• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Drifters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Fadeout4 wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Seru's sagging breasts in the 3D presentation of the characters look so weird.

To be fair, the breasts on the men at like 2:28 are doing the same "sagging" animation, lmao

Covnam wrote:
I asked this in the preview thread, but it got (expectedly) lost in the shuffle. So, for those who have seen it, would you mind letting me know if this looks likes it's censored? ie; blacked out scenes, beams of light etc. Just based on the Hellsing pedigree, I would expect copious amounts of gore and often that gets covered up, so I was just curious.
Thanks Smile

Miraculously, it's not really censored at all Smile

Now I can't unsee it, it's really weird, it's like they are giggling or something, I think it's just supposed a light effect of the animation but if you look at it like that, then yeah.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
They released an OVA episode for this series in June 2016

OVA = Episode 1 & 2 pretty much

There's no new content in the first 2 episodes of the series thus far..
Fadeout4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Fadeout4 wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Seru's sagging breasts in the 3D presentation of the characters look so weird.

To be fair, the breasts on the men at like 2:28 are doing the same "sagging" animation, lmao

Covnam wrote:
I asked this in the preview thread, but it got (expectedly) lost in the shuffle. So, for those who have seen it, would you mind letting me know if this looks likes it's censored? ie; blacked out scenes, beams of light etc. Just based on the Hellsing pedigree, I would expect copious amounts of gore and often that gets covered up, so I was just curious.
Thanks Smile

Now I can't unsee it, it's really weird, it's like they are giggling or something, I think it's just supposed a light effect of the animation but if you look at it like that, then yeah.

Sorry if I ruined that scene for you! Anime hyper

It's either a wonky lighting effect, or them making fun of themselves for emphasizing Olminu's boobs earlier in the opening. I have no idea, and I wouldn't be surprised at either hahaha.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Fadeout4 wrote:

Sorry if I ruined that scene for you! Anime hyper

It's either a wonky lighting effect, or them making fun of themselves for emphasizing Olminu's boobs earlier in the opening. I have no idea, and I wouldn't be surprised at either hahaha.

For some reason I also forgot her correct name, it was Shem Olmine, not Seru.

I think they might correct Olmine, but those guys were most likely deliberately done like that.
Fadeout4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

There is new content. The OVA was a bunch of edited content from the first two episodes, but it didn't have everything. The opening battle in episode 1 was way longer than in the OVA, for example. Besides, the subtitles in the OVA SUCK, and it's only 480p. 480p is no way to enjoy a beautiful anime like this.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

As far as I recall, it's as explicit as the manga, which is quite a bit. It's pretty gorish, but uh...not on a ridiculous level, and I don't think they've exactly censored anything.

Fadeout4 wrote:

Thanks!
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
I feel like it's difficult to convey Hirano's style of humour. It's very cathartic and quirky, added to balance out the ultra violent battle scenes in both Hellsing and Drifters. I feel like Drifters has actually done quite well with this. It's an artistic contrast that makes the show somewhat like a gory sitcom, which is exactly what it is. I didn't come to Drifters looking for much of a story (although it looks like we're going to get some interesting stuff) I wanted a bombastic battle between historic figures with plenty of blood and action. I can't wait for ep 3! Smile
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's difficult to convey his sense of humor. I think a lot of people don't share it. And I feel like he's indulging himself at the expense of the narrative, which he himself has admitted he does since he doesn't GAF about his readers. That's all fine, but that means his stuff is jarring for anyone who isn't like him.
nakobass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Seen the first 2 episodes and LOVE everything about it. Only issue I see is that you really have to look up the Characters history to really appreciate them. Which I plan to do very soon.
Baskerville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Fadeout4 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

There is new content. The OVA was a bunch of edited content from the first two episodes, but it didn't have everything. The opening battle in episode 1 was way longer than in the OVA, for example. Besides, the subtitles in the OVA SUCK, and it's only 480p. 480p is no way to enjoy a beautiful anime like this.

Also, the new content in ep 2 that's not in the OVA is the fist fight in the desert between Hannibal and Scipio...which I found pretty amusing.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
watching Joan of Arc act like a psychotic arsonist while Anastasia simultaneously freezes people to death is quite the surreal experience. I'm not sure yet how well it works to make these figures into bloodthirsty villains, but I want to give the story more time to flesh out their motivations before making any snap judgments.

Seeing how the drifter were "abducted" just before their supposed death, I think it would make sense to assume the same applied to the Ends, if so it would justify joan's demeanor on this episode. remember she was sentenced to be burned at the stake on a rigged trial. so on her last living moments she would be feeling her flesh being burn while resenting the pettiness of the society she fought for. If that happened to me I would also want to see the world burn (pun intended) from there to how she actually got magic powers, let's go with "easy did it"

From there, I am having the Idea that ends are historical figures just as the drifter, but that died while harbouring great resentment and/or negative feelings. which would imply some interesting food for thoughts if James theory about the black king is correct.

On another note, regarding this series' humor. While most of the preview guide agreed that it was rather weird, I actually found it funny on the first 2 episode but that would be because I was familiar with the references, so I thought it was aimed at history buffs. but on this episode the theme was mainly senile living and out of context bickering, I guess i am not as much of a roman empire geek to understand the implied relation between the two old men, but regardless of that I think the whole "we are old isn't that funny" felt flat for me
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Glorious nonsense this episode was. It was overstuffed,but at least it got all those character introductions out of the way. Loving the show's take on Joan of Arc.
chaccide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh Kouta, really? That's who the evil king is? That's so... trite. But, Kouta likes to think he's edgy and original so we'll just leave him with that illusion and not tell him about South Park.

On another note, I liked Butch and Sundance, though I can't help wishing they looked a little more like Redford and Newman. ;)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that the Ends had the common thread of being martyrs, and or wrongfully executed, so of course I thought that the Black King can be no one else other than spoiler[Jesus]. No one else has seemed to want to actually say the name. Are people going to get offended or something?
nobody knows

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Joan of Arc is a bae Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10