• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Witch Academia TV Anime Reveals January Debut & Returning Cast, Staff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Good to get a release date, and it's sooner than I was expecting.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
My main concern is whether they can keep up the super-high animation quality of the franchise. I like Studio Trigger's work, but there's a big difference between working for a year on a one hour film and having to churn out half an hour a week.
Tajima

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
My main concern is whether they can keep up the super-high animation quality of the franchise. I like Studio Trigger's work, but there's a big difference between working for a year on a one hour film and having to churn out half an hour a week.

I haven't watched any of their other shows, but they seemed to do alright with Kill la Kill.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

I haven't watched any of their other shows, but they seemed to do alright with Kill la Kill.

Kill la Kill was pretty weak, as far as animation fluidity and consistency goes. Sure some of that was for artistic reasons, but it was definitely not the most polished production out there.
Tajima

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Tajima wrote:

Kill la Kill was pretty weak, as far as animation fluidity and consistency goes. Sure some of that was for artistic reasons, but it was definitely not the most polished production out there.

Alright; well, I was fine with it. I guess you have super high standards or something.

And in that case, you should probably prepare to be disappointed.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, I am very hyped! So glad that the other trio will be returning. I really hope they keep up with the quality that the OVAs have.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
Alright; well, I was fine with it. I guess you have super high standards or something.

The main reason it's being brought up is because the other LWA productions they have made were superbly animated.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
The premier is much sooner than I expected which is great since I love Little Witch Academia and I have been looking forward to the tv series ever since it was first announced. Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Sorry, I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything. Plenty of people liked the visuals in Kill la Kill, as did I, at least from an art design and creativity perspective. But I don't think KLK compares very favorably to Little Witch Academia in terms of actual technical animation quality. Mostly just by the nature of TV production, like BodaciousSpacePirate mentioned. But on the other hand, other studios are capable of producing some pretty high quality stuff, so hopefully we'll all be surprised. Trigger is sort of notoriously a bunch of kid-at-heart guys who like to goof around though, so it's hard to imagine them being able to keep to a schedule perfectly.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
Something to look forward to in the often-weak Winter season.
Eulogy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

I made an account just to reply to this, and while I love Kill la Kill, they did not do alright. The BDs contained a loooot of fixes. Stylistic choices but also heaps of things they forgot to do because they simply ran out of time. I just hope Little Witch Academia isn't rushed as much as Kill la Kill was.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Oh this is pretty nice news! Good to know another promising title is premiering this Winter. This along with Rakugo and ACCA will be among my most anticipating titles. Though I'll just wait till Spring to watch LWA since Netflix got the streaming rights and knowing them they'll just upload the series in full instead of airing them weekly.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Eulogy wrote:
I made an account just to reply to this, and while I love Kill la Kill, they did not do alright. The BDs contained a loooot of fixes. Stylistic choices but also heaps of things they forgot to do because they simply ran out of time. I just hope Little Witch Academia isn't rushed as much as Kill la Kill was.
The thing with Kill La Kill is a lot of things were done deliberately, in the making of when editing the intro, the director wanted the title to be choppy as it came together. He even said full frame animation is the proper way to do it, but Japanese animation came about through limited animation, and that according to him is what makes it special.
A lot of people called out the use of Harmony cels (these thingshttp://md1.libe.com/photo/674408-harmony20cel2001.jpg?modified_at=1409736341&width=975 ) as cheap, but the art director put them in deliberately.

The point I'm trying to make, is that while it may not have the same level as the Young Animator Training Program and the Kickstarter project. Kill La Kill is not a good example to use, as they won't try to make it like that.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
LWA just seems like some story about a klutz who has a Secret Power so I'm not very excited about this. In my experience Trigger can't muster up any interesting ideas in the writing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Eulogy wrote:
The thing with Kill La Kill is a lot of things were done deliberately, in the making of when editing the intro, the director wanted the title to be choppy as it came together. He even said full frame animation is the proper way to do it, but Japanese animation came about through limited animation, and that according to him is what makes it special.
A lot of people called out the use of Harmony cels (these thingshttp://md1.libe.com/photo/674408-harmony20cel2001.jpg?modified_at=1409736341&width=975 ) as cheap, but the art director put them in deliberately.

The point I'm trying to make, is that while it may not have the same level as the Young Animator Training Program and the Kickstarter project. Kill La Kill is not a good example to use, as they won't try to make it like that.

While that's true to an extent, and Imaishi is well known for his limited style, I get the feeling that if he had really wanted to make the show look traditionally great, he wouldn't have been able to, and this was an easy way to sort of cover his ass, and still manage to put something out with artistic flare. Like, Eulogy noted, there are a lot of fixes on the BDs. They obviously had plenty of scheduling issues, even with the limited style. I'm in the same boat as Eulogy here. I love KLK, but it was not a smooth production, and even if they wanted it to look much better, they wouldn't have been able to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2