• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toriko Gourmet Battle Manga Ends on November 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
I've always enjoyed Toriko as a ballsy, bonkers, mad and solliy as all hell series and this final arc has most certainly made up for any lack in narrative consistancy by just being utterly mental. I'll miss it.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
This just leaves Gin Tama as the final WSJ manga from the 00's, and even that is set to end soon.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Sad Goodbye Toriko. I was one of the only people to have liked the manga, and have followed it from the start. Although it wasn't helped by the crappy anime.
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
While Toriko is far from being what I would call a favorites series of mine that has left any sort of impact on me, it's sure done a hell of a much better job than Bleach has as far at working towards the climax and properly wrapping things up. Then again, I'm sure Kubo Tite would love to steal a famous quote from the creator of Mighty No. 9, Keiji Inafune. That quote being:

Quote:
It's better than nothing.

Oh no... I can assure you that nothing is better than how the final arc of Bleach turned out. Man... why does everything always turn into me hating on Bleach? I guess it's sure left a negative impact on me if I had to give it any sort of credit.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
It was fun while it lasted i guess.

Mr Adventure wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:
The manga had been underwhelming for a long time.

Really? This last arc has been completely mental.

In the best ways possible.

Certainly ending better then the damp fart that was Bleach.

And way better then Naruto.

Honesty thats weak imo you literally just trying to make toriko seem better by comparison. Thats just a cheap tack tick people use when they know they really cant defend a series they like with anything aside from calling it cool. Dont get me wrong i didn't care for bleachs last arc(fights where meh) and narutos final arc was underwhelming asf but the least you could do is defend toriko with its own merits instead of just pushing 2 of the most overhyped shonen in the conversation to make it look good.

Sure, I'll defend Toriko. Its a muscle bound action comic that doesn't pretend to be anything its not. Crazy fights with lots of cross hatching. Its heroes were presented as adults living in a wild world. Sure it had typical shonen traps, with growing a huge cast over time and never daring prune the fat, and it really is about tough guys either punching grotesque monsters, or, more often, each other. And it never really let its women characters shine...

But Toriko is currently fighting a living appetite that can literally eat anything it touches, including energy and the concept of... LUCK. Its shear WTF factor gives it an edge over everything except maybe One Piece and My Hero Academia. Its an action manga in the grand tradition of Fist of the Northstar and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. There aren't a lot of manga like it. And when its gone, it'll be a huge gaping void in the Jump line-up that can't easily be replaced. (Unlike how easily Black Clover has taken over for Naruto, spoiler[but better])

I actually think Toriko's biggest failing was that nobody tried to make a 'Monster Hunter' type video game out of it. With the right game it could have helped get the series more over with non-fans.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read Naruto until 2012, in the pages of WSJ. Its final arc was literally incomprehensible, Masashi Kishimoto apparently had no idea how to choreograph a fight scene, because I never could tell where anyone was in a physical space.

Presumably this was better early on? Because nothing really jumped out to me to make it a 'must read' manga from what I did read.

That said, Boruto has been pretty solid for its run so far. I think being monthly helps. Also Masashi Kishimoto isn't drawing it.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Just when it's ratings were getting good again Sad
Hopefully a sequel is launched in the new magazine that's coming out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

yes have you seen Naruto's? it's worse

Well yeah if you ignore the fact that unlike Bleach Kishimoto more or less resolved pretty much every plot thread in the story and didn't rush the final battle.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:
The manga had been underwhelming for a long time.

Really? This last arc has been completely mental.

In the best ways possible.

Certainly ending better then the damp fart that was Bleach.

And way better then Naruto.

Personally, I'd say Toriko was sinking lower and lower ever since the stories shifted to the Gourmet World, but the awesomeness shot back up for the final battle.

It also addressed spoiler[the damage the Earth had taken too--I had expected Shimabukuro to gloss overall those shots from space of the characters slicing through landmasses, creating continent-sized explosions, and lopping off chunks of the planet, but it actually built up to something.]

theNightster wrote:
it's pretty ironic, Jump tried to push the series as the next big thing, and it just never took off so they gave up on overly promoting it(toei even did that crossover with One piece and DBZ which was weird to see them fight because Goku should be obliterating Luffy and Toriko like ants but that's besides the point) it didn't help that the anime version was utter ass

Well, Luffy's still not at that level, but towards the end of Toriko, the characters are at least at late Vegeta arc or early Namek arc levels of power. They can all launch planet-destroying attacks on a whim. Neo may be closer to Frieza levels.

veemonjosh wrote:
This just leaves Gin Tama as the final WSJ manga from the 00's, and even that is set to end soon.

Didn't Hunter X Hunter get started in 2001? Or was it earlier than that?
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Didn't Hunter X Hunter get started in 2001? Or was it earlier than that?
actually no, Hunter x hunter started in 98.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2