• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! School Idol Festival Arcade Game's December 6 Debut, New Trailer Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I should really play this when I go to Japan in February. Likely it won't have any English, so I'm not sure if I can play it, but I can at least try.

I bet it won't work with the English version of the mobile game anyhow...
garlogan78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Between this and Aikatsu I might never leave the arcade.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder why they can't make the game available on the PS4?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:

I remember reading an interview with a Dave and Busters executive about a year ago, in which he stated that once a non-racing arcade game was released on home consoles, the arcade game stopped bringing in money, to the point where it was impossible to justify the machine's floor space. That might be a factor here.
qashairy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:

That reminds me, since the original IM@S transformation from arcade to getting PS3 & PS4 releases, the arcade version gets less attention...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder if these will show up at any Round One arcades around here. They sometimes get imported arcade machines that are meant to go with something else that either aren't distributed or is region-incompatible but dont really care.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I remember reading an interview with a Dave and Busters executive about a year ago, in which he stated that once a non-racing arcade game was released on home consoles, the arcade game stopped bringing in money, to the point where it was impossible to justify the machine's floor space. That might be a factor here.

That's an interesting thought, though I would've assumed that games that rely on gimmick controls, like the pop'n music series and the Neon FM series, could still function reasonably well in arcades. (I'd guess that remark also excludes redemption games, which are still a big draw into whatever arcades are left.)

That being said, the Japanese arcade scene, where this game is meant to be played, and the American arcade scene, where Dave & Busters operates, are very different environments. Even the industries are different, as arcade game makers in the United States like Ice or Raw Thrills rarely make home console games (or vice versa, for that matter), whereas in Japan there's a lot of crossover, with companies like Bandai-Namco, SEGA, Konami, and Capcom all having strong arcade presence.

Round 1 operates pretty differently than Dave & Busters though. As I mentioned above, they import in arcade games from other countries, and its aim is to be somewhere between a Japanese arcade and an American arcade in approach. Save Point is like this too, only they're a rental service for events rather than permanent fixtures.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Gundam VS series get home console port but the arcade is still going strong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1