• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax Animation Studio Operating Out of 45-Year-Old Condo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Barring any greater influx of money, can't really see any future if they lose the lawsuit. On top of what Khara is demanding, the legal costs themselves must be considerable, and that wouldn't leave much if anything...

(Tomato farming? Well, on the other hand, considering the prices on fruits and vegetables in Japan perhaps not such a bad idea...)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, Gainax is suffering perhaps more than they should be. If I remember reading correctly, they no longer have the rights to any of the Eva anime titles. So, the chances of them having a new hit is seemingly next to impossible.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
How the mighty have fallen, eh?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Really doesn't look good for Gainax. I'm worried about Aoki Uru, it seems unlikely they are able to do it with their current staff, let alone funds. It would be a shame to see it canceled after such a troubled production, though.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Seriously, Gainax is suffering perhaps more than they should be. If I remember reading correctly, they no longer have the rights to any of the Eva anime titles. So, the chances of them having a new hit is seemingly next to impossible.

Quite possibly why they are teasing a new Panty & Stocking project. It might be one of the few titles they own the rights to that has name recognition, so possibly a last ditch effort to save the company.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
This is quite a stretch but they could opt to do an anime version with some of the many public domain (that phrase doesn't quite go with most anime nowadays) 40s American super heroes. They would have to comply with their copyright laws concerning foreign works though.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
So where are we at now?

*Anno left for Khara

*Akai was forced into resignation

*Imaishi, Yoshinari, and pretty much everyone else left for Trigger

*Khara's suing them, so no more Eva money

*Offices downsized

...This just keeps getting worse and worse. Gainax will always be special to me, but it's just time to hang it up, and leave the industry with what dignity they have left.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Man, as a 20 year anime fan, and a Gainax fan for almost as long, this is extremely saddening.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
They better be looking for their next hit quick!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:
They better be looking for their next hit quick!

It's speculation on my part, but I wonder if the upcoming announcement regarding Panty and Stocking has something to do with this. Like many others, I found the prospect of a second season odd since the end of the first it was designed to make fun of anime non-endings. A second season at least comes with name recognition, and Gainax is probably hard up for anything that could make money right now.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
It's not like they need much space. At this point all they need is a PC, phone, filing cabinet & pot plant. Everything else is outsourced or handled by a subsidiary.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The Panty & Stocking announcement wasn't made by Gainax though, it was made by Gainax West.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It seems there were quite a bit of untold story with why Anno had parted ways (felt like a John Lennon leaving Beatles moment for Gainax but with a much slower death and decline). I guess this year was quite a shocker for Anno himself, just thinking himself having a biggest breakout since Eva with Godzilla, Anno got upstaged by Shinkai who is more than 10 years junior and, like Anno himself and many Gainax original staff, idolised the legendary Miyazaki.

I guess that is life to whoever left in Gainax and to Anno. It is kind of sad in many ways - both in decline in Gainax and former members suing each other for money.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
It's not like they need much space. At this point all they need is a PC, phone, filing cabinet & pot plant. Everything else is outsourced or handled by a subsidiary.
Yes if they were just publishing, but to make a show, they need; desks for the animators, computers for for painting, computers for composting, computers for audio mixing and other stuff depending on is and is not outsourced. Typical in-betweening, 3DCG and backgrounds are outsrouced.

I'm even more worried about Uru in Blue, it could just be that it is in pre-production and they are preparing to go into full production soon and get the budget. But it doesn't look like that will happen at the moment. I suppose it could also move to a different studio like Genocidal Organ did, but that would look even worse for Gainax.
What happened between Gurren Lagann being a huge hit and now?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Really doesn't look good for Gainax. I'm worried about Aoki Uru, it seems unlikely they are able to do it with their current staff, let alone funds. It would be a shame to see it canceled after such a troubled production, though.

Even if they are able to do it, it's not 1986 anymore. You don't have that young naive dedicated staff that churned out a masterpiece from nothing. I would only hope it doesn't wind up too awful visually if they did manage to commit, but I would bet against it actually going into production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2