• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Games' Trailer Confirms Starters' Final Evolutions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
Incineroar is truthfully the worst final starter evolution yet (by design). I don't understand what they see in making these strange humanoid abominations.

Because apparently they're only supposed to make Pokemon look exclusively like animals even when most of them aren't.

I never said that. My statement has absolutely nothing to do with the people who complain about non-animals being Pokemon. It has to do with cheesy, awkward designs like Incineroar.

In a way, all three starter evolutions are humanoid, but I didn't complain about the other two, because they work better.

As if many of the starters had better designs. I daresay his design is far better than the like of Meganium, Typhlosion, Torterra, Emboar, Samurott, and Chesnaught. He's especially better looking than Primarina (a "cute" looking mermaid for a Water starter, really? Even it's Z move is useless). I honestly don't see anything corny about Incineroar's design, it's definitely not the best but it's got a sense of GAR (like Feraligatr) and that to me makes it better looking than the starters I mentioned before.
Blue21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I full well understand your gripe what you don't seem to understand is that most of fanbase got sick of Fire/Fighting types by the time Gen 5 rolled around with Emboar.
Most people don't really cares about the typing so long as it's not the played out Fire/Fighting typing that we already saw with Blaziken, Inferape, & Emboar.

I mean I take issues with Pokemon like Gyarados and Charizard not having the Dragon Typing by default but I don't make a big deal out of it or anything.

My issue with Incineroar isn't how appropriate its typing is, it's that at the end of the day, Incineroar is a humanoid wrestler that follows through on the theme established by Blaziken through Emboar, despite an ostensible type change that should break that theme. It doesn't matter what it's typing is if at the end of the day it's still functionally Fire/Fighting.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Every Pokemon generation has has them though.

Okay? Doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Quote:
Eh the seal turning into a mermaid is definitely your mileage may vary as to it "working better"

I will admit it is my opinion. My opinion that the seal turning into a mermaid is a much better idea than a cheesy 80s humanoid animal action cartoon character.

Kon'Doriano wrote:
As if many of the starters had better designs. I daresay his design is far better than the like of Meganium, Typhlosion, Torterra, Emboar, Samurott, and Chesnaught. He's especially better looking than Primarina (a "cute" looking mermaid for a Water starter, really? Even it's Z move is useless). I honestly don't see anything corny about Incineroar's design, it's definitely not the best but it's got a sense of GAR (like Feraligatr) and that to me makes it better looking than the starters I mentioned before.

The only ones you would get away with arguing had similar or worse designs are Emboar and Chesnaught. I don't see anything wrong with Meganium, Typhlosion or Torterra who are all very logical steps from BOTH of their pre-evolutions. And Samurott, despite being quite different from its two pre-evolutions (which is actually good, because I thought that the middle evolution was very cheesy) is my favorite final evolved starter of all time.

I have no idea what 'GAR' means, but if means something like 'awesome', than Incineroar could never fit that category, unless we were back in the 80s... But we're not. Lets leave the 80s back where it belongs, please.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Every Pokemon generation has has them though.

Okay? Doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Quote:
Eh the seal turning into a mermaid is definitely your mileage may vary as to it "working better"

I will admit it is my opinion. My opinion that the seal turning into a mermaid is a much better idea than a cheesy 80s humanoid animal action cartoon character.

Kon'Doriano wrote:

The only ones you would get away with arguing had similar or worse designs are Emboar and Chesnaught. I don't see anything wrong with Meganium, Typhlosion or Torterra who are all very logical steps from BOTH of their pre-evolutions. And Samurott, despite being quite different from its two pre-evolutions (which is actually good, because I thought that the middle evolution was very cheesy) is my favorite final evolved starter of all time.

I have no idea what 'GAR' means, but if means something like 'awesome', than Incineroar could never fit that category, unless we were back in the 80s... But we're not. Lets leave the 80s back where it belongs, please.

I really don't understand your last point, nor did I get your claim on your first paragraph. If the designers want something reminiscent of the 80s then they can do that as long as it works. To me, Incineroar looks fine and what I said "GAR" I don't mean "awesome" per se (you're very close though since the word is a pretty broad term) but it specifically means "manliness," "masculinity," and "ferocity"and Incineroar has a few of those elements.
Quote:
Incineroar could never fit that category, unless we were back in the 80s... But we're not. Lets leave the 80s back where it belongs, please.
To me, that quote in particular is a load of nonsense. They are free to bring in elements from the 80s and they have the artistic freedom to do so, regardless of the era we live in.

Now when you said Meganium, Typlosion, and Torterra are good because they are logical choices from their designs, what did you mean exactly? I get that the designs are consistent through all their stages but that's not good enough because the same can be said for almost every single starter. When I mentioned the starters I mentioned I'm talking about ALL of their evolution stages as well, not just their final forms. All I could interpret from your paragraph is that those 3 are good because they never went from quadrupedal to bipedal creatures like Incineroar did but considering how you like Samurott I doubt that was your point because you acknowledged that being different can be good. So again, what did you mean?
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
To me, Incineroar looks fine and what I said "GAR" I don't mean "awesome" per se (you're very close though since the word is a pretty broad term) but it specifically means "manliness," "masculinity," and "ferocity"and Incineroar has a few of those elements.

Oh. *gags* Perhaps that's part of the reason I hate Incineroar so much.

Quote:
To me, that quote in particular is a load of nonsense. They are free to bring in elements from the 80s and they have the artistic freedom to do so, regardless of the era we live in.

Fine... Let me put it this way. Incineroar is just flat out cheesy to me. When I watch an 80s cartoon I can have fun and laugh at how cheesy it is... Because that was just how things were from that time. I can not do that with Incineroar. Incineroar is just cheesy, and not in a way that I can laugh at. It's just an atrocious design with nothing of value, IMO.

Calling back to 80s cheesiness has to be done in a particular way to be successful. Incineroar missed the mark.

Quote:
Now when you said Meganium, Typlosion, and Torterra are good because they are logical choices from their designs, what did you mean exactly? I get that the designs are consistent through all their stages but that's not good enough because the same can be said for almost every single starter. When I mentioned the starters I mentioned I'm talking about ALL of their evolution stages as well, not just their final forms. All I could interpret from your paragraph is that those 3 are good because they never went from quadrupedal to bipedal creatures like Incineroar did but considering how you like Samurott I doubt that was your point because you acknowledged that being different can be good. So again, what did you mean?

Hm? My point is that following logically from the design of the first evolution is *typically* the best way to go.

I used Samurott is an exception, because exceptions can exist, and they do in fact exist. I don't know where they were going to go with Dewott, but wherever it was could have been an atrocity on the level of Incineroar based on how bad Dewott was. So I'm very glad they went a completely different direction with its final evolution.

It does not come down to quadrupeds being better, and bipeds being lesser. That's not where I make the distinction. Plenty of bipedal starters and Pokemon work... Just not Incineroar, Emboar, Chesnaught and Dewott.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
To me, Incineroar looks fine and what I said "GAR" I don't mean "awesome" per se (you're very close though since the word is a pretty broad term) but it specifically means "manliness," "masculinity," and "ferocity"and Incineroar has a few of those elements.

Quote:

Fine... Let me put it this way. Incineroar is just flat out cheesy to me. When I watch an 80s cartoon I can have fun and laugh at how cheesy it is... Because that was just how things were from that time. I can not do that with Incineroar. Incineroar is just cheesy, and not in a way that I can laugh at. It's just an atrocious design with nothing of value, IMO.

Calling back to 80s cheesiness has to be done in a particular way to be successful. Incineroar missed the mark.

Quote:

Hm? My point is that following logically from the design of the first evolution is *typically* the best way to go.

I used Samurott is an exception, because exceptions can exist, and they do in fact exist. I don't know where they were going to go with Dewott, but wherever it was could have been an atrocity on the level of Incineroar based on how bad Dewott was. So I'm very glad they went a completely different direction with its final evolution.

It does not come down to quadrupeds being better, and bipeds being lesser. That's not where I make the distinction. Plenty of bipedal starters and Pokemon work... Just not Incineroar, Emboar, Chesnaught and Dewott.

Now THAT I can respect. Thanks for clarifying.
ChrisA15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Never have I been so disappointed about the final evolution forms of the starters. I find them so underwhelming.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
My issue with Incineroar isn't how appropriate its typing is, it's that at the end of the day, Incineroar is a humanoid wrestler that follows through on the theme established by Blaziken through Emboar, despite an ostensible type change that should break that theme. It doesn't matter what it's typing is if at the end of the day it's still functionally Fire/Fighting.

Functionally to you but to everyone else it's still Fire-Dark regardless of it's wrestling inspired gimmick and the fact it's going to have fighting type moves in it's movepool.

Revolutionary wrote:

Wasn't arguing whose design was better though. Just pointing out how more divisive Primarina's design might be I have no issues with it myself.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty upset when I saw the leaked sprite of Incineroar but seeing it in action here it looks a helluva lot better (The suggestion that it has a tsundere personality made my friggin' day).
Still #teamlitten, though I'm loving the other final forms as well. Decidueye and Primarina are awesome and adorable, respectively.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

So to you it's Inferioar then.
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Functionally to you but to everyone else it's still Fire-Dark regardless of it's wrestling inspired gimmick and the fact it's going to have fighting type moves in it's movepool.

Which goes to show people will eat anything up so long as it's not Fire/Fighting.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I think for the first time in Pokemon history I don't want any of the starters. Ugh. That cat one especially, it looks like some kind of bad fake pokemon bootleg. I guess the water one is the least awful but still. Damn. Makes you really appreciate having 3 awesome choices in red/blue and gold/silver etc lol
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
What's the point of celebrating that it's not Fire/Fighting when it's still very obviously meant to be a fighter? It seems like GF only came up with the typing so they could say 'hey, it's not another Fire/Fighting, so you can't complain!' Well, they won't fool me.

Well, every Pokémon is a fighter to some extent. Incineroar is following the pattern of all fully-evolved Fire-types being bipedal.

Kon'Doriano wrote:

That's not Primarina's Z-Move, just its signature move.

Revolutionary wrote:

That's what makes Incineroar great!

Relairknight wrote:
Wow. I think for the first time in Pokemon history I don't want any of the starters. Ugh. That cat one especially, it looks like some kind of bad fake pokemon bootleg. I guess the water one is the least awful but still. Damn. Makes you really appreciate having 3 awesome choices in red/blue and gold/silver etc lol

I personally like them all, but Pokémon design always seems to be quite in tune with me. (I would concur that I find Incineroar's design a bit more generic than the other two though.) I'll be picking Popplio, as I had decided that from the start, but Decidueye is something I'm going to remember really clearly.

Also, it sounds like both of your generation examples are from the first two generations. Was that intentional?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3