• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motormind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Shuumatsu no Izetta seems interesting enough. I do hope though that the relationship between the two female leads won't just be yet another faux-yuri affair, where they get very close but not quite make the leap from subtext to to text (yes, I am looking at you, Noir), or where either one of them dies or they have to split up because of ... reasons (yes, I am looking at you, Canaan). If that happens again I will probably swear off watching anime for good. Let my girls finally get their girls!

Last edited by motormind on Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Was Izetta drawn and animated by the Sword Art Online people?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
This season feels strange imo, the mix of the idols and magical girls...

Well so far, the show that impressed me the most is Izetta. Has a lot of potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Muffum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Izetta: The Last Witch - It was fine. I'm not really into wartime drama or politics, and this had a lot more of that than I expected, so that was a bit of a disappointment. Otherwise, I think it worked well. Finé doesn't feel like a particularly unique character, but she's done well enough that it's not really an issue. The antagonists thus far aren't particularly interesting as characters, but they do work as an oppressive force against Finé. There were also a lot of great action pieces, so even if I end up not caring about the plot at large, that'll keep me interested for a while longer. We've yet to really see much of Izetta's character or how her presence will affect the stakes, but if nothing else I'm curious to see that. 3.5/5

Magical Girl Raising Project - I feel like starting with the flash forward to BLOOD AND GUTS AND DEATH YEAAAAAH was a bit of a mistake, since it basically guarantees I'm going to regard every character with loads of suspicion, which feels counter to the rest of this episode's intent. Outside of that, the pacing was bizarre in a lot of places; Koyuki going around and helping people in particular felt like a severely abridged version of a longer scene. The chatroom scene also had that feeling, especially since a big deal was made out of Ripple not saying anything, but the scene goes by so quickly that it isn't that evident within the scene itself. Maybe it's a push to get to the actual meat of the series more quickly, or I'm just overthinking things in light of that flash forward. The rest of the episode was functional, I guess, so I'll probably stick around at least long enough for the twist. 2.5/5
synaia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

No not really BUNBUN the original character designer is rumored to be an alternate name for Abec who is the Sword Art Online artist hence the confusion cause the art looks pretty much the same. The only staff Izetta and SAO II shares is the action animation director, rest is unrelated.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

No not really BUNBUN the original character designer is rumored to be an alternate name for Abec who is the Sword Art Online artist hence the confusion cause the art looks pretty much the same. The only staff Izetta and SAO II shares is the action animation director, rest is unrelated.

It probably is either an alternate name or family. Some male characters on Chronicle Legion legit look like males from alicization.
synaia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

It probably is either an alternate name or family. Some male characters on Chronicle Legion legit look like males from alicization.

I would go with the alternate name theory.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm mildly interested in Izetta, though the witch basically riding a gun felt...weird as an artistic choice. It kind of took me out of the supposedly touching reunion.

synaia wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Even though A-1 Pictures usually hires different freelancers for character design, one way or another they usually do have the same eye shape and boring eyebrows. Right now I only remember Magi, Aldnoah.zero and Grimgar to be somewhat more distinct in design. The difference between Izetta and SAO might be the space between the eyes and the style of clothing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
And with Izetta we have our first shipping pandering garbage show that everyone will endlessly praise because omg subtext.

Why do I even bother with this medium anymore.
synaia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I'm mildly interested in Izetta, though the witch basically riding a gun felt...weird as an artistic choice. It kind of took me out of the supposedly touching reunion.

synaia wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Even though A-1 Pictures usually hires different freelancers for character design, one way or another they usually do have the same eye shape and boring eyebrows. Right now I only remember Magi, Aldnoah.zero and Grimgar to be somewhat more distinct in design. The difference between Izetta and SAO might be the space between the eyes and the style of clothing.

A1 isn't even animating Izetta so I don't get it.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
And with Izetta we have our first shipping pandering garbage show that everyone will endlessly praise because omg subtext.

Why do I even bother with this medium anymore.

Man, you sure do like to be homophobic, don't you.

Its' probably why you were kicked off TvTropes.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Valhern wrote:

A1 isn't even animating Izetta so I don't get it.

Goddamn my bias then. I looked up and it's actually a pretty small studio that only did another 12 episode series, the rest are mostly two or one episode OVAs. It did look quite similar to an A-1 Production which for a studio such as this is no small feat.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

Goddamn my bias then. I looked up and it's actually a pretty small studio that only did another 12 episode series, the rest are mostly two or one episode OVAs. It did look quite similar to an A-1 Production which for a studio such as this is no small feat.

That's probably because of the character designer BunBun who is rumored to be Abec and Abec does the character designs for the SAO LN. Even if they're not the same person BunBun clearly orientates according to those designs. Just take the designs at the end and compare them to Sao's LN art Smile. As far as I know the only staff they share is an animation director for action sequences.

Edit: Alright, found the confirmation that BunBun = Abec so that's where this similarity originates from Smile

Last edited by Mitrospeed on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Dream Festival was awful Magical Girl Raising Project has promise but had an overly expository first episode but hopefully, that will be cut down in later episodes but it also didn't try and stretch out the twist with La Pucelle. Izetta looks promising if only becuese I enjoy how Fine is writen so far and it's nice to see Hayami, Saori in anything for me.

While honestly the suprise of what i've seen so far is Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin with it's beautiful and realisitc depictions of Taiwan streets and the night market to the utter spectical that is the Mech battle to Kaoruko Kazuki and Kanemoto, Hisako's performince as her. So far Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin has to be the one I'm most impressed with.

I still have high hopes for Classacloid so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The image next to the Bubuki/Buranki review I believe is not from that show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 38