• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water [Limited Edition] Blu-Ray 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Total click bait, honestly; I thought "first version of the story to reach the west but is it the best one?" meant it was being compared to Chivalry of a Failed Knight yet again. But no, the review meant adaptation. What a let down as it's the one category where being unoriginal scores points rather than not.

Still, I stuck around longer for this review than the show.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Total click bait, honestly; I thought "first version of the story to reach the west but is it the best one?" meant it was being compared to Chivalry of a Failed Knight yet again. But no, the review meant adaptation.

Uh... I can't say I really understand how you thought that "The Asterisk War anime was the first version of this story to reach the west, but is it the best one?" meant a comparison between The Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight, but ok.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We know from Claudia that executives have to cut emotional ties with candidates (which actually might go a long way to explaining her behavior, given that her mother is one),

That seems like a misunderstanding. Executives have their emotions cut off period.

Anyway, pretty fair review. C+ for the whole thing would have I think been a bit rough, but the start is dragged down a lot by the whole harem building thing. I actually didn't realize Julis had so little fan service until the review mentioned it.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The English dub is generally good, with the exception of Claudia and Kirin, who both try a bit too hard to match their Japanese counterparts.

This is why I believe it's more important for a dub actor's voice and performance to fit the personality of the character that they're playing than to imitate the original seiyuu. Unfortunately, doing that will cause some fans to cry out that "the dub voices don't match" because they sound different than their Japanese counterparts despite how good the performances actually are.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
The sub had some issues when kirin was introduced. Whenever she said amagiri-senpai they just had the text say ayato and on one occasion "hello". I may not be anywhere near a master of the language but I don't think "amagiri-Sempai" is a form of greeting.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Unfortunately, doing that will cause some fans to cry out that "the dub voices don't match" because they sound different than their Japanese counterparts despite how good the performances actually are.

They basically never match the Japanese VAs anyway so anyone actually complaining about that needs their hearing checked.

Zoneflare wrote:
The sub had some issues when kirin was introduced. Whenever she said amagiri-senpai they just had the text say ayato and on one occasion "hello". I may not be anywhere near a master of the language but I don't think "amagiri-Sempai" is a form of greeting.

I'm curious, did you check to see what they said on the dubbed track?
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Unfortunately, doing that will cause some fans to cry out that "the dub voices don't match" because they sound different than their Japanese counterparts despite how good the performances actually are.

They basically never match the Japanese VAs anyway so anyone actually complaining about that needs their hearing checked.

Zoneflare wrote:

I'm curious, did you check to see what they said on the dubbed track?

Oh didn't think about that.
captokita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
Wait, the release is only 6 episodes? What is this, 1990 again? Ok, that far back and it would be 2 episodes, but c'mon. Releasing a HALF season for the price of a FULL season is bullsqueeze no matter how you look at it. BD to boot. No thanks.
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
captokita wrote:
Wait, the release is only 6 episodes? What is this, 1990 again? Ok, that far back and it would be 2 episodes, but c'mon. Releasing a HALF season for the price of a FULL season is bullsqueeze no matter how you look at it. BD to boot. No thanks.

This has been SOP for Aniplex USA for some years now....
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
MarineCorps wrote:
captokita wrote:

This has been SOP for Aniplex USA for some years now....

Yeah, I agree. This shouldn't be a surprise. Aniplex wants your soul!
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
We know from Claudia that executives have to cut emotional ties with candidates (which actually might go a long way to explaining her behavior, given that her mother is one),

That seems like a misunderstanding. Executives have their emotions cut off period.

Anyway, pretty fair review. C+ for the whole thing would have I think been a bit rough, but the start is dragged down a lot by the whole harem building thing. I actually didn't realize Julis had so little fan service until the review mentioned it.
You think that's harsh? That's NOTHING compared to this.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Anyway, pretty fair review.
You think that's harsh?

Are you trolling me or what? Because I clearly said it was a pretty fair review. So, no, I don't think that was harsh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1