• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! 3rd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peebs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I've watched episode 4 twice and I still react the same way with that last point. Each time I'm close to tears and get chills at how stupefied they all look. It takes seconds that stretch into eternity for it to sink that they won the set. And now with heart in hand, I wait for episode 5.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:

Same progression as tennis: point; game (tennis only); set; match.

Thanks, good to know - since the only competitive sport I ever did was cross country, I get sports terms mixed up.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they sped through the third set and most of the fourth one in just one episode, although I assume the manga didn't spend too many chapters on them either. I suppose we're in for another deuce, followed by an incredibly long fifth set, but I'm sure it will all be beautifully animated and exciting as hell.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Interestingly enough, Shirabu also has some Oikawa in his past, possibly making him the single most influential character in the series.

This sentence reads as if Shirabu is the most influential one. I was kinda stopped in my tracks trying to understand why you'd say that, until two sentences later you finally clarified you meant Oikawa, since obviously Shirabu wasn't sneaking in.

Anyway, loved the "disguise." And the fact that he came. Speaking of people dropping by, I'd have been disappointed if Grampa Ukai hadn't come (how could he stay away?), and I really hope we find out what's up with the tsundere fan.

While it would've been nice to see the 3rd set (can't have too much Haikyuu), I liked that they kept on playing while we were off in Flashback Land, as if not even backstories can slow this train down. Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

This sentence reads as if Shirabu is the most influential one. I was kinda stopped in my tracks trying to understand why you'd say that, until two sentences later you finally clarified you meant Oikawa, since obviously Shirabu wasn't sneaking in.

Sorry about that. Embarassed That headache I mentioned was a beast, but I still should have caught the confusion!
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
From Episode 6 review wrote:
.. I may have to start holding onto something I can squeeze while watching.

For the next 2-3 episodes, definitely yes. The last episode? Anime hyper
Peebs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I think my neighbors can hear me hooting, hollering, and clapping when I watch this show. It keeps me on the edge of my seat more than watching anything else this season, including YOI. When they win their 5th set, nothing will contain me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Tendo is definitely giving off Midousuji vibes. Smile

I'm so glad Suga got to play, win or lose.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap - this show is so incredibly god damned good at drawing you in emotionally. I don't care one iota about volleyball but I'll be damned if I'm not *at least* cheering or wincing with every twist and turn in these matches. Haikyuu's been a god damned fantastic production, and this season's just making that all the more clear!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Tsukki sure got a dramatic entrance! I guess this was Kazunari Tanaka's last episode. Anime cry But what a wonderful bit of dialog to leave us with!
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess this was Kazunari Tanaka's last episode. Anime cry But what a wonderful bit of dialog to leave us with!

Yeah, that was probably the best parting line in Haikyu he could have gotten. Rest in peace.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Not sure whether the reviewer simply didn't know but I wanted it to be noted in the review that the Ukai's line at the end of the episode was late seiyuu Kazunari Tanaka's last job as the role.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
^ I was saving a memorial for the final episode, but it does deserve a mention here.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I loved Ukai motivation shout at the end. Such a great coach. His VA will be missed. And Tsukishima is coming in like a returning hero.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and both Hinata and Daisuke find that their legs just aren't quite working the way they want them to.

Did you mean Daichi?

Egawa wasn't bad as Ukai but definitely needs a bit more gruffness in his voice. I agree with the reviewer's points on this. Makes me all the more glad that Tanaka was able to say Ukai's "shita wo mukun da janee" line last week. It would've been even more devastating had he left us before that. RIP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3