• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note: Why do you think no one's made a L prequel series?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woomy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
So Death Note seems to be still going strong. With an American adaption in production on Netflix, to even a recent live action television series, and a new film that's actually continuing the events of the Japanese film adaptions. It's still as popular as ever it seems.

So why has no one decided on making a prequel series focusing on the fan favorite, and arguably best character in the series? And no, I'm not just talking about that rather underwhelming L spinoff movie that came out a few years back, but an actual prequel series exploring how L became such a prestigious detective.

I think this is kind of a no brainer because there's so much potential here. You can have the series start off with a younger, less seasoned L growing in to the legacy he garners, and you don't even have to go in to anything supernatural. In fact, I kind of stress this, DON'T relate it to the Death Note or Shinigami in any way.

Have him take on various serial killers, or small domestic terrorist groups, to even up and coming corrupt politicians I don't know. There's so many possibilities. You can really dive in to his character here too. We'd be exposed and introduced to a L who isn't so perfect, or even capable to handle most things he tackles. He's just a gifted young adult, who they think can really make a difference in this world. An interesting character study of a person who is thrust in to living up to this potential they see in him, and probably even feeling intimidated and stressed out by it.

L's character always did hint at a pretty conflicted person with probably a lot of personal demons because his life was never particularly "normal" so to speak.

Be kind of like L's very own version of Year One ya know. So, um yea. Death Note people, you can have this idea for free. Just make it happen.

What do you guys think of this pitch? Would you be interested?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
I haven't read it yet, but Death Note - Another Note - Los Angeles BB Renzoku Satsujin Jiken seems to be exactly this. It's just the one novel, though.
Woomy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I haven't read it yet, but Death Note - Another Note - Los Angeles BB Renzoku Satsujin Jiken seems to be exactly this. It's just the one novel, though.

I've read it, and that novel kind of focuses more on Naomi Misora than L. Plus, I have my problem with it as, while not trying to spoil it too much, does kind of relates the antagonist to Shinigami in a pretty literal way, that honestly makes no sense and comes out of nowhere.

It's like the author felt the need to connect this spinoff story to Death Note in some way, no matter how nonsensical. That's when the book started to lose me and it felt like I was reading amateur fanfiction.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
while not trying to spoil it too much
You can spoil to your heart's desire, provided you use spoiler tags like so:
Code:
[spoiler]kind of relates the antagonist to Shinigami in a pretty literal way[/spoiler]
results in:
spoiler[kind of relates the antagonist to Shinigami in a pretty literal way]

Hope you find this useful.
EDIT:
Here is a link that you may find useful.
EDIT#2:
Here is another link you may find useful.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone points it out, Another Note does NOT count as an L prequel. It doesn't explain how L became the man he is today. It's just about Naomi Misora's first time working with L.

To say that Another Note is L's backstory is to say Fate/Zero is Saber's backstory. It's really not. It's just an early point in the story where L is essentially the same way he starts out in Death Note. We only see brief flashes into his past, and while seeing more may ruin the mystique of the character for some, I personally believe that he's long overdue for some backstory. If I recall, Watari (who founded Wammy House) met L before doing so. Maybe I'm making up details in my head, but I think it's hinted to be the case. Why not give L his own prequel manga? Is the creator of Death Note doing something else?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1