• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA Reveals 2nd Promo Video, 4th Key Visual

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they'll be stuffing even more pointless characters into this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm so skeptical. It seems like the Ryo-Ohki continuity peeked at Kagato. Everything after that goes from great to good to okay, then season 3 happens and the quality drop goes from gradual to off a cliff.

Season 3 added a crapton more harem characters to detract from the ones we actually cared about. I think if the creators manage to get that and only introduce new antagonists or non-harem girls, it could be good. I feel like the franchise itself peeked at Tenchi Forever and Tenchi Universe. Ever since 2000, Tenchi Muyo feels like it should just be over.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
are we getting Seiryo's mom now?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Well, now we can be sure, cabbit Ryo-Ohki is still as cute as ever. At least the quality there is confirmed.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm so skeptical. It seems like the Ryo-Ohki continuity peeked at Kagato. Everything after that goes from great to good to okay, then season 3 happens and the quality drop goes from gradual to off a cliff.

Season 3 added a crapton more harem characters to detract from the ones we actually cared about. I think if the creators manage to get that and only introduce new antagonists or non-harem girls, it could be good. I feel like the franchise itself peeked at Tenchi Forever and Tenchi Universe. Ever since 2000, Tenchi Muyo feels like it should just be over.

I agree completely; it feels nice to see the same feelings articulated so well for this series. ^u^;

It's funny because the key visual looks awkward; like their bodies aren't properly aligned with their heads or something. I really enjoyed the PV though, and the hesitation I had from the OP has dropped from the PV (for now, lol). The animation was nice, and it is fun to see those background characters and elements that the series used to kind of develop more but frequently dropped (for no reason since it could have done way more). I'm pretty excited actually because of this PV. I like the atmosphere they had and it seemed like a nice mood. Hopefully the series is as good as the PV is and they don't try to bloat it, and they can properly balance everything.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The new OVA will be the first entry in the OVA series in 11 years since last episode of the third OAV debuted in 2005.

What about that awful series made of like 5 minute episodes from like a year ago, fll of forgettable characters,and an uninteresting premise?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
The new OVA will be the first entry in the OVA series in 11 years since last episode of the third OAV debuted in 2005.

What about that series made of like 5 minute episodes from like a year ago
That wasn't part of the OVA series, there exists the main series of OVAs, and then other shows; Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi GXP ext. Which all exist in their own universe with their own Lore and characters.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually if I am not mistaken, the main "new" character shown in this trailer is not new at all , its Tenchi's aunt, she makes I think one appearance in GXP. She is the black haired one with purple eyes. The trailer makes here seem important here, and see as she is his aunt I don't see why not.

For God's sake stop talking crap about ova 3, its honestly didn't add that many new characters. It added two characters to the harem, one of who appears in the original ovas and might not even be in the harem in Tokemi, and then Kiyone is added. To Love Ru, DxD and basically any current running harem has on average around 10 girls or more, Tenchi even if you count both has 7 I think?

The only two other characters of note that OVA 3 brought in were Z and Mihoshi brother, but one was a decent antagonist and the other bumbling fool, but overall that was 4 characters. Index/Railgun adds like 5 to ten characters per arc from what it feels like, has at three different main harems, one of which has 10K plus characters in it, not to mention probably 100 plus named characters.

Also OVA 3 actually gave us world building and background, explaining what light hawk wings are. I love how everyone gives 3 crap, when you do realize the first two ova basically pull tenchi's light hawk wings out of their arse, and never really explain anything, giving us a vague handwave matter conversion ability answer. 3 explains why tenchi has the wings, why the jurian ships have the wings, and why ryoko is so similar to the jurian powers because they all share the same origin.

I will hold my reservations on OVA 4, I would ideally like it to at least have around 10 eps because I thought the short run time was the main flaw of ova 3, but I do like what I have seen so far from the retro art style to what seems from the trailer and actual focus on story over slice of life.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Actually if I am not mistaken, the main "new" character shown in this trailer is not new at all , its Tenchi's aunt, she makes I think one appearance in GXP. She is the black haired one with purple eyes. The trailer makes here seem important here, and see as she is his aunt I don't see why not.

For God's sake stop talking crap about ova 3, its honestly didn't add that many new characters. It added two characters to the harem, one of who appears in the original ovas and might not even be in the harem in Tokemi, and then Kiyone is added. To Love Ru, DxD and basically any current running harem has on average around 10 girls or more, Tenchi even if you count both has 7 I think?

The only two other characters of note that OVA 3 brought in were Z and Mihoshi brother, but one was a decent antagonist and the other bumbling fool, but overall that was 4 characters. Index/Railgun adds like 5 to ten characters per arc from what it feels like, has at three different main harems, one of which has 10K plus characters in it, not to mention probably 100 plus named characters.

Also OVA 3 actually gave us world building and background, explaining what light hawk wings are. I love how everyone gives 3 crap, when you do realize the first two ova basically pull tenchi's light hawk wings out of their arse, and never really explain anything, giving us a vague handwave matter conversion ability answer. 3 explains why tenchi has the wings, why the jurian ships have the wings, and why ryoko is so similar to the jurian powers because they all share the same origin.

I will hold my reservations on OVA 4, I would ideally like it to at least have around 10 eps because I thought the short run time was the main flaw of ova 3, but I do like what I have seen so far from the retro art style to what seems from the trailer and actual focus on story over slice of life.

Characters introduced in OVA 3:

- Rae Masaki - Tenchi's dad's new wife, a supposed longtime friend of the family who we've never seen until OVA 3. If she was so damn close to them, why wasn't she in the first two OVAs? Instead of being somebody Nobuyuki was still trying to romance, while Tenchi had to awkwardly had to deal with his father remarrying, it's just treated as no big deal, Tenchi is instantly okay with everything. And she herself has no discernible personality. Completely worthless character. Adds nothing.

- Tennyo, Tenchi's long-lost sister who looks just like his mother. Completely worthless character. Shows up, reveals her existence, then disappears until the very end of the OVA. No discernible personality. Doesn't add anything except being part of the idea that Tenchi's memories of his mother were bullshit.

- Airi Masaki - Katsuhito/Yosho's still alive wife who creates a plothole, because Yosho left the royal court and sequestered himself on Earth all this time, implying he only ever had contact with Earthlings at a certain point, and wouldn't marry somebody arranged for him by the royal court. Again, character adds nothing, shows up just to make a "Look, Tenchi is being hit on by his hot grandma!" joke. Contributes nothing to the plot. Completely worthless character.

- Noike Kamiki Jurai - The Canon Sue new love interest of Tenchi's, though they have zero chemistry, she has no discernible personality, and yet she can do no wrong. Is teeth grindingly perfect at everything, and yet somehow remains really dull and one-note. And frankly, really ugly, and a terribly bland character design. No creativity was put into this character whatsoever and she adds nothing. Completely worthless character.

- Seto Kamiki Jurai - Said to be basically the puppetmaster behind the entire royal court of Jurai and matchmaker. Helps create that plothole about Yosho's life since coming to Earth along with Airi, and herself does nothing really to contribute to the actions of the plot except just being there. Another completely worthless character.

- Misao Kuramitsu - Mihoshi's jealous brother who fails to recognize that his chief subordinate is in love with him. A potentially good character, mind you, but the OVA wastes TWO episodes on him, and he barely interacts with Mihoshi in them! You know, his sister and obsession? I'm not even sure they exchange any words between them. Completely worthless character, and a waste of potential.

- Z - Oooooh boy, Z. Granted, if you look at Kagato or Dr. Clay, he basically plays out like they did, staying mostly hands-off until the conclusion and then beaten pretty handily without any real battle. But he had the potential to be so much more, having an actual backstory, and having access to 5 Lighthawk Wings. Somehow manages to have LESS personality than the previous villains. The final battle is just a jumble of random things Kajishima wanted to shove into his story instead of really cool use of the Wings in a big scale battle. Complete waste of potential, really disappointing character.

And then there are the things they did to existing characters. Ryoko and Ayeka might as well have not been in OVA 3, because even though they are basically the real main characters of TM, they don't actually DO anything or develop at all in OVA 3. All the time they could be using to grow is instead wasted on the aformentioned terribly pointless new characters. Washu regains her memories of being a Chousin, but it's something that isn't even treated as important or a big revelation to her. So much potential for development there, wasted. And then they make Lady Tokimi, the dignified and powerful Chousin that had stayed mostly in the shadows while her sisters were interacting with the people living in the universe is reduced to a goofy chibi character at the end. NOPE.

OVA 3 actually ruined the reputation of the first two OVAs, which while no masterpieces, at least looked like they were leading up to some really great material. But no, Kajishima squandered all the good will afforded to him, because MUH NOVELS. If he wanted to introduce characters from the novels into the animated canon, he should have done it more naturally, instead of just crowbarring them in while the plot and characters stagnate. TM is a complete joke now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I don't think it's the number of girls that is the problem. DxD, TLR (among others) added more girls over the course of the series as it was still going. The first two OVAs ended years before, so people weren't interested in anyone else being added to Tenchi's plate, they just wanted to see more development with what was already established. Whether it was done well or not, I don't really think many fans were interested in someone (or more) added in to the mix. The first few episodes of first OVA added new characters as it went along, but they were done by the 6th (with Washu), after that it was about the cast bouncing off each other. I imagine many would have prefered the focus have stayed on Tenchi, Ayeka, Sasami, Ryoko, Washu & Mihoshi. Sure, add all the secondary and tertiary characters and plot you like, but the core group are those 6.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I've made my peace with characters being added as series go longer, but honestly, I think I'd be more interested in the narrative of Tenchi's dad instead.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
(. . .)

I know you were putting all that in a point to the other user, but thank you so much. I heard OVA 3 was a wreck and it sounded awkward, but I didn't know what was going on. I know now not to watch it. I hope this OVA fixes things or isn't as much wreck, at least.
O-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I think a lot of the Western fandom got so used to the extended Tenchi universe getting so much attention when Tenchi's popularity was at it's peak that everything that OAV 3 did was kind a betrayal of that status quo. It doesn't help that all the incredibly well done films were all part of the TV-verse (barring 2 which was another off shoot continuity).

I actually like additional characters in the OAVS. Mind you some of those came in during GXP but I do agree we're not spending as much time with our current cast and just keep adding more characters to the pot without spending very much time on them.

Generally I still like the overall OAV series but I'm hoping with 4 episodes we get some much needed more introspective and focused episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Characters introduced in OVA 3:

- Rae Masaki - Tenchi's dad's new wife, a supposed longtime friend of the family who we've never seen until OVA 3. If she was so damn close to them, why wasn't she in the first two OVAs? Instead of being somebody Nobuyuki was still trying to romance, while Tenchi had to awkwardly had to deal with his father remarrying, it's just treated as no big deal, Tenchi is instantly okay with everything. And she herself has no discernible personality. Completely worthless character. Adds nothing.

- Tennyo, Tenchi's long-lost sister who looks just like his mother. Completely worthless character. Shows up, reveals her existence, then disappears until the very end of the OVA. No discernible personality. Doesn't add anything except being part of the idea that Tenchi's memories of his mother were bullshit.

- Airi Masaki - Katsuhito/Yosho's still alive wife who creates a plothole, because Yosho left the royal court and sequestered himself on Earth all this time, implying he only ever had contact with Earthlings at a certain point, and wouldn't marry somebody arranged for him by the royal court. Again, character adds nothing, shows up just to make a "Look, Tenchi is being hit on by his hot grandma!" joke. Contributes nothing to the plot. Completely worthless character.

- Noike Kamiki Jurai - The Canon Sue new love interest of Tenchi's, though they have zero chemistry, she has no discernible personality, and yet she can do no wrong. Is teeth grindingly perfect at everything, and yet somehow remains really dull and one-note. And frankly, really ugly, and a terribly bland character design. No creativity was put into this character whatsoever and she adds nothing. Completely worthless character.

- Seto Kamiki Jurai - Said to be basically the puppetmaster behind the entire royal court of Jurai and matchmaker. Helps create that plothole about Yosho's life since coming to Earth along with Airi, and herself does nothing really to contribute to the actions of the plot except just being there. Another completely worthless character.

- Misao Kuramitsu - Mihoshi's jealous brother who fails to recognize that his chief subordinate is in love with him. A potentially good character, mind you, but the OVA wastes TWO episodes on him, and he barely interacts with Mihoshi in them! You know, his sister and obsession? I'm not even sure they exchange any words between them. Completely worthless character, and a waste of potential.

- Z - Oooooh boy, Z. Granted, if you look at Kagato or Dr. Clay, he basically plays out like they did, staying mostly hands-off until the conclusion and then beaten pretty handily without any real battle. But he had the potential to be so much more, having an actual backstory, and having access to 5 Lighthawk Wings. Somehow manages to have LESS personality than the previous villains. The final battle is just a jumble of random things Kajishima wanted to shove into his story instead of really cool use of the Wings in a big scale battle. Complete waste of potential, really disappointing character.

And then there are the things they did to existing characters. Ryoko and Ayeka might as well have not been in OVA 3, because even though they are basically the real main characters of TM, they don't actually DO anything or develop at all in OVA 3. All the time they could be using to grow is instead wasted on the aformentioned terribly pointless new characters. Washu regains her memories of being a Chousin, but it's something that isn't even treated as important or a big revelation to her. So much potential for development there, wasted. And then they make Lady Tokimi, the dignified and powerful Chousin that had stayed mostly in the shadows while her sisters were interacting with the people living in the universe is reduced to a goofy chibi character at the end. NOPE.

OVA 3 actually ruined the reputation of the first two OVAs, which while no masterpieces, at least looked like they were leading up to some really great material. But no, Kajishima squandered all the good will afforded to him, because MUH NOVELS. If he wanted to introduce characters from the novels into the animated canon, he should have done it more naturally, instead of just crowbarring them in while the plot and characters stagnate. TM is a complete joke now.

Fair enough there were a few more characters that I forgot, although at least 3 of the characters if not more that you mentioned were already in GXP, so the third ova wasn't introducing a new character.

But on this point I am going to call you out. Yes he is the series creator, but what a lot of seem to conveniently forget, or maybe you don't know, is that he doesn't even own the rights to the franchise. Technically that is AIC. Do you even look at the credits, in ova 3 most of his credits indirect. And to further put it home, the ovas are only a fragement of his story that he has expanded on but we just don't get because its "no export for you". Half the stuff that feels like it came out of left field in the ova were concepts that were fleshed out and expanded up in his novels and Doushiji.

Also considering Tenchi is an author avatar, while Ryoko and Aeka were the popular heroines they were not the main characters by any stretch. Tenchi is the main character but he could probably be considered either an early harem hero deconstruction or parody because even the name of the show alludes to "no need for" tenchi, aka the typical face throw away protagonist in most harem.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Fair enough there were a few more characters that I forgot, although at least 3 of the characters if not more that you mentioned were already in GXP, so the third ova wasn't introducing a new character.

But on this point I am going to call you out. Yes he is the series creator, but what a lot of seem to conveniently forget, or maybe you don't know, is that he doesn't even own the rights to the franchise. Technically that is AIC. Do you even look at the credits, in ova 3 most of his credits indirect. And to further put it home, the ovas are only a fragement of his story that he has expanded on but we just don't get because its "no export for you". Half the stuff that feels like it came out of left field in the ova were concepts that were fleshed out and expanded up in his novels and Doushiji.

Also considering Tenchi is an author avatar, while Ryoko and Aeka were the popular heroines they were not the main characters by any stretch. Tenchi is the main character but he could probably be considered either an early harem hero deconstruction or parody because even the name of the show alludes to "no need for" tenchi, aka the typical face throw away protagonist in most harem.

and its why their not going to change his character (i would rather have a harem male lead to be like tenchi,his brother kenchi and even ichika orimura from IS than have them like that uber perv issei from dxd or an absolute bastard like makoto from school days) as well as have the other girls change anytime soon no matter how many times the haters like penguin gripe about OVA 3. and to be frank its not even the worst of the tenchi series. that honor goes to the tokyo series which was downright atrocious. at least the third ova and even gxp was more fun to watch than tokyo.

also from the look of the trailer, its more or less this ova will take place after kenchi is sent to geminar,which i have a nasty suspicion is where washu is from. definitely disappointing that this ova wont have any hints or cameos of geminar to solve those lingering questions from the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2