• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, classicalzawa. In our defence, you must remember that the ball is usually in your court when it comes to exclusive releases.

It must be professed that I take little general interest in Tezuka's works. I fathom that Metropolis is of Rintaro's doing more than anyone else's, so I've little direct impetus to pursue any manga. (That said, I went to a tiny Black Jack exhibit hidden away in a surgical museum once. It was underwhelming, but the scores of surrounding medical curiosities compensated.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki
This is true, we usually get the exclusives. Yet somehow, the UK has an English dub for Millennium Actress that never came over here. At least we got those lovely expletive laden UK OVA dubs of the 90s over here, like Violence Jack and stuff.

I will admit, the Metropolis movie is nothing like the manga in the slightest. Like, I think Kenichi and Duke Red are in both, and that's about it? Not even the main robot girl is the same girl. The characters, plot, nothing is similar between them, so yes, the movie is most likely more Rintaro. The movie really liked taking a lot of Tezuka characters from other works to put into it. Some were Star System characters who show up all over the place anyway (like Lamp), but it stole a good number from all over the place. Atlas came from Astro Boy (except they completely reversed him, instead of being a robot very into "robots first", he's now a human very into the "humans first" thing), Pero is from Astro Boy as well. Rock is from a bunch of works, they clearly picked Rock during his more evil phase (believe it or not, his original character was basically meant to be another Kenichi before he becomes a well intentioned extremist, then he goes through the redemption phase in later works like Buddha), but definitely not Rock at his most evil either. Fifi actually is from the Metropolis manga and is the most alike between the manga and anime.

I would still recommend playing the Omega Factor GBA game though. It was made by Treasure, who actually makes good games, and this is a good game with lots of Tezuka lore thrown in for even more fun! Getting to the true ending though will definitely require a guide to avoid frustration (it wants you to keep meeting NPCs in a certain order and stuff, guessing what to do is very annoying), but you get to fight more epic bosses on the way to the true ending, so it's well worth it!

Also, do keep in mind that Black Jack once operated on his own intestines to remove a deadly parasite in the middle of the Australian outback while surrounded by rabid dingoes. Yeah, I'd take any realism from Black Jack with a grain of salt too, lol
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Also, do keep in mind that Black Jack once operated on his own intestines to remove a deadly parasite in the middle of the Australian outback while surrounded by rabid dingoes.

Now that's a REAL doctor for ya!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I will admit, the Metropolis movie is nothing like the manga in the slightest. Like, I think Kenichi and Duke Red are in both, and that's about it? Not even the main robot girl is the same girl. The characters, plot, nothing is similar between them, so yes, the movie is most likely more Rintaro.

That is certainly true. I would imagine there were two purposes to including Tezuka's name in the product description: recognition firstly—not that this film was ever unpopular amongst local anime fans—and disambiguation secondly. General audiences would be forgiven for mistakenly expecting an adaptation of Lang, something it would be best to forestall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Now that the new year is almost upon us, it is time to gravely consider The Most Important Issue of Our Epoch: determining spending priorities for 2017 (screw trivialities like trying to eradicate poverty or create world peace).

I, as I have for the last few years, will remain an Opportunity Attacker; coiled like a big, sexy cobra ready to sink my venomous fangs into any tasty bargain that foolishly enters my strike zone. It always seems like my list of OOP targets is shrinking and that there will be nothing left that I a) want and (more importantly) b) can afford. Yet, something I would never have thought of seems to crop up like my recent purchase of Lupin the 3rd, Part 2 volumes 1-14 which wasn't on my radar but just popped up out of the blue.

I ended up getting back into manga in a larger than normal way for me in 2016, but I don't see that happening in 2017.

There are some specific anime releases that I have my eye on. I now get all my AoA titles through the UK and I'm sort of anxious to get the PMMM! movies. I thought I'd just watch them on Netflix and not bother with physical copies, but when I started to watch the first movie I was getting right into it and decided I needed to own them after all. The UK Kill la Kill! collector's sets are also prominent on my list, too.

I'm still wrestling with the debate over getting LE versions of certain titles like Akame ga Kill!, Parasyte, Beyond the Boundary, etc or getting the regular versions. Especially when a title is split into two parts, it is really tempting not only to get the regular versions, but to wait until the regular versions are put out as a single collection, which makes it even cheaper.

Other than that, I will continue to scour sites like craigslist to see if I can get some bargains on more recently released stuff that I really want, which sometimes happens (blu-rays for Flowers of Evil and the two Penguindrum sets being a recent example) . I will try to stick to a $1,200-$1,500 annual budget, but I'm not pedantic about adhering to that if something comes up that I need to buy right away or forever hold my peace.

Something I will do as soon as I'm back in Toronto is go to Ikea and pick up about 8 Billy book cases as well as some glass cabinets to display figures. I am dying to finally be able to properly display my anime, manga and figures.

Just checked the Anime North website - the bastiges have discontinued the early bird discount for weekend passes! Grrr, grrr, that's an extra 10 bucks.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
As I've wrapped up the mammoth that was Urusei Yatsura over a week and a half ago, I'm looking into some more fairly long titles to sink my teeth into without breaking the bank as the mentioned franchise did. This being said, here's what I'm potentially eyeing once I ensure my shipment of the complete franchise from my latest sale goes off without a hitch:

Fist of the North Star (complete series set, DD, and movie. Already own the Legend of the Dark King series)
Naruto (original 220-episode TV anime, plus the three movies and OVA)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
What with a Discotek sale, now seems a good time to ask about Lupin movies and specials. I did find an article on here, which pointed me to some good ones, but let's say I were to only get one or two, which one or two would be the best to get? My previous experience with Lupin was that I thought series 1 was "meh" but I definitely enjoyed what I saw of series 2 when it aired on adult swim (I've already picked up the first set of that, naturally). So I've narrowed it down to the following, based on the article:
-Mystery of Mamo
-Episode 0
-Voyage to Danger
-Island of Assassins
-Alcatraz Connection

I should mention, bonus points if Tony Oliver is the Lupin in that dub (he's my only Lupin, lol), though I know that Discotek tends to include multiple dubs if they exist (I think their Mamo release has 4 dubs on it! How does something even get dubbed that many times?)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
So how are Cybersix and Actually I am...? Anyone see them?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Actually I am . . . and liked it a great deal. You have to like absurd comedy though. Think of it a cross between Japanese high school slice of life and Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein. It is still on Crunchyroll to try if you have access to that.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
Martian Successor Nadesico blu ray is on sale today for the RS birthday. I already have the DVD set (and I really do adore the show), but is the upgrade to blu ray worth it? I can't really find any good comparison shots or videos to tell.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not a big one for upgrading to Blu-ray, but I have to admit I'll probably do just that for Vision of Escaflowne. The background art is so sumptuous that it would be a pity not to have it in the most pristine form available. Plus, there is a new dub. Not that I was particularly unhappy with the old one with one exception (really couldn't stand the VA performance for Dilandau. Wasn't even really the VA's fault, it's just that his voice wasn't right for that role.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
So I'm about to put in a large order on Rightstuf, upgrading a lot of things to blu ray with this birthday sale they have going on and buying some new stuff. They have the entirety of Hidamari Sketch at a really low price, but I've heard iffy things about Sentai's blu-ray quality relating to subtitle accuracy and video quality.

So I was wondering if anyone here has purchased Sentai's Hidamari releases on blu ray and can tell me about the video/subtitle quality.

I know the ANN review of the first DVD set points out some typos in the subtitles - I'm more concerned with translation accuracy generally across the sets unless the typos get more frequent later.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The main problem with Sentai's Hidamari Sketch releases I know of is that some episodes are the TV broadcast version, rather than the home video version. And with SHAFT involved, you know there are going to be lots of changes.

Maybe that was fixed on Sentai's Blu-Rays, maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that is a big problem. Well I'll definitely hold off then until I can find some kind of confirmation either way. Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if that was just a problem in the releases for particular seasons, or throughout all of them?
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
I would definitely consider buying the new Hana Yori Dango that Rightstuf have on sale today, if I knew that the quality was better than the old release. It's one of my favourite shows, but I need a reason to double dip, and I haven't come across that reason so far.

On subject of Hidamari Sketch, I wish Sentai would go back and bring out one of their new deluxe box sets of the whole thing. Can we imagine that happening?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 128 of 132