• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Mononoke to Screen in U.S. Theaters With 'On Your Mark' Short

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I always thought it was unfair to keep works hostage simply for the creators' shortcomings. Glad they're dismantling that wall...
nagpo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope they rerelease all these with their animated shorts on bluray as well. would love to have the ghibli shorts
Lincolne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Funny they just announced it. I have seen it listed for theaters near me for about a week now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
BTW, it kind of got ignored, but don't forget that Ocean Waves is also finally getting an official theatrical-and eventually home video [?]-release here, too. Cool
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I had zero interest to watch the overrated Spirited Away, but I definitely would like to go to a movie theater to watch Princess Mononoke, which to me is the absolute best Miyazaki movie.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I was sad to have missed the Spirited Away showing as I was working on the day it was in theaters, but I'm definitely off for the first day of this and will be hitting the theaters up with the wife. Definitely cannot wait!

I personally sunk my teeth into this film and Spirited Away as my introductions to Ghibli all those years ago and have gone on to some of their greatest underrated works like Porco Rosso) and Only Yesterday. Simple, yet satisfying movies.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I personally sunk my teeth into this film and Spirited Away as my introductions to Ghibli all those years ago and have gone on to some of their greatest underrated works

Are you suggesting that Spirited Away is an underrated film? How come? It won a freaking Oscar.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I personally sunk my teeth into this film and Spirited Away as my introductions to Ghibli all those years ago and have gone on to some of their greatest underrated works

Are you suggesting that Spirited Away is an underrated film? How come? It won a freaking Oscar.

Pretty sure they were talking about Porco Rosso and Only Yesterday
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I was curious as to whether the "Never-before-seen Ghibli short" was going to be one of the Museum shorts, like "Mei & the Kitten-Bus".

Still as shorts go, they don't get any better than On Your Mark. If they have sentimental non-anime fans going to see the revival screening, nice that they'll be exposed.
(And nice that Ghibli hasn't completely locked it down, like they appeared to be doing after the Chage & Asuka scandal.)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
At the movie theater I work at, the dubbed screening of Spirited Away had 321 people in attendance, and the subbed screening got 108. Both very impressive, and it was amazing seeing the film on the big screen. They're replaying the film on Thurs night. Another local theater played Totoro earlier this Summer, and Kiki last month. Hopefully we'll see more anime on the big screen.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Lincolne wrote:
Funny they just announced it. I have seen it listed for theaters near me for about a week now.

Reminds me of a show at a local play house. Tickets were on sale way before the Youtuber said anything about his local event. I'm also reminded of retailers leaking game releases way before their announcement due to how they catalog things.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Princess Mononoke looked phenomenal when I saw it in a theater back in 1999. You really get a sense of scale, which is lost when viewed on a TV.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:49 am; edited 6 times in total
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
I was just telling my sister that I wanted to re-watch this film as well after seeing Spirited Away with her, it's really too bad that this time it's only during the week, I don't think we can make it with my sister's crappy new job that keeps her at work so late. Crying or Very sad
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Princess Mononoke looked phenomenal when I saw it in a theater back in 1999. You really get a sense of scale, which is lost when viewed on a TV.

I remember we HAD to go to see it in a theater, since Disney wanted to get out of the deal after seeing this movie and was basically blackmailing us ("Okay, if you don't go see this, it proves no American's ever heard of him--Don't say we didn't warn ya!"), and sitting through the movie basically felt like blackmail, to anyone who wasn't already guarding their club-bootleg tapes of Kiki, Totoro and Cagliostro.

To everyone else, this and Spirited Away were the first Miyazakis they'd ever seen in their lives, and knew they were fans, by the time Howl's Moving Castle opened! Laughing
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:

I remember we HAD to go to see it in a theater, since Disney wanted to get out of the deal after seeing this movie and was basically blackmailing us ("Okay, if you don't go see this, it proves no American's ever heard of him--Don't say we didn't warn ya!"), and sitting through the movie basically felt like blackmail, to anyone who wasn't already guarding their club-bootleg tapes of Kiki, Totoro and Cagliostro.

To everyone else, this and Spirited Away were the first Miyazakis they'd ever seen in their lives, and knew they were fans, by the time Howl's Moving Castle opened! Laughing
I recall hearing Disney wanted to release something more like Kiki following its success on home video, but Tokuma insisted they go with Miyazaki's most recent film at the time. I think it was a wise decision Miyazaki followed up with Spirited Away, a movie more in his style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2