• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Anime's Promo Video Teases Z-Moves

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
One question - just how much are Team Rocket popular to still be present?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Sun and Moon sounds like its going to be a trainwreck. Ash design its freaking ugly. Instead of improving the quality they make him look like a goofy moron. Ash to school in a different region than kanto?! Sure, the anime series was never a masterpiece with a bit blend plot. It still was always enjoyable to watch.

Im also really debating if i should buy the games or not this time around. I always bough them, however this time despite looking really amazing it feels different. Taking out the gym system really annoys me somehow.
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I often wonder if Ash'll even be catching Pokemon in Sun & Moon. Confused
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
One question - just how much are Team Rocket popular to still be present?

As far as I know, they are well-received in XY, due being as comedic as always, but they retained some of their compentency from Best Wishes. Their Pokémon are especially lovely in XY, (Inkay and Gourgeist are both adorable, and Woobbuffet is surprisingly competent). It would be shame not to see their Pokémon in Sun & Moon. Best Wishes was almost like a reboot, thus they couldn't bring any Pokémon to Unova, and their Unova Pokémon had no personalities whatsover, so losing them was kind of okay. Not to mention that Alola has Pokémon from several regions, so it their Pokémon wouldn't be out of place there.

But like Ash, they tend to bond with their Pokémon and then leave them behind (both of them have still two Pokémon at the HQ). Since Ash is in Alola, I don't think why Team Rocket shouldn't come back, especially with that weird setting and tone of Sun&Moon. Having Team Skull as episodic villains doesn't work well in my opinion, even though they are the most wacky team I've ever seen. And since there is an Alola Meowth, there could be a cool dynamic between TR Meowth with Alola Meowth.

Since Z-Crystal works with any Pokémon, that would be a good chance to give Team Rocket some power to make them more threatening, although Meowth would have some difficulty since he has no trainer and is technically a wild Pokémon.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Im also really debating if i should buy the games or not this time around. I always bough them, however this time despite looking really amazing it feels different. Taking out the gym system really annoys me somehow.

After playing the demo, I can only say two things.

1) Riding on a Tauros is much more fun than riding a bicycle. Seriously, travelling on Pokémons' backs is so much fun.

1) You can't sit on chairs or benches. My rating: 7.8. Wink
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
It's going to take me a while to get used to this animation.

Did they make this for 1-5 year olds?
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Luke's JRPG Channel wrote:
It's going to take me a while to get used to this animation.

Did they make this for 1-5 year olds?

Isn't Pokemon for 1-5 year olds (and a little older I guess) in the first place? I mean, you're allowed to like it, but let's not kid ourselves as to who the target audience really is.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Sun and Moon sounds like its going to be a trainwreck. Ash design its freaking ugly. Instead of improving the quality they make him look like a goofy moron. Ash to school in a different region than kanto?! Sure, the anime series was never a masterpiece with a bit blend plot. It still was always enjoyable to watch.

One of the people that previewed Sun and Moon said that there was a school in the game where you learned more about battling and battled strong trainers. There's also the fact that Kukui made it to Kantos E4 in the games, wouldn't be surprised if this made it into the anime too and he offered to tutor Ash. He IS staying at his house after all, they have some sort of relationship and I'm betting that Kukui was the one that convinced Ash to stay in Alola.

Also, Sun and Moon are plot driven games, but the anime runs as long as the generation lasts, so at least 3 years. They had to compensate for the lack of gyms somehow. My guess is Ash will only spend a little while at the school before he goes to do the trials.
mirzateuku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
lol at all these non-pokemon fans talking smack about pokemon sun&moon. And no pokemon anime would not be the same without team rocket's charm.

Anyone saying the animation quality and art is terrible clearly dont know that the new technology they're using for sun&moon anime is actually the same with space dandy,opm, and stuff and its going to make the animation will be more fluid than stiffy pokemon animation that we've seen before, and the art style clearly fit with the sun&moon theme, crisp, colorful, tropical, and fun!

And the school settong wont be permanent, in the game, before we arrived to the first town, we have to enroll in a pokemon school first, unlike the previous game, the pokemon school actually serve a purpose this time.

And the anime will run for 3+ years, so there's a HUGE chance that they could went with more serious tone later on.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, the animation looks great but I'm no fan of the art nor do I even like the premise. Still, I'll reserve judgement till I see the first few episodes.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but will Ash and Pikachu learn Catastropika?
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
1) You can't sit on chairs or benches. My rating: 7.8. Wink

Oh my gosh this annoyed me too. They can let NPCs sit anywhere their asses please but not the player character!? Confused
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how a Z-Move would work with Meowth, since he has no official caretaker, but I'm excited to see some serious potential being made out of them. Smile
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Team Rocket's comedy stopped being funny a long time ago with basically recycling the same jokes over and over. Them trying to catch Pikachu or whatever rare Pokemon that's nearby to steal can only go so far until it just gets boring. Sure their stupidity was funny for awhile, but it just feels like repeating their mistakes for this long they should look for something else to do.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Sun and Moon is gonna be a shitshow. Satoshi's new design is UGLY AS SIN, and even though he's gonna be going to school, he still won't be able to learn how to be less of a shitty trainer! He doesn't know about type matchups (still gets confused when his Pikachu can't put a dent in Ground types), gets curbstomped by a new trainer's STARTER in multiple regions, and loses the Kalos League to a sidestory character, EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A TYPE ADVANTAGE. Now he'll NEVER win the Pokémon League.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2