• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Tops Box Offices in Thailand, Hong Kong

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
The world domination has started.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
At this rate, this film is one nod from John Lasseter away from being unprecedented.

Somehow, however, I imagine its western prospects will have its limitations. The broader audience for world cinema in the Anglosphere doesn't really respond to anime films that are not from Ghibli, so this work's success is unlikely to extend beyond the existing anime market. (Efforts are certainly being made to overcome this though—in my city, nearly every major Underground station has a poster for the upcoming theatrical screenings.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
The issue is that 3D animation has generally been far more profitable than its 2-D counterpart. People are just enamored with a pure 3-D style. 2-D just doesn't look that good to the public anymore, especially to Americans.

That said, it's been a long time since a non-Ghibli film got this much attention so who knows? It might change the recent trends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1