• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Occultic;Nine

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I only saw the first episode, but this was the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I loved Steins;Gate and I've heard good things about the VNs for Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes, but this was just a mess in the exact way Gabriella described. It felt like the story didn't have any room to breathe or create any kind of atmosphere and the entire show felt like it was on speed. Unless I hear that it suddenly starts improving, I won't be following it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I was first drawn into the show by the voice actors (Miyuki Sawashiro, Ayane Sakura) and the fact that Yokoyama(Your Lie in April) is the music composer.

After the first episode, my reaction is similar to the review. The show so far has been an incomprehensible rambling.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Some corrections.

1. The one that contacted Yuta on his radio telling him to pull out Hashigami's gold-tooth-key thing wasn't Ryoka. We have no idea who it was. The voice sounded less like that of a young girl and more one that was purposefully distorted in order to disguise itself.

2. Miyuu Aikawa telling Sarai about his father happened a few days before his father died.

3. The curses of the black magic lady are implied not to kill her victims, just scare the shit out of them and generally make them miserable. The ghost isn't supposed to kill anyone who she curses, but from the way he spoke, it seems like he was planning on doing it anyway.

I was generally able to follow these first episodes better than most it seems, but it still jumps around too much for my liking. I checked out a bit of the first novel on that new J-Novel site (basically Crunchyroll except with LNs) and it has a much more smooth pace, and it sets things up a lot better. It too jumps between different perspectives but it doesn't do so at the drop of a hat, rather each chapter puts us in the shoes of someone else.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm of the thought that the use of "then" & "and" as opposed to "thus" & "but" is pretty intentional, since my understanding here is that the causal links are meant to be the primary mystery. It's an interesting take and it certainly has an inherently "occultic" feel because it puts you in the position of trying to find that otherworldly perspective from which the narrative becomes linear and logical. I feel like if Jeff Goldblum's character from Independence Day was here, we'd already have this thing solved.

This shouldn't be construed as a complaint though, since I'm honestly loving the show so far. I'm don't find myself missing the supposedly critical connective tissue that others are claiming is missing. I don't find myself bothered by the speed. I don't even find myself confused.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched this yet, but I was thinking of just waiting until the light novel is completely translated so the anime might come across as less confusing.

I read the visual novels for Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate before watching their respective anime and I think that enhanced my experience somewhat. Especially with Chaos;Head since the anime really made the original story confusing to follow. Steins;Gate though was great in either medium, which is why it's been so successful.

Robotics;Notes was sort of a mixture between the two. I only watched the anime since the visual novel never received a translation, but the biggest problem of that anime was it trying to fit all the routes into 22 episodes. So the results were mixed overall.

God help Occultic;Nine if it goes down the 12 episode route like Chaos;Head. From what I've read so far, it looks like it's information overload in just 2 episodes.
Joanerma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem to really hate this show which i can get as episode ones pacing was simply horrid. But i think episode two was a massive improvement as it fixed the pacing and generally made some characters much more likable. Given that the anime is gonna have to delve into its own content as the third novel was canceled i am genuinely curious to see exactly where this show goes.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm part of the group that's not confused at all. The show's honestly been pretty easy to follow, even during the hectic premiere.

The thing is, I think this is a show that slowly paints the picture starting from a lot of different points. Of course we don't know everything that's going on, we're not supposed to.

What is concerning is how much of the entire story the light novels have covered. As I said, this kind of story gets really satisfying by the end, so if the anime will stop halfway through, that would be bad for it.

Anyways, I had resigned myself before it started to watch the anime as only a fun ride that probably won't be complete, and later get the visual novel since that's just what feels right for the Sci-ADV series.

I just hope they give Chaos;Child 2 cours.

Joanerma wrote:
as the third novel was canceled

Wait, seriously? Do you have a source? I guess that means the VN will end up being the main product.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
While all these complaints are valid - and Ryoka's breasts can most definitely be a huge turn off to the good qualities of the show - I'm genuinely enjoying Occultic;Nine. I haven't actually found the show anywhere near as hard to follow and am pleasantly enjoying what it's offering.

Definitely can't recommend it to others currently though. It's a very flawed series for sure and one that tends to reinforce those flaws rather than surpass them.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it's just some odd directorial choices (and possibly trying to cram too much stuff into every episode) that's making it so hard to follow. Being a little bit curious, I read the first chapter at J-Novel Club, and it DEFINITELY feels much better paced than this (also much easier to understand). Even the protagonist becomes a bit more tolerable when you're not forced to go through these events at Mach 20.

Regardless, I'm mildly enjoying this one. It's not "good" right now (the show; can't judge the LN just yet), but it has enough interesting hooks to keep me going. At worst it'll give me enough reason to continue the source material (which we can thankfully get rather easily).

Also, what's this about the 3rd novel being canceled? I've been looking around, but I can't find that info anywhere.

Last edited by Via_01 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Already reading Gabriella's reviews is paying dividends for me. For example, I had not realized that Black Curse Girl was the same girl who lived with her dead brother for a while and that Devil Ghost is the dead brother. Nor did I realize that Chi's kidnapper might be Big Tits Doujin Lady.

I'm glad somebody's taking notes so that I don't have to.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I admit that it is not easy to keep up with everything going on in Occultic;Nine, but I am intrigued and interested in finding out what happens next. The first episode was messy, but episode 2 did a good job starting to clarify what is going on. Watching this anime might be a challenge, but I am cool with that.

Videogamep wrote:
I loved Steins;Gate and I've heard good things about the VNs for Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes

I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that Occultic;Nine is not connected/related to the other semicolon shows.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that Occultic;Nine is not connected/related to the other semicolon shows.

They are not. However, it seems like the Sci-ADV VNs (Chaos, Steins, Robotics) exist as games within the universe of Occultic;Nine and the upcoming Anonymous;Code. I'm still not sure if O;N and A;C themselves are related, though.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Occultic;Nine is something, alright. I've watched every semicolon animation except Robotics;Notes, and well...I can at least say they're all very different viewing experiences. I remember I watched the first six episodes of Chaos;Note in one sitting, and all the next day I kept thinking about it and saying "If it can keep this up, this might be one of the best shows I've watched in a really long time."

And then the second half happened.

What I'm trying to say is that so far I'm feeling reeeeeeeallly annoyed with this show and its cast of cardboard cutouts. But if it can turn into something really interesting by the second half, it might be really good. Certain plot points are really interesting, but the characters....hm.

Also, does boob girl remind anyone else of a knockoff Mayuri? I think Mayuri's an okay character, but...why, guys? Is that your type?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I'm the only person who thought the second episode was worse than the first, and specifically because it sort of slowed down and had less Gamotan.
LegendAqua

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
Also, does boob girl remind anyone else of a knockoff Mayuri? I think Mayuri's an okay character, but...why, guys? Is that your type?

Kinda funny u brought that up as Ryoka's VA Ayane Sakura has a relationship fangirl to Mayuri's VA Kana Hanazawa Very Happy. So maybe paying homage to that. Odd as I seen this types of roles to Ayane and Kana like in Psycho Pass 2 and Nisekoi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6