• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's your name. Film Earns 16.41 Billion Yen to Surpass Ponyo, Avatar

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Kinda sad to see gantz at 10 on the second weekend. Saw the movie and I really enjoyed it.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
Another week. Another Shinkai article. 9 for 9.

More importantly...GANTZ at #10? What is wrong with you people? Watch it. I can only pray for an increase next week.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
We got some pretty dedicated Japanese fans over there. The Blu ray disc would probably reach millions on unit sold once it got a release date.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
As a long-time Shinkai fanboy, I'm really conflicted as to whether or not I should wait for the official theatrical release in my country, or just watch it online...

Ah hell, why not both?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
robertbaldie wrote:
As a long-time Shinkai fanboy, I'm really conflicted as to whether or not I should wait for the official theatrical release in my country, or just watch it online...

Theatrical anime is fairly well catered for where I am, though I am hesitant to attend a screening. It is my wont to avoid expressions of emotion in public places, you see, so to head to a cinema would be to take a risk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is amazing. I can't wait to see it.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
robertbaldie wrote:

Ah hell, why not both?

If you are a hard Shinkai fan don't go into this movie expecting a lot.

The power of Your Name is how widely it appeals, not that it's his best work (although probably his best executed work) IMO. FWIW I think this movie is better than Ponyo by a long shot and probably just edges Avatar... So this box office record is good.

Enjoy the emotions of being torn of waiting it to come out in theaters. That feeling is irreplaceable lol.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
IMO Your Name is Shinkai's best project has yet to date and the reviews and sales just says it all. Miyazaki must be feeling a little wobly now but Shinkai deserved all that credit. One thing I noticed about this is the story is somewhat balanced, not gender biased it doesnt target 1 kind of consumer, its good for everyone.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Miyazaki must be feeling a little wobly now but Shinkai deserved all that credit.

Lol, I highly doubt he cares that much.
Kaitonic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I think this will beat Frozen actually which is 2nd top movie in Japan with about 25 billion.
But anyway Kimi no Na Wa is still going strong with almost 1 billion earn this week.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This movie sounds like it's really Shinkai's best but that doesn't say a whole lot. The hype is probably around Frozen's level (when I ran to get the blu ray when it came out just to find out I hate it.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
If goes above $289.1million, then it will have conquered the "Spirited Away" box-office record. However, that is a real challenge.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
robertbaldie wrote:

Ah hell, why not both?

If you are a hard Shinkai fan don't go into this movie expecting a lot.

The power of Your Name is how widely it appeals, not that it's his best work (although probably his best executed work) IMO. FWIW I think this movie is better than Ponyo by a long shot and probably just edges Avatar... So this box office record is good.

Enjoy the emotions of being torn of waiting it to come out in theaters. That feeling is irreplaceable lol.

I never go into any film with pre-determined expectations, so that shouldn't be an issue.
I am a huge fan, but I can still be critical. Children Who Chase Lost Voices, for example, was pretty damn ordinary in my opinion.

There's not even a date yet for when it will be released here (Australia), so it's looking more and more likely that I'll just bite the bullet and stream it online.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
Well,let's just hope that "your name" will get licensed and released in this country and elsewhere. I also hope this gets an English dub. From what I've been hearing about this one,I think it deserve the best it can possibly get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1