• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Pokémon I Choose You! Film Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Oh dear. I didn't like Pokemon's 20th Anniversary. It was clear time after time that most of the TCG/merchandise (and elements of the game) were targeted at people who don't even play anymore, which is insulting to their loyal fanbase. This sounds like an opportunity to somehow make 2017 similar to this, so I'm hoping that's not the case, because if you didn't like the first generation in 2016, you'd be crap out of luck.

What are you referring to specifically? I assume you mean the American side, since that nostalgia has been common for years now with targetting the people who don't play or watch Pokemon anymore, especially the Go craze. In Japan I haven't noticed anything like that, though. This retelling movie is pretty much the only nostalgia-pandering Japan has done. It might be overdone in the west, but definately not Japan.

-Stuart Smith
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it'll be better than the last few movies.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the sentiment of getting Veronica Taylor to come back for this. I'm interested in this too
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
1. The dub has always been devoid of emotion,

No it hasn't.

Lord Oink wrote:
let's not act like 4Kids was a better company.

They were....eventhough they had to americanize (and dumb things down).
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
@Stuart Smith

It wouldn't surprise me if Japan centered the anniversary celebrations around ALL generations, which was the intent from the start. The west is left in the hands of The Pokemon Company International however, who have cut corners in recent years. From exclusive 20th Anniversary 3DS consoles, virtual console editions of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, two TCG sets (Generations and Evolutions) whose sole purpose is banking on nostalgia, the amass of half-assed products that were clearly churned out last-minute as a result of GO's success... (This being just one of many examples: http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/09/legendary-battle-deck-product-images) Not mentioning the inescapable buzz about Pokemon GO from people who will forget about it a month later. But hey, I did save a chunk of money this year, so there's that.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
So many possibilities. Is it a movie length 1st episode retelling? Is it a retelling of the important events of season 1? Is it something entirely new like an untold adventure classic Ash had like maybe in-between leagues? Old VAs? Classic characters like Gary Freakin' Oak returning (Which an older Blue in Sun/Moon might even get him in the Alola series too while we're at it)? Might this be the movie to bring the numbers back to the highs these movies used to get and if so, will the movies just be retellings from then on (Or heck, even a remake of the first movie with this animation)?

Very excited for this movie.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if Japan centered the anniversary celebrations around ALL generations, which was the intent from the start. The west is left in the hands of The Pokemon Company International however, who have cut corners in recent years. From exclusive 20th Anniversary 3DS consoles, virtual console editions of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow...

I found the Pokémon 20 3DS bundles to be disappointingly lukewarm compared to the color-commemorated 2DS bundles (which also included the Yellow Version) Japan and Europe got. The Pokémon Company's mediocre Super Bowl commercial, while it touched the hearts of those that solely favored Gen I so dearly, put many other dedicated fans to sleep.
msvitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
I just wanna see a new main character.
im so done with ash.
I dont care if its a series spin off just get me someone who's at least a high schooler or an adult as an MC
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
I was born in April 1993, now I feel old anyone else dose as well ? ( 23)
pauladls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
msvitch wrote:
I just wanna see a new main character.
im so done with ash.
I dont care if its a series spin off just get me someone who's at least a high schooler or an adult as an MC

New main characters are failure, this is nostalgia
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
And to be fair, its not just Pokemon doing this, anime in general's cashing in on the big anniversaries of the bigger names with new movies/shows like Digimon, the original Yu-GI-Oh!, that Sailor Moon Crystal series, that new Cardcaptor Sakura manga which will be adapted into anime, I'm sure that 4th Eva movie will hurry the heck up to cash in on this nostalgia craze.

Boy, the 30th anniversaries are gonna be reaaaaaal interesting next decade. Anime hyper
megazero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The Ash here seems to be like the "old" Ash, judging by the hair.
Good thing they did not forget that aspect, though his cap looked a bit different.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Well,well. Looks like we have an Ash lookalike in what looks like a new version of "Pokemon." It looks extremely cute and I hope that it comes here. I'd like that a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3