• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Drifters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Overall the epipsode was fine and everything, there was not particularly much of note to remark except one thinig.

Joan of Arc's fire was so...DULL. That fire had lack of inspiration as fuel; given how cool fire looked when Nobunaga set fire to the crops, and inn Toyohisa's time, this was like watching a 2000s anime that badly used digital effects and end up looking dumber than what they expected it to be.

But, I guess thaat when it came to CGI army, Drifters is winning a sweet spot on me, very well planned and layered.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
So far the show looking good to me. I read bunch of volumes years ago. I'm shocked that the show is so dead-on so far from the Manga. We'll see how close it says, since they only got 12 episode listed so far. Opening theme and animation is amazingly good.

I'm glad makers managed to not make it as a slim-budget verse what we go. Kick ass really great anime we got!
Baskerville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving the OST too. Yasushi Ishii's piece during the wagon escape was righteous!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh,God...

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think the Black King might be Jesus. Shocked
SonOfaMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I really hope I'm wrong, but I think the Black King might be Jesus. Shocked

I could only really be Jesus, or else one of his apostles that were crucified, due to the scar on the Black King's hand. But since he has a line to the effect of "humanity rejected me", my bets are on the big guy himself.

As a professed Christ follower myself, so far I don't find this offensive really. If this story were set in our dimension, then you could even say he wouldn't be evil in his actions. It's a different world with a different humanity though, so he's definitely a bad apple. But hey, the show could (having not read the manga) be playing with timelines and could reset things to Jesus being good again... or more likely he's just on a rampage having escaped hell during an interim in his 3 day stay there. Anime hyper

Either way it's kindof metal.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I would guess there just not going to reveal that it's actually Jesus himself but they won't deny it either, you know plausible deniability and all.

Otherwise not much to say, other that I personally really like the show humor. And I also rather like where it's going on the mid term, honestly I'm more interested in having the drifter take over the human kingdom rather than fighting the end tbh. Plus at this point we don't really have any reason to hate the end's army, seems like the human are pretty bad and that make it kinda hard to hate the army of orc and goblin.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope there is a lot of action next week, this episode was way too silly for my liking.

This bad guy thinks he's Zeref from Fairy Tail, he wants to destroy the world because it rejects him.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:09 am Reply with quote
I personally find it an interesting concept. It's not just the Ends being "the bad guys," but that they are formed by historical figures who were "betrayed by humanity."
Thinking like that, it's nothing but obvious that the Black King HAD to be Jesus.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
Congrats on Drifters coming up with an interesting "villain." One of my biggest beefs with anime is the paucity of compelling bad guys. Their personalities are often grating and their motivations - if they are bothered to be revealed at all - are usually stupid. With the Black King, we have a "villain" who has the power to heal and actually uses it on his demi-human soldiers as opposed to treating them as disposable cannon fodder. Even something as simple as that sets him apart from the usual, "mwha-ha-ha-ha, I must destroy the world" brigade.

Episode 4 seems like a good candidate for the "Episode 4" syndrome that Jacob and Zac talked about during this week's ANNcast. They kind of shot their load in the first three, hoping people will be hooked and then came up with a more contained episode to make up for the extra time lavished on the first three.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
love this series. so far its been a very good anime adaption.
Baskerville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Plus at this point we don't really have any reason to hate the end's army, seems like the human are pretty bad and that make it kinda hard to hate the army of orc and goblin.

Except for the part where they slaughter the people of Carneades, of course. But yah it's relatively easier to hate the Orte Empire than the Ends at this point.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Well it was pretty obvious that the female weren't being served tea and told story around a campfire, I suppose they didn't have to make the character show up right in the middle of a session but rape was (and is) usually what happen to women on the losing side of a conflict, there's a reason it's called "rape and loot".

I guess my only real problem with this episode is how easy it was for them to walk back in the castle, do they always let anyone right in without checking there identity? They could have developed this part a bit more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
They appeared human enough (i.e., not the Black King's minions), and they don't seem to have any mobs of human enemies, so yeah, when human-looking people show up wearing the castle's armor when such people are expected to be showing up any minute now, the first assumption is they belong there.

Quote:
In particular, I'm really enjoying the way the show characterizes the Drifters is an interesting twist on the “Warriors Taken Out of Their Time Period” trope.

Hmm, there's either an entire clause missing here or "is" should be "as"? Although it still doesn't quite scan if it's the latter.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
We got plenty of violence and bloodshed in this episode, and probably more to come in the next.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Predicting bloodshed for a Drifters episode does not win you the Nostradamus award. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10