tale movie, and it could have been worse.

Also, I hate manga purists because they think anime adaptations have to be obligatory 1:1 copies(The first 4 episodes of Phoenix Wright prove how bad is to stick too much to the source material). They can have fillers too, just that they should add to the content. But manga purists avoid fillers even when they are good, so I don´t like their way of thinking.

When Black Clover is picked up by Toei or Pierrot, or other studio that wills to give it fillers, it will be the best day ever, because the manga lacks too much on parts, so fillers could do better for it than sticking to the source faithfully(excuse me if I offend you, BC fans)
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
well, Lelouch can use his geass from inside the robot, so that makes him strong, I guess...???

regarding chiaki kon, she has a really great skill that sio rare amongst directors in general, she's great at amanging low budgets, of all the listed directors she is the one that worked on more doble-coeur seasons, it's also noticeable how the quality fo her work in sailor moon is noticeable even with dips in quality being generally well spread amongst episodes without having a single episode be particularly worse and all the importatn scenes were aniamted decently while it's the unimportant ones the ones that are bad.

Are there people that still think that SMC is watchable because the animation improved? Where are the ones that avoid watching the series for the writing, like me? Is better to watch the 90s one
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I ended up picking "Please Save My Earth," with Fruits Basket as a VERY close second (figured FB would end up higher in the poll anyway, but worth mentioning because I love how it explores so many different aspects of love through its many characters: familial, parental/unconditional, romantic, and even toxic/abusive love).

While Please Save My Earth is definitely an older series, it still holds up as one of my favorite shoujo series. I would especially recommend it to anyone who likes some mystery or even a bit of science fiction. There's also a 6-episode OVA adaptation of part of the story (although unfortunately without an conclusive ending) that's worth checking out if you're unsure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4