• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An odd little thing that happens.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
So yeah, not sure who else on this site that experiences this, but each page I visit seems to... I don't know, load thrice or something? Normally, I'd use the "back" button on my browser while visiting the pages on the site, but since a couple of days ago, that seemingly did nothing. As it turned out, it's because of something that has happened before on another page (a FF XIV Wiki I use), and I had it confirmed when I right-clicked the back button to see what was listed.

This happened: http://imgur.com/LzUaZvG

As you can see, anything I click is listed three times. I was wondering why this happens and curious whether this is something the staff wanted to look into. It's probably not an urgent thing. Just an oddity.

Edit: Oh, and I'm using Firefox 50.0.2 on Windows 8, if that helps. I don't have adblock installed, but I do have noscript (which at the moment is only blocking something called "themoneytizer", whatever that is.)

Last edited by Northlander on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I've never had that happen, myself.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
I've been having this same exact issue. Normally I use Chrome when viewing ANN on my computer (Windows 7), but I've been able to replicate this issue on Firefox as well, though there is a slight difference between the two.

Chrome Version 54.0.2840.99 m
Firefox Version 50.0.2
The only extensions that the two share are Ad-Block Plus (which I keep off for ANN for both), WOT/Web of Trust, and Magic Actions for Youtube.

EDIT: I just realized that this is probably happening on my tablet as well. I recently got a Galaxy Tab S2 tablet, and I will look at ANN from the Chrome app on there. I have to click on the previous page button on my tablet multiple times before I can get to a previous page. For a while, I thought that the button just wasn't recognizing the pressure my fingers were applying, but now I realize that it's probably this issue.

CHROME:

So my homepage when I load Chrome is [animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/]. I clicked on the Talkback forum after the page loaded and took a Print Screen of what the history looked like.

Next I clicked on a News item from the forums and then took another Print Screen of what the history looked like.

FIREFOX:

So I loaded [animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/] and then clicked on the Talkback forum again and took a Print Screen of the history.

Next I clicked on The List article from the forums and took another Print Screen of the history.

It looks like some of the additional Talkback forum pages were lost once I clicked on another link. I'm not certain for the differences in Chrome and Firefox. But if I click on the "Go Back One Page" button in either Chrome or Firefox, then I'm having to click back multiple times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it always lists multiple instances of the page you're currently on. Once you click your way to other pages, those get reduced to one.

I've only noticed this before on a FF XIV Wiki I use (as mentioned), but that one either got resolved or went away on its own, because it's not happening there anymore. I haven't seen this problem anywhere else, but then, I don't visit that many webpages, so.....
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the trouble everyone, I fixed the issue but the problematic code might have been cached in your browser for up to 24 hours.

(Did you know that using history.pushState in an iframe changes the history of the top window?
Well, I didn't.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Oh, that must be what caused that annoying thing with an old version of the Funimation site; every time the ads refreshed the browser would make it's "click" sound and it would add to the history.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
For a while, I thought that the button just wasn't recognizing the pressure my fingers were applying, but now I realize that it's probably this issue.

Same here! I thought my mouse was dying. Very Happy After awhile I realized it was only here that it was not responding to my back swipes. Glad it's fixed! Thanks!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
Still seems to be happening to me, and I can't have an old copy cached since I'm in work and when I returned from sick leave yesterday my computer had been replaced (unless there is something cached on a proxy server).

--edit--

Forgot image: https://goo.gl/photos/Xc8gCR8xRxiE4G7S9
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote

He must be a bad apple! All is fine in my case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Was this the thing where the going back to the previous page wouldn't work? I thought that was my browser, but I noticed that it doesn't happen anymore. I was clicking that button so vigorously, I'm surprised I didn't go back in time when it actually worked. It doesn't happen to me anymore.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, judging by what happened, the browser made the previous page the same page from three pages and upwards.

Right now, though, the problem seems to have disappeared, so... something must have happened that resolved the issue.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
For whatever reason this is happening again today. I have a few ANN tabs open right now in Chrome and the intermittent reloading animation on the tabs is getting quite distracting. I actually subscribed to prevent repeatedly having to turn off the Monster Musume skins and I have all ads disabled except buttons, but I'm still getting two boxes below the buttons (although I'm currently using www out of habit rather than fast).

Chrome 55.0.2883.75 m on Ruka.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
For whatever reason this is happening again today. I have a few ANN tabs open right now in Chrome and the intermittent reloading animation on the tabs is getting quite distracting. I actually subscribed to prevent repeatedly having to turn off the Monster Musume skins and I have all ads disabled except buttons, but I'm still getting two boxes below the buttons (although I'm currently using www out of habit rather than fast).

Chrome 55.0.2883.75 m on Ruka.

By "again" you mean the duplicate pages in the back-button history? That definitely shouldn't happen. But the intermittent reloading animation, while annoying, is unavoidable (at least for now). To avoid those two boxes below the buttons you should use the fast server. Why did you turn off the automatic redirect to fast? Although to be fair those ads should be turned off based on subscriber settings and I'll fix that soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
I first noticed the reloading animation, but then when I checked my back button history it was filling up again.
Today, however, it is not happening. Same computer, no changes to it, and it is rebooted daily.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Randomly doing it again today. Left my desk for 15 mins and found two dozen entries added to the back button history.
I'm on www on kurisu-chan in Chrome 55.0.2883.75.

https://goo.gl/photos/t3weVNLoACDGoezw5
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2