• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pacific Rim Sequel Begins Filming Under the Title Pacific Rim: Maelstrom

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited, y'all. Pacific Rim is my favorite big, dumb movie.
Anyone who doesn't love giant robots clobbering giant monsters has killed off their inner eight-year-old.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Well it looks like Pacific Rim 2 is really happening not that I'm complaining but it just feels like it's been forever since the first one came out and it seems like all of the momentum is gone. Confused
Merman-X

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
that image though, did Japan just made new Jaegers replacing their destroyed ones?
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
So is this a prequel? Because unless there where straggling Kaiju after the ruft was sealed i'm fairly certain the Jaigers (Or at least what was left of them) became moot.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
So is this a prequel? Because unless there where straggling Kaiju after the ruft was sealed i'm fairly certain the Jaigers (Or at least what was left of them) became moot.

The lead is the son of a character in the first movie, so presumably it's not a "prequel". I thought people had been talking about the rift re-opening as the plot (heck, we killed all the aliens in Independence Day, but they made another one where they came back later.

And giant robots are NEVER "moot"( Wink ), heck just make a movie about nations fighting each other with Jaegars without the threat of monster invasion to keep us in line and call it "Pacific Rim: Gundam knockoff"
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:

To me, i'd assume that the countries that still had Jaegers left wouldn't immediately give them up. It could become an arms race into a man on man war. Maybe they'll create an AI, and the AI runs amok. There are possibilities. maybe aliens, different ones, from above?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Well it looks like Pacific Rim 2 is really happening not that I'm complaining but it just feels like it's been forever since the first one came out and it seems like all of the momentum is gone. Confused

Yes, but we didn't have the Godzilla '14 sequel, or Kong of Skull Island to "franchise" it with...

(Just like Michael Bay didn't want to do another Transformers movie, but Paramount wanted a Hasbro "franchise", so, back it came, to do its job.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
They should have started filming back January so we could get a release next summer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1