• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reported Problems With Marnie Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
Not to be mean or anything, I rarely buy DVD/Blu-Ray any more (digital downloads are now my thing) - but it seems like there's a lot of playback issues/recalls and delays with the UK anime market. You guys okay, or just getting the short end of the stick from the bigger publishers? Sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Worry not, Vee-Tee. We'll likely shrug it off once replacements are issued. (Stiff upper-lip and whatnot.) Studio Canal have the wherewithal to amend the problem, given the breadth of their business operations. Perhaps Marnie simply wasn't there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the disc itself yet, but the "collectors edition" is possibly one of the worst DVD/BD packages I've had in terms of getting it open (out of about 2k discs from the UK, US and Aus).

it's taken me about 5-10 minutes to get the inner sleeve with the discs and postcards out of the outer card.
I've noticed a similar but far less severe problem with a few of the other collectors editions, and suspect it's basically that the outer sleeve is slightly too thin for the inner once it's got the postcards it it (probably a standard width and if there is one card more than that was designed for there is an issue).

I ended up opening the back end (which isn't meant to be opened) so I could push the inner out, worrying all the time about the amount of force that I was having to use, even then it took several minutes.

[edit]
Yup it's doing it on my player, it sounds like the read head is doing a major seek (same as a chapter skip) every 2-3 seconds.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Worry not, Vee-Tee. We'll likely shrug it off once replacements are issued. (Stiff upper-lip and whatnot.) Studio Canal have the wherewithal to amend the problem, given the breadth of their business operations. Perhaps Marnie simply wasn't there.

Yeah, but this is a job. Wouldn't you want to make sure it was done right first time around so you don't have to wind up issuing recalls or apologising to customers? Not casting aspersions, I'm just noting that it seems to happen a lot in our corner of the world and I'm beginning to wonder if we're just getting the short end of the stick compared to other regions.
sickthing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I picked up a copy of the Blu Ray/DVD combo today from HMV.

Just tried watching the Blu Ray disc but only made it 5 minutes in, no skipping but so much noise from my Blu Ray it was ruining the film, having to settle for watching the DVD for the moment.

Have Studio Canal issued a statement yet? Is there a contact address for replacement discs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nilrem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
I received a reply in regard to an email I sent to them last week.

Quote:

Hello (wrong name)

We have now established a player specific problem effecting the When Marnie Was There Blu-ray disc, a new disc is currently being replicated and will be available in the coming weeks in October.

As you have unfortunately been effected by this problem please contact: [email protected]

Our sincere apologies for this technical error.

Studiocanal

I suspect given they used the wrong name in my reply they've possibly received a number of emails and are sending out a form reply,
But it's good to see they're going to fix it Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1