• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo CEO: Switch Expected to Move 2 Million Units in 1st Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yen50414 wrote:
0nsen wrote:
It simultaneously seems like the number is too low/high. Maybe this is Nintendos way of saying "Please buy it this time, pretty please". But I won't. They're release cycles are too short for my tastes. It's obvious they don't go after high end graphics, so why update the console at all? I'd still buy Game Cube games. Or Snes. But I'll be damned to buy another console and then only get about six years of support before it's basically obsolete. They should go back to what they did with the original Game Boy. Introduced 1989 and succeeded in 1998 if you count the Game Boy Color, which I don't, since it was crap. And succeeded in 2001 by the GBA. 12 years.

Upgrading the console without updating the graphics to par feels just like they cheat me. I get all the drawbacks of having to buy a new system without any of the benefits of shiny new graphics. (Instead Nintendo delivers stupid gimmicks which nobody can figure out how to make use of.)

Maybe if you actually buy the console before they announce the next one you'd have more than 6 months of support. You said you'd still buy GameCube games, yet the GameCube had the shortest lifespan (5 years) until the Wii U (4.5 years). You want them to update the graphics, but then say you'd rather they not update a system for 10+ years like back in the NES and Gameboy days. Make up your mind.

Here's a surprise, they DO update the graphics every generation. The GameCube to Wii was the smallest jump but even then it was a noticeable difference. I'd argue that a new console that does nothing more than update its graphics to be the cheap way out. Anyone can figure out how to put shiny new piece of hardware together, it's how you upgrade PCs. It takes actual creativity to try and invent new ways to play games and I appreciate that from Nintendo.

Agreed!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Introduced 1989 and succeeded in 1998 if you count the Game Boy Color, which I don't, since it was crap.

How !? I mean the system's only real drawback was that of course it wasn't backlit like the GBA SP would ultimately be but getting to play games in color was a novel feature.

Loveless100 wrote:

Edit: The one thing I'm surprised at (or not) is the lack of backwards compatibility of neither the WiiU nor the 3DS. But I suppose they want to launch this into another generation of Nintendo consoles.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point but why would the Switch be BC with the 3DS when this was never something Nintendo was shooting for?

Yen50414 wrote:
It takes actual creativity to try and invent new ways to play games and I appreciate that from Nintendo.

Rather then come up with new ways to play games and given the shakiness of their last few controller designs I'd rather Nintendo just stick to the basics and have a proprietary controller that's not either weirdly designed (N64/Gamecube) or gimmicky
(Wii/WiiU Gamepad).

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yen50414 wrote:

Here's a surprise, they DO update the graphics every generation. The GameCube to Wii was the smallest jump but even then it was a noticeable difference. I'd argue that a new console that does nothing more than update its graphics to be the cheap way out. Anyone can figure out how to put shiny new piece of hardware together, it's how you upgrade PCs. It takes actual creativity to try and invent new ways to play games and I appreciate that from Nintendo.

And what's funny is that the consoles that do nothing but upgrade graphics are horrendously boring. Seriously, the jump from the PS3/360 to the PS4/XB1 is the least dramatic and dullest in history. There has yet to be a big "the one title" that truly sells this generation. For the SNES era it was stuff like Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda. PS1/N64, FFVII, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time. PS2/XBox/GC, MGS2, GTAIII, FFX, DMC, Halo, Smash Bros Melee, it was bloody smorgasbord. For last gen it was stuff like Mario Kart Wii, SSBB, Call of Duty IV, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.

We are now four years into the current gen and there still isn't a defining game that justifies the current gen. At least not for the PS4/XB1. Nintendo at least had stuff like Smash Bros, Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Super Mario Maker, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokken Tournament, Mario Kart, and Hyrule Warriors. And on the handheld side there's stuff like Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter, SMTIV, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Yo-Kai Watch, the new Pokemon, etc. Meanwhile Sony, MS, and 3rd parties are really caught in creative stagnation and just can't figure out how to make the current gen seem like anything but the same as last time but shinier, with less content and more shallow. Maybe if developers and the console makers started to go beyond just power upgrades gaming could finally get out of its awkward puberty and start being creative again.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
They better start hyping it up and showing some games. Where is their marketing?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
They better start hyping it up and showing some games. Where is their marketing?

About that, they're doing a presentation on January 12.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Loveless100 wrote:

Edit: The one thing I'm surprised at (or not) is the lack of backwards compatibility of neither the WiiU nor the 3DS. But I suppose they want to launch this into another generation of Nintendo consoles.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point but why would the Switch be BC with the 3DS when this was never something Nintendo was shooting for?

How would that even work? The 3DS is designed to work with dual screens,with one of those screens being touch. The Switch isn't. Backwards Compatibility with it would be impossible.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
2 million sounds like a good number to start with and if the Switch really takes off they can always make more. Smile
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Yen50414 wrote:

And what's funny is that the consoles that do nothing but upgrade graphics are horrendously boring. Seriously, the jump from the PS3/360 to the PS4/XB1 is the least dramatic and dullest in history. There has yet to be a big "the one title" that truly sells this generation. For the SNES era it was stuff like Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda. PS1/N64, FFVII, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time. PS2/XBox/GC, MGS2, GTAIII, FFX, DMC, Halo, Smash Bros Melee, it was bloody smorgasbord. For last gen it was stuff like Mario Kart Wii, SSBB, Call of Duty IV, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.

We are now four years into the current gen and there still isn't a defining game that justifies the current gen. At least not for the PS4/XB1. Nintendo at least had stuff like Smash Bros, Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Super Mario Maker, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokken Tournament, Mario Kart, and Hyrule Warriors. And on the handheld side there's stuff like Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter, SMTIV, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Yo-Kai Watch, the new Pokemon, etc. Meanwhile Sony, MS, and 3rd parties are really caught in creative stagnation and just can't figure out how to make the current gen seem like anything but the same as last time but shinier, with less content and more shallow. Maybe if developers and the console makers started to go beyond just power upgrades gaming could finally get out of its awkward puberty and start being creative again.

Lmao this is such a fanboyish post.

You can't list anything on the Wii U that was 'defining for this generation' and conveniently forget the likes of Uncharted 4, Metal Gear 5, Dark Souls 3, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Halo 5, Overwatch, Gears of War 4 and the goddamn Witcher 3. Not to mention the Playstation VR and all the potential that brings. Lol the Wii U hasn't been innovative for shit. Yeah, there's some good games. But you can't say they're innovative just because they're good. If that's the case, then you have to include PS4 and XBone titles as well.

The real answer is - no one was innovative this year. Graphics leap was minuscule at best and the Wii U was a dud. That doesn't mean there weren't good games to be had - but let's not be a Nintendo fanboy and claim that the Wii U, of all systems, was the only one to have any "defining games" this generation. What an incredibly foolish thing to say.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

I find it interesting you single microsoft, sony, other groups out for a lack of creativity but then cite a bunch of games released across the Wii U and 3DS that weren't all that creative if all. This isn't even getting into the fact that all that supposed creativity didn't exactly help the WiiU's sales numbers.
0nsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Yen50414 wrote:
You want them to update the graphics, but then say you'd rather they not update a system for 10+ years like back in the NES and Gameboy days. Make up your mind.

I want them to either bring the graphics up to date or refrain from updating the system. Either is fine with me. Since I don't really care for graphics, I wouldn't be too excited about a powerful Nintendo console, though. If they just went back to sprite based games, that would be really swell.

But just pushing out hardware with games that look barely different from the last generation... well. That's something I won't continue to support. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference in games since the NGC/PS2 era. I mean aside from shinier graphics. Yet Nintendo refuses to even do this bare minimum of updating the graphics. And like I said, I don't care for shiny graphics, but why buy a new system if they don't even do this? For the hand full of games I like that I can just emulate 20 years later?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
0nsen wrote:
Introduced 1989 and succeeded in 1998 if you count the Game Boy Color, which I don't, since it was crap.

How !? I mean the system's only real drawback was that of course it wasn't backlit like the GBA SP would ultimately be but getting to play games in color was a novel feature.

Only if you didn't know about the GameGear, which was released in 1990, eight years before the GBC. And the GameGear still had better graphics than the GBC.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
Snip

Rules First and Second for being taken seriously: do not start a post with "lol" and never use the word "fanboy." Those are automatic fails in persuasive writing.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

...bunch of games released across the Wii U and 3DS that weren't all that creative if all..

Going "nuh-uh!" is not an argument. Furthermore, this is what I mean about "defining a generation": justifying the upgrade. All the first party titles on the WiiU like The Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X, Splatoon, and Hyrule Warriors, from a gameplay perspective, could not have been done on the previous hardware. They showed off some new gameplay innovation or did something beyond graphics that made it clear this upgrade was necessary.

The PS4 and XB1 don't have that. Four years in and they still don't have something like a DMC, a GTAIII, an MGS2, or an FFVII. They legitimately are just incremental upgrades as even from a technical perspective they lack that as there's nothing besides shinier textures they've used the hardware for. And it's possible this isn't the hardware's fault as there is a lot of POTENTIAL in the PS4/XB1, but there hasn't been anything that's taken true advantage of them. You can give someone the best tools in the world but it means nothing if they don't use them properly. You'd think after developers made such noise about getting a new generation they'd do everything to justify its existence, but instead of really just goofed around and done "second verse, same as the first."
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty impressive number. Good luck. I will admit it's an interesting system.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Only if you didn't know about the GameGear, which was released in 1990, eight years before the GBC. And the GameGear still had better graphics than the GBC.

I had both and the Gamegear and the Gameboy Color and the Gamegear in all honesty? it was trash it's easily among one of the worse things Sega ever made. It was basically a pocket sized master system with horrid battery life whereas the Nomad to it's credit at least let you play Genesis games on the go with probably equally horrid battery life.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Going "nuh-uh!" is not an argument.

Throwing up a bunch of games that are sequels, ports, or spin-offs of other games as of way of attempting to illustrate what Nintendo did and didn't do in comparison to other publishers and taking exception to someone questioning you over what is clearly a conveniently bias and selective post, isn't much of counter argument either.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Furthermore, this is what I mean about "defining a generation":

Nintendo didn't do this though not with the WiiU at any rate. As it occupies the same space as the PS3 and Xbox 360 two consoles from 2006 and 2005 respectively. And by all accounts failed, in spite of it's allegedly generation defining and creatively designed software.

AiddonValentine wrote:
All the first party titles on the WiiU like The Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X,

One of these is a third party exclusive title which no one will remember because of how incredibly niche it was just like many other games made by the Developer who made it.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Splatoon, and Hyrule Warriors, from a gameplay perspective,

Splatoon was basically COD but with actual kids in mind as it's target demo, Hyrule Warriors was Dynasty Warriors with a Legend Of Zelda skin. If you thought those titles were creative or somehow defined a generation fine it's just not actually true though.

AiddonValentine wrote:
could not have been done on the previous hardware.''

Hyrule Warriors,Splatoon,Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, and many of the other games you threw up could've easily been done on the Wii. These games were not on the cutting edge of graphics much less gameplay. So the idea they couldn't be done on older tech is nonsense.

AiddonValentine wrote:
They showed off some new gameplay innovation or did something beyond graphics that made it clear this upgrade was necessary.

And yet why did the WiiU sell so few units forcing Nintendo to bust out the Switch a few years early? And don't think of coming up with the whole "The WiiU was at the end of it's life cycle" excuse.

AiddonValentine wrote:
The PS4 and XB1 don't have that.

The PS4 and XB1 aren't in an awkward position where they have to sell more than the systems they're succeeding you know like Switch is?

AiddonValentine wrote:
Four years in and they still don't have something like a DMC,

Which they probably would already have if fans had not scared Capcom off from continuing DmC.

AiddonValentine wrote:
a GTAIII,

Dude GTA III is no longer the Standard of what GTA games are. You also seem to ignore for some bizarre reason the existence of GTAV along with the recent announcement of Red Dead Redemption 2. And of course the Witcher 3 And Batman Arkham Knight which have been available since last year.

AiddonValentine wrote:
an MGS2,

Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are Metal Gear Solid games the last time I checked. And just as divisive as that game.

AiddonValentine wrote:
or an FFVII.

I don't know what's more puzzling the fact that VII was a PSOne game but yet you listed it in a discussion of games that debuted on the PS2 or the fact that it's being remade for current gen systems.....like have you been following anything in the gaming spectrum the last 4 years that has nothing to do with Nintendo? Cause it sure doesn't look like you have.

AiddonValentine wrote:
They legitimately are just incremental upgrades as even from a technical perspective

Not to sandbag you again but this applies to Nintendo far much worse than Sony or Microsoft there wasn't much of leap graphically between the Gamecube and The WiiU part of the reason for this is that Nintendo doesn't concern themselves with making systems that are on the cutting edge of graphics like they did when they made the SNES and The Nintendo 64......and then their fans wonder why most third party publishers in the west won't make games on their systems.

AiddonValentine wrote:
they lack that as there's nothing besides shinier textures they've used the hardware for. And it's possible this isn't the hardware's fault as there is a lot of POTENTIAL in the PS4/XB1,

Much like there was a lot of potential in every bit of hardware Nintendo has put out since 2001? But as Nintendo is too cheap and stubborn.....

AiddonValentine wrote:
but there hasn't been anything that's taken true advantage of them. You can give someone the best tools in the world but it means nothing if they don't use them properly.

So we agree Nintendo hasn't used any of the tools they had at their disposal in like the last 15 years to make their hardware much better than it really was?

AiddonValentine wrote:
You'd think after developers made such noise about getting a new generation they'd do everything to justify its existence, but instead of really just goofed around and done "second verse, same as the first."

.....Wii leads into Wii U, pot calls kettle black.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
0nsen wrote:

I had both and the Gamegear and the Gameboy Color and the Gamegear in all honesty? it was trash it's easily among one of the worse things Sega ever made. It was basically a pocket sized master system with horrid battery life whereas the Nomad to it's credit at least let you play Genesis games on the go with probably equally horrid battery life.

The ironic thing about the Game Gear is that had it not been for its voracious battery consumption and severely-limited game library, it probably would've have outperformed the Game Boy Color in terms of power.
0nsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I had both and the Gamegear and the Gameboy Color and the Gamegear in all honesty? it was trash

Of course, but you can hardly argue that the color in the GBC was a novel feature if the GameGear already did it eight years earlier. Even the Atari Lynx had color (and graphics comparable to a GBA). And that abomination was released in the same year as the original GameBoy.

It's just that all that doesn't matter on mobile, which is why Smartphones take over the market. GameBoy didn't win, because it was the best. GameBoy won because it was the worst. Just like smartphones.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
shipped not sold ?

maybe this time they do not want to set the bar too high
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3