• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Continues Streaming Nanbaka Anime Into Season 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this may indicate that the Production Committee believes they can cover their costs without having a broadcast?

Mark Gosdin
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I wonder if this may indicate that the Production Committee believes they can cover their costs without having a broadcast?

Mark Gosdin

I believe so since broadcast costs are outrageous, even with just the music rights. Also, they could get away with more mature content.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess Aaron's gonna be extra busy dubbing the two seasons back-to-back.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they wanted to strike while the iron was hot with the second season and didn't want to wait for a slot to open up. That or the broadcaster didn't see fit to broadcast a second season at all.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
So Funimation now has at least 5 broadcast dubs confirmed for Winter 2017 (Puzzle&Dragons, Monster Hunter, All Out, Trickster, and Nanbaka). Seems like a wise decision what with how there are only 3 noteworthy winter 2017 anime that aren't licensed by Aniplex. Those three being ACCA, Akiba's Trip, and the new KyoAni show.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
I hope this works out well for them and other series take this approach. This would mean that more series could and would get continuations because a lot of the time a new/next season of a show take so long to be release or even produced hinge on the schedule of the broadcast companies. This would eliminate that factor and give shows that did relatively well but not well enough to warrant a TV broadcast a fighting chance to continue.

I feel shows like Prison School, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet and Strike Blood would all have second season if they utilized this route.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
I hope this works out well for them and other series take this approach. This would mean that more series could and would get continuations because a lot of the time a new/next season of a show take so long to be release or even produced hinge on the schedule of the broadcast companies. This would eliminate that factor and give shows that did relatively well but not well enough to warrant a TV broadcast a fighting chance to continue.

I feel shows like Prison School, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet and Strike Blood would all have second season if they utilized this route.

Gargantia s2 was cancelled due to certain production disagreements not due to the scheduling so there is more to it..but yeah for the other two it could work, since it might a little to provocative for them to air them.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Gargantia s2 was cancelled due to certain production disagreements not due to the scheduling so there is more to it..but yeah for the other two it could work, since it might a little to provocative for them to air them.

The thing with that is I'm certain that those problems wouldn't have arised or at least have been so prominent if the project already had a broadcast platform planned and ready. I'm not denying that those issues wouldn't have impacted the project, but at the very least, some of the pressure would have been revealed creating a less stressful environment in turn giving the project more wiggle room.

That is why I hope this pans out for them, because if it does than more productions wouldn't have to drag their feet if they wanted to continue a story. Like Konosuba would probably have already aired by now if it didn't decide to air on TV. But that is a bad example because it is only getting a second season because it did very well and that success is arguably due to it being broadcasted on TV.

Don't get me wrong, shows like A Certain franchise (Index, Railgun) will have outside issues that keep it from producing more material and sometimes even successful shows like Overload or Danmachi don't get sequel even though their sales warrant them just because. Those issues will still persist.

What I'm hoping for is shows that are teetering on making a second season or not, this could be the push they need to go ahead and make it happen. Those kind of show are the ones I'm talking about.

Also, this shows that the Japanese productions committee sees and undersands the value the national market that is online has and considers it's potential as something worth tapping into. If this endeavor proves worth while, we can see more anime getting complete stories instead of a "good point to stop in the story" ending and "go read the manga" ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1