• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Begins Running in Europe, Middle East, Africa

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
As the kids say, top kek.

Funimation hasn't even released the Buu arc of Kai, the rest of the world's beating them to Super. Maybe Ocean can do a secret dub of this, too, for Canada. Of course, they'd end up shelfing that like their Kai dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Toei saving the best last...the very last. Laughing
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Now everyone there can listen to these tunes while watching in their respective languages. Laughing

Though I'm pretty sure the Hebrew & Portuguese dubs have already gotten past their debuts since those have been airing for a while now.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
U.S. Toonami is almost done with DBZ Kai without Buu. So would be interesting to see what's going to happen in about 2 months or so.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation hasn't even released the Buu arc of Kai, the rest of the world's beating them to Super.

Arguably, though, none of that really matters to Funimation, as long as no other US company manages to grab Super out from under them. So, taking a look at who could do that:

Crunchyroll - With their new partnership with Funimation, this seems less than likely. Even if Crunchyroll did get it, Funimation would end up dubbing it anyway. Think of how this would effect the ability of Super to get on TV, though.

Netflix or Amazon - These two seem like the most likely parties, but neither of these companies would really benefit from putting Super on television once they have it on their sites. Is Toei interested in making that kind of deal?

Warner Brothers - They appear to be out of the game after their JoJo fiasco.

Sentai or Discotek - Having Super would be a major gamechanger for either of these companies, but if money is what's keeping Funimation from bringing Super to the US, then I doubt Sentai or Discotek can pony up the cash, either.

Viz - I honestly have no idea what would happen if the company whose Sailor Moon re-release has caused so much fan outrage were to get their hands on Dragonball, too. At the very least, we know they have the rights to the manga adaptation.

Media Blasters - Sorry, Media Blasters, but I don't believe for a single second that you could handle this license right now.

Ponycanyon, NIS, or Aniplex - doesn't seem to fit in with their catalogues of limited-run prestige format releases.

Any I missed? I can't see someone like Disney wanting this, but you never know.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wow people still care about DBZ ? I grow out of it, but hey strong passion I guess.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Wow people still care about DBZ ? I grow out of it, but hey strong passion I guess.

I saw a guy on tumblr a few months ago who had DBZ tattoos covering his body. There are still a lot of people who consider it the "end-all-be-all" of anime, although the more enlightened of us know that title actually belongs to Bikini Warriors.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
And the main reason for why the show is available in those countries is *drum roll* TV broadcasting licence. Well, the Portugal and Israel deal was known for a few months now.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Media Blasters - Sorry, Media Blasters, but I don't believe for a single second that you could handle this license right now.

Dragon Ball Super on unplayable DVD-Rs would be lovely wouldn't it? Rolling Eyes
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
It hurt them THAT badly? Ouch.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
It makes absolutely no sense to exclude the US from this release. English isn't your native language and you don't want to read subtitles? Choose between a Spanish, French, Hebrew, German or Portuguese dub. I doubt that people who are such hardcore fans of the series are going to stand idly by while a good portion of the world gets to watch the series.

I'm guessing that both Toei is trying to hold out for more money, but they're only going to hurt themselves. This isn't 1997 anymore. Fans aren't dependent on Toonami for their anime releases. If Toei refuses to release it in the US because it wants more money, fans can easily buy foreign Blu-Ray. Among other things...
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

The last two movies did pretty well, if I recall, so it still has a massive audience.

Personally, I'm not into anime as much as before although Dragonball is one of the few series I still like to watch again and again.

As for Super, quality has been up and down for me but the new arc has been amazing so far.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
I still stand by the belief that the rest of Kai will be released once Toonami catches up; we already know from Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert that a dub is coming. Once that finishes, they'll go to Super. Expect the Kai arc to come around December or next year, and Super to come 14 months after that.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
The Portuguese dub started 3 weeks ago (24 September) for all that I know, only watched the first episode to see how it was, probably won't bother with it since I'm caught up with the Japanese broadcast...

Though I'm still surprised that Portugal was one of the firsts, even with half of the cast dead.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation hasn't even released the Buu arc of Kai, the rest of the world's beating them to Super.

Arguably, though, none of that really matters to Funimation, as long as no other US company manages to grab Super out from under them. So, taking a look at who could do that:

Crunchyroll - With their new partnership with Funimation, this seems less than likely. Even if Crunchyroll did get it, Funimation would end up dubbing it anyway. Think of how this would effect the ability of Super to get on TV, though.

Netflix or Amazon - These two seem like the most likely parties, but neither of these companies would really benefit from putting Super on television once they have it on their sites. Is Toei interested in making that kind of deal?

Sentai or Discotek - Having Super would be a major gamechanger for either of these companies, but if money is what's keeping Funimation from bringing Super to the US, then I doubt Sentai or Discotek can pony up the cash, either.

Viz - I honestly have no idea what would happen if the company whose Sailor Moon re-release has caused so much fan outrage were to get their hands on Dragonball, too. At the very least, we know they have the rights to the manga adaptation.

Ponycanyon, NIS, or Aniplex - doesn't seem to fit in with their catalogues of limited-run prestige format releases.

Any I missed? I can't see someone like Disney wanting this, but you never know.

I got a good laugh from this. I can't believe people actually think another company could license a Dragon Ball series or movie other than Funimation. I obviously don't have any facts to back this up but I'm pretty sure Toei and Funimation have a deal in place where they automatically get the license. I mean I guess Amazon would have the money to outbid them but Funimation would be destroyed if they didn't get it. I'm also pretty certain its Toei who is holding back Kai and Super and not Funimation from an United States release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3