• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya: Saintia Shō Spinoff Manga Gets Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Yay, glad to see more Saint Seiya, I hope is not as rushed-pace as Soul of Gold.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Before I say how I feel about this, a quick correction:
Quote:
The manga is set immediately after the main storyline from Masami Kurumada's classic manga Saint Seiya.

Not quite. Saintia Sho is technically a midquel, taking place during the main story of Saint Seiya. In particular, it starts after the Sanctuary Chapter but happens before the Poseidon Chapter begins, at least from the little I know of this series.

Anyway, I'm all for this anime announcement. I've been meaning to finally read Saintia Sho, as it recently got scanlated all the way to more or less where it's at in Japan currently, but I'll just watch the anime version, instead. Regardless, I've generally heard nothing but praise for Saintia Sho so far (& no indication that it drops the ball yet, as Lost Canvas eventually did to some extent), so I'm all for this.

There is word that Toei will be doing three Seiya projects next year across different styles (live-action, CG, & ONA), so I'm hoping Saintia Sho will be the ONA. Granted, I'd personally want something to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Ring ni Kakero next year, but since that's obviously not going to happen I'll gladly take a Saintia Sho adaptation as part of the belated 30th Anniversay of Saint Seiya.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Wish I could be excited for a new Seiya anime but Soul of Gold was actually so ridiculously low budget that it killed the series for me and I was unable to finish and would rather have nothing than another one in that style where every fight is just a bunch of straight lines flashing on the screen
valoon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I knew this would happen someday. What I've read so far from Saintia Shou was quite nice, hyped for the anime as always. Hope they do chikyuugi remastered as opening
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Huh, magical girl Seiya main character. Call me interested.

I wonder if the Saintia will be integrated into the main canon in the future.
ew121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Is there a reason she is not a saint? Does the series explain why they are called saintia? I assume that is one reason she does not wear a mask?

Honestly first of all because she's kind of a self insert for girls. Remember the loli character that followed the GS in Lost Canvas Gaiden? that the author said was supposed to be a self insert? well.

But the Saintias are indeed explained, they're not that relevant anyways.
ew121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Before I say how I feel about this, a quick correction:
Quote:
The manga is set immediately after the main storyline from Masami Kurumada's classic manga Saint Seiya.

Not quite. Saintia Sho is technically a midquel, taking place during the main story of Saint Seiya. In particular, it starts after the Sanctuary Chapter but happens before the Poseidon Chapter begins, at least from the little I know of this series.

You're actually wrong, the series starts a tad before the Galactic Tournament. It's very fanfic-y though and the main character is kind of a self insert, after she meets Seiya and he shares about his sister with Shoko, encourages her and basically inspires her with his burning will you know the "MOERO! ORE NO COSMO YO!", it's kinda... forced, not far fetched but then she also had her life saved by Milo as a kid who is a favorite of fangirls. She also never really trained to be a Saintia, remember that the main characters all trained like 7 years to get their cloths going through torture basically, Shoko is a schoolgirl
ew121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Huh, magical girl Seiya main character. Call me interested.

I wonder if the Saintia will be integrated into the main canon in the future.

None of the spin-offs so far are canon so I doubt it.

Also ANN should really correct their article, Saintia Sho starts around the same time or probably a bit before the beginning of the original manga
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised. Hope it's better than Soul of Gold, which I am finally getting around to watching, and it's just dull as dishwater.

Maybe this might do well to be released in the states, since it's a different format than the OG series and Lost Canvas, both of which apparently sold VERY poorly when recently released here in the USA.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Maybe this might do well to be released in the states, since it's a different format than the OG series and Lost Canvas, both of which apparently sold VERY poorly when recently released here in the USA.

Don't count on it, especially if it's one of the two mentioned Toei projects.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Toei Animation president Kozo Morishita recently said there are 3 Saint Seiya projects in development, but only one of them will be done in traditional hand-drawn animation. I guess Saintia Sho is that one, but I was hoping another studio would take a crack at it. Then again, TMS's high-quality animation couldn't keep the Lost Canvas OVA from being a flop that had pretty much zero effect on the manga's sales, and Soul of Gold actually outsold it by a significant margin despite its lackluster production values.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
ew121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Toei animation president Kozo Morishita recent said there are 3 Saint Seiya projects in development, but only one of them will be done in traditional 2D animation. I guess Saintia Sho is that one, but I was hoping another studio would take a crack at it. Then again, TMS's high-quality animation couldn't keep the Lost Canvas OVA from being a flop that had pretty much zero effect on the manga's sales, and Soul of Gold actually outsold it despite its mostly lackluster production values.

To be fair SoG BD's looked like a completely different anime. But Blu Rays are completely irrelevant for the Saint Seiya franchise anyways

SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Toei Animation president Kozo Morishita recent said there are 3 Saint Seiya projects in development, but only one of them will be done in traditional hand-drawn animation. I guess Saintia Sho is that one, but I was hoping another studio would take a crack at it. Then again, TMS's high-quality animation couldn't keep the Lost Canvas OVA from being a flop that had pretty much zero effect on the manga's sales, and Soul of Gold actually outsold it by a signifcant margin despite its lackluster production values.

I get this but how was the story in Soul of gold? Mediocre, or slightly good?[/b]
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
I get this but how was the story in Soul of gold? Mediocre, or slightly good?[/b]

I found it mediocre. Unlike the original Asgard arc, there was no room to develop the God Warriors as characters, and the fights were written with little creativity. Also, the story's chronological placement between the Gold Saints' sacrifice and the Bronze Saints' fight against Thanatos makes no sense considering how much time elapses throughout the series.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yeah! I've been reading the scanlations of Saintia Sho, and I'm pretty excited for this. It's a good/basic story with some fairly interesting characters (the Saintias are pretty interesting, in fact the manga's currently covering the backstory of one of them). Sho herself can definitely be seen as a self-insert of sorts by some, but she's not over-powered. She's the opposite, really.

The timeline of this series flows right alongside the traditional Saint Seiya timeline; it flows really well, in my opinion. It handles it's plot alongside the regular story in a really cool way to me.

I really hope this won't get messy. I haven't watched Soul of Gold or Lost Canvas yet, but I know fairly well Soul of Gold was not too pretty. The art of the manga is beautiful; I hope it doesn't turn out bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2