• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell VR Diver English Dub Cast Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
Guts is in a FUNimation? Sweeeet.

Also cool hearing Elizabeth Maxwell in more rolls. I really only know her as two characters. Bishamon and Winter.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:

Also cool hearing Elizabeth Maxwell in more rolls. I really only know her as two characters. Bishamon and Winter.

She was also Ymir in Attack on Titan and Albedo in Overlord.

As for Diraison - HOLY CRAP THATS AWESOME! I wonder if he can maybe be in Funimation's One Piece dub as the fake Zoro from the timeskip now (he was literally the only good actor from the 4Kids version).
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Considering the new Funiroll deal, it's quite possible Diarson's going to be recording for Berserk too, so this may be done in part to schedule him for a lot of stuff while available. Congrats to Elizabeth's return for Ghost in the Shell! I'm always overjoyed when she gets cast.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
I miss the cast from SAC, no offence to Maxwell she's not a bad VA but any stretch, but Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is Motoko.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I miss the cast from SAC, no offence to Maxwell she's not a bad VA but any stretch, but Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is Motoko.

True that. Especially since McGlynn could have EASILY reprised her role (she had a smaller one in Arise).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

True that. Especially since McGlynn could have EASILY reprised her role (she had a smaller one in Arise).
Yeah that is weird, I understand that they maybe couldn't get Richard Epcar, Crispan Freeman and the rest, but they had her in the cast, yet they cast her as someone else.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I still wonder about that casting choice. I suppose there might have been a few reasons, such as making it clear that AAA wasn't part of SAC, or they wanted McGlynn but she didn't have the availability to record the lead role, maybe they decided if they couldn't get more than one person, then it would be better to recast all the characters.

I share other people's interest in seeing Diraison's name among Funimation names, although I don't want to get my hopes up that maybe its a sign of a returning cast for Berserk.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I still wonder about that casting choice. I suppose there might have been a few reasons, such as making it clear that AAA wasn't part of SAC, or they wanted McGlynn but she didn't have the availability to record the lead role, maybe they decided if they couldn't get more than one person, then it would be better to recast all the characters.

I share other people's interest in seeing Diraison's name among Funimation names, although I don't want to get my hopes up that maybe its a sign of a returning cast for Berserk.

I feel like it's the former. Arise's Motoko is much more brash and hands on thatn SAC Motoko. It's a new continuity so my guess is Funi wanted to reflect that with the new cast. Casting McGlynn was most likely a bit of fanservice on their part. Her character is basically in almost every episode in a supporting role spoiler[And she's the antagonost in the new movie IIRC] so it makes sense to me with the recasting.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I feel like it's the former. Arise's Motoko is much more brash and hands on thatn SAC Motoko. It's a new continuity so my guess is Funi wanted to reflect that with the new cast. Casting McGlynn was most likely a bit of fanservice on their part. Her character is basically in almost every episode in a supporting role spoiler[And she's the antagonost in the new movie IIRC] so it makes sense to me with the recasting.

Well, Arise is suppose to be a prequel. So, it kind of made sense that there was a whole new cast. Also, I believe the Japanese dub did the same thing.

Plus, it's not like McGlynn is completely out of that role. In Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Richard Epcar reprised their roles as Motoko Kusanagi and Batou respectfully.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Considering the new Funiroll deal, it's quite possible Diarson's going to be recording for Berserk too, so this may be done in part to schedule him for a lot of stuff while available.

Greed1914 wrote:

There's a good possibility that the new Berserk is going to NYAV Post (like the previous adaptations) since both Michael Sinterniklaas & Stephanie Sheh have been hinting at it on Twitter recently liking every post that mentions the show and that studio (also this tweet from Mike which suggests that he wants it).

If FUNi's really in charge of dubbing Berserk then I hope they do send it there. They have worked with NYAV before for Slayers seasons 4 & 5 and still work with both of them for a few in-house dubs. It would also be nice if they made outtakes for the show like Media Blasters did for the 97 series and Viz did for the movies.
3rdHalf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
QUICK RANT:
Stop using "VR" when it comes to equirectangular(360° x 180°) video!
It is 360° video - not VR.

Saying, that 360° videos has anything to do with VR(Virtual Reality), just because you can view them with VR googles - is like saying that movies are like video games, because they can be watched on gaming monitor.

So kids, what did we learn?
Pre rendered media, like equirectangular photo/video is 360° photo/video.
Real time rendered enviourments with some kind of interactivity are VR.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
A weird way to keep Arise around but sure, why not. How rare is it btw. so see non-sexual / actual nudity in anime. Especially these days. I recently tried the Oculus and found it to be severely lacking and cheap.
The HTC Vive though is the read deal! Try it out if a VR presentation is held in your area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Cool, glad they are giving this an English release with English voices. Will pick it up when their mentioned PSVR version comes out.

Gemnist wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

She was also Ymir in Attack on Titan and Albedo in Overlord.

As for Diraison - HOLY CRAP THATS AWESOME! I wonder if he can maybe be in Funimation's One Piece dub as the fake Zoro from the timeskip now (he was literally the only good actor from the 4Kids version).

Yeah, She did a good job in a tough role to be a new voice for and she was good as Ymir and Bishamon, so I'm looking forward to hearing her in more shows.

Yeah, it would be great if they could get him in some Funi dubs (in-house, collabs, whatever).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1