• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Heroes' Masi Oka Appears in Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
If they're gonna keep L as a minority why not keep him Asian? Asians are the true minorities in Hollywood.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
If they're gonna keep L as a minority why not keep him Asian? Asians are the true minorities in Hollywood.

L is only partial Asian, but he's mostly English. Watari on the other hand is an Englishman in the manga.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that he'll be playing Matsuda. Oka definitely has that dorkiness about him.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Willem Defoe as the voice of Ryuk seems like perfect casting for a Hollywood actor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Yeah, there's no such thing as a "true minority." That might be the most absurd thing I have heard in a while.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
My guess is that he'll be playing Matsuda. Oka definitely has that dorkiness about him.

I had the same thing in my mind. I can see him playing as Matsuda.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Yeah, there's no such thing as a "true minority." That might be the most absurd thing I have heard in a while.
It's a mindset that's actually been around for decades, although it's usually used to discredit Asian Americans, since Asian-Americans don't suffer from the same things other minorities do (increased poverty, lower education, increased crime rates). They get labeled as "model minorities" instead.

-Stuart Smith
valoon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
omg i love this guy since heroes!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Seriously dude, stop being a purebred weeb and actually read the manga - L is, according to Ohba, only a quarter Japanese and otherwise European (besides, we've known his actor for months now). At least they didn't whitewash L. And at least TRY to like the film for completely different reasons - Doctor Strange had whitewashing and it was fantastic.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Seriously dude, stop being a purebred weeb and actually read the manga - L is, according to Ohba, only a quarter Japanese and otherwise European (besides, we've known his actor for months now). At least they didn't whitewash L. And at least TRY to like the film for completely different reasons - Doctor Strange had whitewashing and it was fantastic.

So I wasn't going to complain about whitewashing in Death Note because they did cast a black person as L, and so I can only conclude they were trying to cast with equality in mind. But it's absurd to tell people "TRY to like the film for completely different reasons." Maybe YOU aren't personally bothered by it enough you can ignore it, but that doesn't mean other people aren't.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
will he use his time stop ability?
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

You don't know what whitewashing means you dumb tumblrtard
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Masi Oka supposedly also has a cameo in Kingsglaive. Although he's probably not at all recognizable. I haven't seen any screenshots pointing out where he appears (but he is credited).
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Kinda agree that Asian-American actors are less likely to be cast in roles specifically written to be Asian than others--off the top of my head, I can think of 21 from 2008 (particularly notorious, since it was based on a *true* story), The Last Airbender (*shudders* that was bad in every way, but the casting was a huge red flag), and just from this year, Doctor Strange, Ghost in the Shell, this...it happens *a lot.* Just because Asian Americans have a "model minority" stereotype attached to them doesn't mean that there aren't negative stereotypes, or even hurtful positive ones, all over American media. I think its pretty telling that it took 20 years to feature an Asian American family in a TV sitcom since the last, and first, attempt to make one (remember "All American Girl" created by Margaret Cho in the '90s?) --and that "Fresh Off the Boat" is partly about busting stereotypes regarding first generation Asian American kids (they're not all good at school, etc).
If you don't see it as a problem, perhaps you don't understand how media portrayals of characters and stereotypes can make real life discrimination worse.
Hypothetically, every individual artistic creator can cast films or shows however they want to--if they were the sole decider of casting decisions, and casting decisions were made based on artistic considerations. The way casting actually works is way more political, decided by committees at Hollywood studios based on what they think will sell. It's not based on talent, ability, or what would work best for the film. I'd love to see studios do blind casting--listen to auditions first without seeing the name or face of the actor, choosing candidates for second auditions based solely on quality and talent, etc. When orchestras started using blind auditions in the Seventies and Eighties, female performers hired to orchestras increased significantly: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_audition
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Keep him Asian? L is not Asian in the first place! And what the hell is a "true minority"? That makes no sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2