• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fake Browser Update Redirect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately, I haven't had these problems. Good on ANN for correcting the issues as soon as possible.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Is this the reason why the ANN tab that I leave open in the background will get flagged by McAfee after a couple minutes? I had to turn AdBlock back on for the site because of that (sorry guys).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I have had this happen on a number of sites recently besides ANN. They where all accomplished using window.open and having the content base64 encoded. Not sure how they got around the normal sanitization of ads through...

Those sites still haven't fixed there problems so good for you guys admitting the issues and attempting to address it. Very Happy
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I have gotten this alot on here but not only site that has this problem. I believe its from the ads that play a video with it. Those ads also make your site slow so whenever those pop in I usually close the tab for this site and check later.

I use sandboxie so I'm not scared of anything bad happening just hate the slow down it sometime causes
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this come up once or twice, but not for a few days now. It's been so long since I've had to deal with any sort of spyware/malware that it was definitely something of a shock. Glad to see it's being combated.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I fixed my browser settings so that no redirects can activate without my permission. I haven't run into this on ANN, but I have encountered it on other sites I use regularly like MAL, which is why I made that change to my settings.
Kingoanime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Thank you guys so much! I was worried my computer caught a virus or something. I'm glad you guys responded to it so well and quickly!
kuokami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I was happy to read the post as I have received some of these redirects.

Clicking on the newest answerman tonight I just received another one.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I just had this happen to me after reading this article.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for looking into this. Like a number of other users, this has been happening to me on a couple of other sites too, most notably MAL.

Amusingly enough, it just happened to me as I was reading Girlish Number impressions... I'll be right back.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I never got these. I wonder if that's due to me using a Mac, or if it's just luck.

Certainly, a red flag is the word "you" in place of "your." No professional organization will let a spelling mistake that plain stay up for that long.

GaryNhk wrote:
I have gotten this alot on here but not only site that has this problem. I believe its from the ads that play a video with it. Those ads also make your site slow so whenever those pop in I usually close the tab for this site and check later.

I use sandboxie so I'm not scared of anything bad happening just hate the slow down it sometime causes

Some of the more malicious endeavors at this shady kind of advertisement will install things onto your computer without your permission and likely without you even knowing, which will then mess with your computer in certain ways.

Back during the Windows 98 days, I got this adware that would outright replace certain webpages at random with their full-page ads. Reloading didn't work. It would just reload the ad. The only ways to actually visit that site again were to clear the computer's cookies or, as I searched after getting extremely frustrated at it, use Spoybot Search & Destroy (remember that?), which caught it and safely removed it.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Well,that hasn't happened to me yet. Thankfully,some very kind people helped me put Ad Blocker on my laptop,so I don't have to worry about stuff like that these days. Hopefully,nobody else has to encounter stuff like this.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,that hasn't happened to me yet. Thankfully,some very kind people helped me put Ad Blocker on my laptop,so I don't have to worry about stuff like that these days. Hopefully,nobody else has to encounter stuff like this.

Adblocker is great for some things, but if you use it on all of the legit sites that you visit and want to support, you're, unfortunately, not helping at all. They need that ad revenue to survive.

Edit: Didn't realize you were a subscriber. In that case, good on you! Smile

Last edited by relyat08 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

Even if you didn't have Ad Blocker, it probably wouldn't affect you anyway because of the Subscriber ad control settings. For instance, I have it set so that the only ad skins I get are SFW ad skins like today's AkibaFest skin. The ANN subscriber settings actually work really well with Ad Blocker, because you can disable Ad Blocker just for fast.animenewsnetwork.com, which will turn Ad Blocker back on when you aren't logged in.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The conflict between the necessity of ad revenue and the problem of malicious ads just kills me. I use an ad blocker most places, and kick in other ways if there's an option (*points to Subscriber badge*), but there's not always a way to make up for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3