• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super to Premiere on Toonami in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Upon reading the IGN article it seems that the show will actually premiere on Adult Swim in its earliest Saturday timeslot of 8 PM Eastern. The 11:30 Toonami broadcast is an encore showing.

Which is pretty funny because dubbed Super on AS will be sorta competing with subbed Super on Crunchyroll & Daisuki since those episodes are posted at 8:15. That 11:30 Toonami slot will be welcome for those who's watching Super subbed who also look forward to the dub.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Gonna be fun to return to Dragon Ball after so long. ( I never botherd with Kai... Is it even worth it???) The 2 movies made me wish for more so i cant wait!

And since im from Europe I've to use not so legal way to watch it. Got to love anime license BS restrictions...

The first two arcs are just a retelling of the movies. Everything after that is new material.
O-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
emory wrote:
Upon reading the IGN article it seems that the show will actually premiere on Adult Swim in its earliest Saturday timeslot of 8 PM Eastern. The 11:30 Toonami broadcast is an encore showing.

Which is pretty funny because dubbed Super on AS will be sorta competing with subbed Super on Crunchyroll & Daisuki since those episodes are posted at 8:15. That 11:30 Toonami slot will be welcome for those who's watching Super subbed who also look forward to the dub.

Not really. Streaming has different viewing habits that TV premieres. When something comes out on Crunchyroll I don't watch it ASAP but with Toonami I tend to either watch the premiere or DVR it. Plus there's a distinct advantage a dub premiere has as it brings in larger viewing numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Running it at 8 was likely some kind of compromise with Toei wanting it on a kids' network.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
huzaifa_ahmed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
emory wrote:

Not really. Streaming has different viewing habits that TV premieres. When something comes out on Crunchyroll I don't watch it ASAP but with Toonami I tend to either watch the premiere or DVR it. Plus there's a distinct advantage a dub premiere has as it brings in larger viewing numbers.

I dunno, from reddit/anime, CrunchyRoll, & YouTube comments it definitely feels as if subs are preferred. There are far more people watching Durarara in Japanese on CR, then fans watching the dub (which is incredibly solid & definitely worth watching tbh).

With the anime fandom as niche as it is, subs seem to reign supreme, in my experience.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Believe me, while I'm tickled that so many people are giving the Japanese version on Crunchyroll (and to a lesser extent, Daisuki) a watch, to thousands of fans in NA, the English dub is the main (and for some, the only) product, when it comes to DB. There are plenty that utterly refused to give this a chance until it was dubbed by Funimation. Although I can't imagine many of those people being into some of the sillier parts. Many people are already complaining "they made Goku too stupid" in Super, when that's basically how he's always been (in Japanese, at least).

I'm not going to bitch too much. At least some people were won over to enjoying the Japanese version, and the English version will probably be fine. So it's all good, as long as Funimation stays on the path they've been on. I'm likely to buy some of Super if just to reward their efforts (well, it helps that I like it).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
A whole hour of Dragon Ball...well that's sure to kill off some brain cells.

It's better than having a whole hour of Ghost In The Shell Wink

Xavon wrote:
Hope no-one is watching DB on Toonami for the first time.

If so why would that be an issue especially as it's an incredibly old anime?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth, upon seeing the many other rants/points you have made about various dubs on this forum, I'd say your 12/8@7:11 post is the least inflammatory and most rational.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
I hope the "Dragon Ball" fans will forgive me but I'm not as eager for "Dragon Ball Super" as a lot of other people here are. It's not that's it's a bad show,it's just I've never really gotten into it,that's all. I might not be up for it as others are,you understand,don't you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2