• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Drifters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Baskerville wrote:
Come on, James, no mention of the introduction of Yamaguchi and the Gu Binnen Trade Federation?

Too busy complaining about the humor. I mean, fine, he doesn't like it, we get that, but it's not going anywhere no matter how much he complains about it. That horse died several episodes ago.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Never watched Hellsing but I personally rather like the humor, I think the joke are funny and they show just how detach all the character are to the violence, what might seems like an horrible murder might just be something Nobunaga is accustomed to, so no problem for him to make a joke after it. I've been feeling like some good old fashion amoral over the top violence so I'm quite glad at how this is developing, wonder how much we'll actually get of the whole "conquer territory" things, I hope they eventually make there own army and go on to try and conquer the world, would be quite entertaining.

The animation is a bit all over the place, it's pretty barebone outside of fight (with plenty of essentially single frame shoot) but it's pretty good in the battle, I guess that's the best way they could have done so, rather than distribute the budget evenly and have worse battle.

And yes, the OP is great, love sinking the month to the song.

If you like ulraviolence, you really REALLY need to watch Hellsing Ultimate.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Baskerville wrote:
I was disappointed with Robert McCollum though, as he sounds just too young for Nobunaga.

Too young, you say??? I don't see how that is, considering McCollum's 45 voicing a character that's suppose to be 50. Confused

Besides, how do we really know what Nobunaga sounded like?
Baskerville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Baskerville wrote:
I was disappointed with Robert McCollum though, as he sounds just too young for Nobunaga.

Too young, you say??? I don't see how that is, considering McCollum's 45 voicing a character that's suppose to be 50. Confused

Besides, how do we really know what Nobunaga sounded like?

Robert may not be young but I'm just saying Nobunaga's voice sounds too young for my taste...I guess I'm just comparing it to Uchida, who I think is perfect.
Baskerville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Baskerville wrote:
Come on, James, no mention of the introduction of Yamaguchi and the Gu Binnen Trade Federation?

Too busy complaining about the humor. I mean, fine, he doesn't like it, we get that, but it's not going anywhere no matter how much he complains about it. That horse died several episodes ago.

Totally...let it go already
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
This may be the best version of Joan of Arc I've seen, I saw this Movie about her once where she was made to be this perfect being. This crazy bitch seems more like how the real life version would. A maniac who heard voices in her head and joined the army.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Anyone else felt a bit let-down by Toyohisa vs. Joan? I mean, i agree with the outcome and the logic behind it (Joan was historically more of a morale booster then a fighter), but i would have liked a bit more physical back-and-forth between the two.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
The action was good in the episode, but there was a bit too much repeated dialog from what came before (familiar lines like "this reminds me of X historical event I was a part of", or "I need to get gunpowder, it'll help a lot"), and the action itself wasn't particularly imaginative, though the production values at least were good. I don't like the anime trope of "I would have never thought to do such-and-such crazy idea in battle", so that was kind of annoying to see, and I wished the episode would get to the point more quickly than dwell on the character's expositions in the middle of battle.

I was also disappointed by the Toyohisa v. Joan fight, but more from how he disrespected her just because she was a woman. Toyohisa was the most identifiable/honorable character in the show so far, but ending his fight with Joan by telling her to "go home and act like a woman" just made him seem like a jerk. Admittedly, it's probably how his character would have viewed the world in a historical context, but that aside, Joan was a really cool character, and seeing her get totally dissed like that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
"Wait, you are a woman? There's no honour in taking a woman's head! Go home and start acting like a woman!"

I eyerolled so hard I might have gone blind. Sure, might go with his character's background, but... c'on, really, there's plenty of ways to show that.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
"Wait, you are a woman? There's no honour in taking a woman's head! Go home and start acting like a woman!"

I eyerolled so hard I might have gone blind. Sure, might go with his character's background, but... c'on, really, there's plenty of ways to show that.

Yeah, that was definitely a cringey moment. I had a paragraph making note of that, but the review was already a little long, and I otherwise felt like criticizing a Japanese warrior from hundreds of years ago for being sexist would be a little redundant. The show spent enough time detailing Joan's backstory and demonstrating her capability on the battlefield that I figured that, subtextually at least, the writers knew that Shimazu's comments were off base. Hopefully it's a one-off thing, though. If that's what his entire rapport with her is going to be, it'll get really annoying, really fast o_O
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Why do Butch and Sundance have a Gatling gun? I mean, they could, it's not an anachronism, but weren't they more about rifles and handguns in their work? Hauling around a Gatling gun for train and bank robberies wouldn't have been very practical.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This might just be my faulty memory, but I could have sworn that one of the two said something about the Wild Bunch (as in an actual gang, not the movie). So maybe the Gatling gun is a tip of the stetson to the movie. Or, more likely, Hirano just thought it'd be bad-ass.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
The past is the past. It is not the present that we live in. I know its the popular thing nowadays to consider George Washington and Thomas Jefferson as monsters. Christopher Columbus got burned at the stake, several years ago. So I guess we are just moving up the timeline.

But do we really want our historical figures to be perfect models of our current PC culture. Would they really be historical figures then. That said, do we really want to sanitize the past and pretend all the bad things that we don't like now, never existed.

While Drifters is high fantasy and probably some science fiction thrown in, (and they will probably take some liberties) I wouldn't want them to turn their historical figures into benchmarks of our current culture and society.

If we are only going to present a sanitized version of the past, does it really make sense to even go there.

But I guess that is just the way of things now. Hell, my parents would be considered child abusers now, because they made me walk a couple of miles to and from school sometimes. It's really sad.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I agree that we are not served by sanitizing history. But that does not mean we should not criticize those now disdained sentiments and actions. I fervently disagree with the sentiment that Toyohisa directed at Joan and I hope she can convince him to stop underestimating women (especially ones that can magically produce fire!) but I do not hold it against the show for bringing it up as that was a common sentiment at the time and a long time past that. I don't even need him to change his attitude to women in general really. Just particular.

As to the examples brought up, I personally doubt that Washington and Jefferson will receive the same treatment as Columbus, as those two did much good and at the very least things that are worthy of memorializing for Americans at least, despite participating in and abiding a monstrous system that ran against the very ideals that they founded the country upon. Columbus proved what had been proven centuries (actually more like millennia) before then, and discovered what had already be discovered, while committing monstrous acts no better and actually somewhat worse what the other two did, not that such deeds were unique to him, not that that makes it better. All were morally complex men and it is best to remember them as such, neither demonizing nor lionizing them.

As to the norms, rules, and laws imposed on parents nowadays, I agree they are too often messed up. I've seen stories of parents being criminally charged for letting their kids walk to and from a playground by themselves. That is sad and we need to do better.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
@zrnzle500

It makes no sense to criticize a show for depicting the past as it actually was. Every show and movie that depicts the past are going to contain elements that some find offensive. That should be a given, and it shouldn't be a means to criticize that show or movie, unless it truly glorifies that element.

As to the other thing, I doubt things are going to get better. Everything is framed as 'save the children'. It is kind of hard to go against that without getting burned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10