• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saiyuki Reload Burial OVA 2's Promo Video Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
Well, with the failure of Geneon, I wonder if ADV will be able to get their hands on this one.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope, what with how much of a colossal failure the Reload and Reload Gunlock DVDs were, sales-wise.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can only hope, what with how much of a colossal failure the Reload and Reload Gunlock DVDs were, sales-wise.

I always thought that Saiyuki was one of the more known shounen series, especially among girls. I also remember seeing a lot of shrines, fanlistings and forums dedicated to the series in English which is a testament to its popularity.

I wonder if the change in dub had something to do with customers' decline to invest in the dvds.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no.

ADV was furious over losing Saiyuki. Just listen to the commentary on the Requiem movie.
Geneon stole it from them.
I didn't mind the dub change. The Geneon dub matched the Japanese VA's far better.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, no.

ADV was furious over losing Saiyuki. Just listen to the commentary on the Requiem movie.
Geneon stole it from them.

I won't call it stealing since Dentsu was the one that made the anime, so it to be expected that they wouldl prefer handing the series to one of their branches instead.

Quote:
I didn't mind the dub change. The Geneon dub matched the Japanese VA's far better.

I totally agree. What I didn't like about the ADV dub was that they took too many liberties to make the dub funnier, even to the extent to make Sanzo of all people sound a bit OOC compared to his unfriendly and sullen JP counterpart.

I've seen many people bashing the dub and venting their anger on the poor actors who did nothing but doing the job that the company assigned them to do. I think they did a good job in portraying the characters and I respected that the dub was actually more accurate to the original JP script.
elsie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:59 am Reply with quote
I quit buying Reload and Gunlock, not because of the dub, but because of the poor animation. By Gunlock, the animation, which had never been that dynamic, became even more static, with very little sense that the characters were interacting with the background, even when they did move. As a Saiyuki fan girl, if the OVA is well-animated, I'd get it. If it's the same animation they've been doing, no. As for the manga, I really want Gaiden to be released here.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
elsie wrote:
I quit buying Reload and Gunlock, not because of the dub, but because of the poor animation. By Gunlock, the animation, which had never been that dynamic, became even more static, with very little sense that the characters were interacting with the background, even when they did move. As a Saiyuki fan girl, if the OVA is well-animated, I'd get it.

I know what you mean, but Japan's animation industry's been hit with that whole cost-cutting thing. I noticed the last Kyo Kara Maoh had some sloppy eps on the last dvd we got. My teen noticed it in YuGiOh-one ep looked great, the next sloppy, then great, sloppy...Saiyuki did that. There were some well-done segments, but I think it all has been falling to save-a-yen.
OVA's tend to have more money.

But the first title was the studio's first computer animation attempt & they really didn't know what they were doing (as they said in a Newtype interview)

I stuck it out since I love the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1