• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2016

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
for how popular usoku tensei is, it's sad it does not sell enough to make it to these lists.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
The Shinkai domination continues. DAL deserves to be higher.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Grimgar's doing well! Maybe we'll get a second season!
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Like the fact that Re:Zero is kicking ass and hope they step on the release schedule so that we can get more content adapted sooner. The story has just begun.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that Re:Zero managed to break through the 1M-copy threshold! Smile The cute appearances of Rem and Ram must have helped.

Edit: Alright! 5200 posts!
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Like the fact that Re:Zero is kicking ass and hope they step on the release schedule so that we can get more content adapted sooner. The story has just begun.

I predict recap movies in late 2017-early 2018. Season 2 summer/fall 2018. That should buy enough time for the novel releases to get ahead enough for another season. (and yes I know it's based on a web novel which is even further ahead, but the anime is an advertisement to sell the light novels releases) I was waiting to see what sort of numbers Re:Zero would put up, and if it's barely under SAO, then it should almost certainly get another season. Barring production committee shenanigans.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
The Shinkai domination continues. DAL deserves to be higher.

Shinkai is doing well to be fighting SAO.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

I predict recap movies in late 2017-early 2018. Season 2 summer/fall 2018. That should buy enough time for the novel releases to get ahead enough for another season. (and yes I know it's based on a web novel which is even further ahead, but the anime is an advertisement to sell the light novels releases) I was waiting to see what sort of numbers Re:Zero would put up, and if it's barely under SAO, then it should almost certainly get another season. Barring production committee shenanigans.

Yep it's huge especially if we consider the fact that it's the series with the least amount of time with active advertisement out of all of them. If it had started in Winter just like KonoSuba it would have most likely outsold even that series. Considering that majority of KonoSuba's sales ( 750k ) were made in the first half of 2016 ( November - May ) the 3 month difference becomes even more striking.

Since we get a Re:Zero x KonoSuba crossover novel and manga soon I wonder how much both series will profit from that. Seeing that Kadokawa itself and not MF or one of Kadokawa's sections is the publisher gives me even more signs that they've acknowledged both series as major titles.

In any case looking at the production committee I can't help but see many happy faces. TV Tokyo at the top must be very pleased since the show was an absolute hit for late night anime, they also made/make probably a huge amount of money from the still continuing radio show and the events/merchandize that is hosted by them.

MF and Kadokawa are also high in the rankings which means that these great LN sales have even more of a meaning.

Seeing how there is a buttload of merchandize and collaborations one thing is for sure, it's been a financial success for at least majority of people involved.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
So Kokuhaku Yokō Renshū has movie adaptations - though they're known as Kokuhaku Jikkō Iinkai -, and Okitegami has had the live-action show, but has Regarding Reincarnated to Slime gotten anything of the sort? It's selling really really well for a novel with no tie-in advertisement, from what I can see.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
FWIW that's a year on year decrease of 4.1% (555,844 units) compared to 2015, largely what would have been projected based on the mid-year numbers. However, it's also worth noting that without the runaway success of Shinkai's your Name, this years sales would have been significantly worse (14.7%). The top 5 sellers contributed 41.5% of total sales this year, a slight increase on last year. 7 titles sold under 200k units this year, compared to 0 last year. 14 titles that charted last year also charted this year.

Excluding your Name, Konosuba is the biggest climber this year, reaching number 2 while not charting in 2015. Naruto story series was the biggest dropper, not charting this year despite being No.5 last year. Kadokawa were the big winner's among the publishers this year, having 9 titles in the top 30 this year compared to 4 last year.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the success of Re:Zero means we get a second season eventually. I may actually pick up the light novels (a first for me), but it'll take a while until even they're ahead of where the anime left off (in print form anyway).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1