• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Cast for Joker Game Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
That would have been nice if Troy Baker (though he is popular for video game roles) to play Yuki since the Japanese Yuki was Pein.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised this is getting a dubbed, considering how lukewarm the reception among western fans was.Maybe this will give it a second chance at success.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
I don't remember who most of these characters are or what they did, so I guess it's time to learn again.

And it seems they let Joel McDonald out of One Piece jail
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
I'll check out the dub since this is one of my favorite series from 2016.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Its about damn time Funimation gave Joel a new dub to direct and the cast looks somewhat promising hard to go wrong with Bill Jenkins. He's always been way to underused by ADR Directors and its nice to see Ken Marmon cast in a larger supporting role. I liked his brief work from One Piece he shows promise.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Its about damn time Funimation gave Joel a new dub to direct and the cast looks somewhat promising hard to go wrong with Bill Jenkins. He's always been way to underused by ADR Directors and its nice to see Ken Marmon cast in a larger supporting role. I liked his brief work from One Piece he shows promise.

ADR directors are irrelevant. Studio is more important. Bang Zoom and Studiopolis are generally the best irrespective of directors used and Funimation dubs are generally average at worst and fantastic at best. Sentai dubs are generally mediocre at best and atrocious at worst.

That's the gist of it. The link between directors and dub quality is tenuous. The link between dub quality and studio is not.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

ADR directors are irrelevant. Studio is more important. Bang Zoom and Studiopolis are generally the best irrespective of directors used and Funimation dubs are generally average at worst and fantastic at best. Sentai dubs are generally mediocre at best and atrocious at worst.

That's the gist of it. The link between directors and dub quality is tenuous. The link between dub quality and studio is not.

It's almost as if Funimation's varying quality had to do with varying directors... hmmm...
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

I disagree. ADR directors are important because they get the best possible performance out of their actors, writers, and engineers. They hold it together. That's like saying that movie directors aren't important.

There some directors with near spotless track records (Mike McFarland is one that springs to mind. You can pretty much guarantee any show he works on will have a fantastic dub), some are pretty hit or miss, and some just can't direct well at all.

A dubs success depends on everyone involved, no matter the studio. Without a good director the entire show suffers.
huzaifa_ahmed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

I disagree. ADR directors are important because they get the best possible performance out of their actors, writers, and engineers. They hold it together. That's like saying that movie directors aren't important.

There some directors with near spotless track records (Mike McFarland is one that springs to mind. You can pretty much guarantee any show he works on will have a fantastic dub), some are pretty hit or miss, and some just can't direct well at all.

A dubs success depends on everyone involved, no matter the studio. Without a good director the entire show suffers.

It more or less goes like this: Producer/sponsor (TV network in most cases, licensor for most anime dubs)->money->hopefully budget->recording studio>directors>actors.

If everything goes well, you have a perfect storm. Preferably there's always competition. Having a great actor come in "as a favor to director" tends to be the opposite of "actor really wants this job & is wiling to do everything to get it"

But with anime, you have the first issue being that, well, there isn't much money in anime. & then the second, more recent issue being the foreign licensing. The Japanese producers, despite rarely stepping in the trenches, are pushing for more profits & thus there's even *less* budget for dubs.

Kristi Reed's direction on Durarara season 1 was really good, despite being mostly low-budget VA's. Problem is, she got so good she stopped working with anime licensors & moved *way* up, to Cartoon Network.

* Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is similar. Through Sam Riegel (who also started in anime), she was introduced to Sam Levine, behind Penn Zero, Part-Time Hero, & now does mostly Disney direction.

On the other hand, you look at some dubs like Square Enix's FF spinoffs, directed by Bob Buchholz & recently Kirk Thornton. Square Enix has all the money for established VA's who you dont typically see in dubs, & the actors show their prowess at times, but the direction often...isnt that good, because the directors may be hired simply due to connections from other dubs (which are very low-budget & most folks dont do them).

Birth by Sleep's dub is at times, not great. It's honestly kind of a waste to get Christopher Lee in a booth, yet have someone who only got lucky, to direct the dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1