• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Knights of Sidonia Season 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Chaos dragon already get a physical release and yet it took us years to get Nichijou! Mad
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
... And I was just going to post "And all these shows no one asked for got dubs but Nichijou didn't."

This won't be the first Kyoto Animation show I'll complain about until it got a dub but I'm always optimistic the current one will be be the last. And there's been five so far...

Five. Let's make it 6! 100 bucks right here for a Kickstater, Funimation. Do something right for 2017.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Chaos dragon already get a physical release and yet it took us years to get Nichijou! Mad

This is a rather unfair statement. There is a high possibility that licensing issues was a large part of why it took this long for Nichijou to be released. Chaos Dragon was licensed for streaming and simuldubbed; it makes sense for Funimation to release it why it is still fresh in the mind of fans and to recoup some money from the expense of its (misguided or not) dub.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I totally dropped Knights of Sidonia,after it started caring more about being a wacky space harem,instead of focusing on the hard Sci-fi that got me into the series.That and the characters aren't all that interesting.Nihei knows how to do atmosphere and world-building,but can't write characters at all.He was trying way too hard to grab at a mainstream audience with this.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I keep meaning to watch the second season of Sidonia. This review has definitely given me a little push to doing that since I haven't watched anything lately.

The shelfer this week has won my envy for the Shinkai Collection and the Patlabor collection. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
The shelfer this week has won my envy for the Shinkai Collection and the Patlabor collection. Laughing

Thank you!
I bought both collections many years ago, but neither of their issuers—ADV and Beez respectively—are in business any longer. Fortunately, Shinkai's first two films have recently been re-released over here by Anime Limited.
Concerning Patlabor, I believe the North American blu-rays of the first two films can still be found in the standard places. As you can see, the only Patlabor-related items I have yet to acquire is the full television series, which is still somewhat expensive in its entirety.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki Glad to see another Gunbuster fan out there! Have you had a chance to see Diebuster, the sequel/homage series?

I really enjoyed season 2 of Knights of Sidonia, as it's where the really "out there" stuff from the manga starts to come into play, plus i really liked the last battle. I admit that my enjoyment of the "romantic" hijinks is mostly ironic; whenever the series tries to be funny or silly, it feels like an alien trying to model human behavior.

I'm reminded of the first season, when Tanikaze accidentally finds himself in the girl's shower; as per the anime standard cliche, one of the girls punches him out, but instead of the cartoonish slapstick, it gives him a visceral concussion. Maybe I'm the weird one, but i find that weird tonal contrast fascinating.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Glad to see another Gunbuster fan out there! Have you had a chance to see Diebuster, the sequel/homage series?

Thank you most kindly! My copy of Diebuster was released in an individual thin-pack, which is eclipsed by its predecessor when the two products stand beside one another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this second season as much as I did the first. It's nice to see a reviewer who doesn't just go "Eww Yucky" to the CG. It isn't as good as traditional anime in character movement and facial expressions, but it is improving (ignoring at least the first few episodes of Berserk 2016). Between this and Ajin at least, there are some respectable CG anime out there.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
(ignoring at least the first few episodes of Berserk 2016)

Quote:
it can keep up with visual direction without any risk of characters or machines going off-model

With all, the controversy surrounding this series, at least being in CG saved it from being Studio Deen-like in animation. I wonder if people saw that the opening has some off-model shots, and it´s in 2D. Clearly this new studio, which I heard it´s a spawn of Liden Films(of Terraformars Revenge infamy) didn´t have their minds to work to death on making 2D animation
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... And I was just going to post "And all these shows no one asked for got dubs but Nichijou didn't."

Right? I guess we'll just have to remain bitter about Nichijou not getting a dub until the end of all existence. XD
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
meiam wrote:

This is a rather unfair statement. There is a high possibility that licensing issues was a large part of why it took this long for Nichijou to be released. Chaos Dragon was licensed for streaming and simuldubbed; it makes sense for Funimation to release it why it is still fresh in the mind of fans and to recoup some money from the expense of its (misguided or not) dub.

Chaos Dragon actually was not simuldubbed, as only the first 2 preview dub episodes are currently up on Funimation streaming. The rest won't be up until tomorrow when the Blu-ray comes out.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Knights of Sidonia ended up being pretty bad with how it seemed more interested in its dull romance/comedy routine (which only had the benefit of enormous articial mostrosity being a part of it I guess). There's also the fact that that it kept putting our personality-less main character on a pedestal as the only one worth a damn whenever a gauna shows up. I'm fine with the CGI, it's just Nihei being a bad writer in this instance that trickled into and ruined the anime.

Not to mention spoiler[the overall story is too directionless. To the point where the series had to recycle the final boss from the first season just to have something to do with the final episodes. Everything to do with Ochiai's uprising is just left to the side, only to be dealt with in the manga, There's easily enough material for a 3rd season so I wouldn't be too surprised if one materializes eventually.]
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As you can see, the only Patlabor-related items I have yet to acquire is the full television series, which is still somewhat expensive in its entirety.

Not sure about the DVDs, but the North American Blu-ray sets are going OOP. Collection 1 is no longer available new on Amazon.com while Right Stuf says collection 2 is OOP (less than twenty new copies left on Amazon, sold by Anime Corner).
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Ironic for me since I watched AxM and Joukamachi in that order over the summer.

Also, please watch Joukamachi for best girl Kanade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2