• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: All Out!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this part was one of the coolest, it grounds Gion so well as a character (maybe not as a protagonist exactly, but it's an improvement nonetheless). I was legitimately surprised that Gion (and one of his brothers) watches Mahou Shoujo anime, really neat detail. I'm in the dark as everybody else by this point, but so far I'm pretty invested in most of the characters to see a good full match, not just snippets of Jinko losing by a wide margin.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Valhern wrote:
As I'm able to read more of the manga, more trivia about Sekizan's hair comes up: not only did he dye some flocks, he did it so because he thought it would be very intimidating, and he also curls them up every morning, although he does it with quite the ease.

See, I just have a hard time picturing that. Hopefully, they'll animate him curling his hair. Laughing Are these finger curls, obedient to his indomitable will, or does he use a curling iron[/size]

Well, it was only mentioned in a Q&A with the author, not shown. But the anime did add scenes like Sekizan making the pose of a literal princess and some other stuff, so I don't see it impossible.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
Anne wrote:
Quote:
...Japan's number one high-school flanker is too far advanced to recognize his older self in Gion.

I think it was more likely a case of not wanting to recognize his past self in him (or to be reminded of his past at all). Which is odd because he looked really adorable as an otaku... Very Happy

I'm also pretty impressed with Gion's development. I was close to write him off as yet another of those bratty sports anime protagonists, i've always disliked. To see him grow so much, not just as a rugby player but as a human being, made me like this show a lot better.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Anne wrote:
Quote:
...Japan's number one high-school flanker is too far advanced to recognize his older self in Gion.

I think it was more likely a case of not wanting to recognize his past self in him (or to be reminded of his past at all). Which is odd because he looked really adorable as an otaku... Very Happy

I'm not sure about that, at least as far as his otaku roots are concerned (the puking might be a different case). He looked pretty comfortable geeking out in front of the Jinko boys (not just Gion). I liked that a lot - despite being popular and good at something "cool" now, he hasn't forgotten his geekier side, nor does he try to hide the fact he's still in love with magical girls. I'd be interested to know if he's equally relaxed around his own team mates.

And yes, he was super adorable.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Merida wrote:
Anne wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure about that, at least as far as his otaku roots are concerned (the puking might be a different case). He looked pretty comfortable geeking out in front of the Jinko boys (not just Gion). I liked that a lot - despite being popular and good at something "cool" now, he hasn't forgotten his geekier side, nor does he try to hide the fact he's still in love with magical girls. I'd be interested to know if he's equally relaxed around his own team mates.

And yes, he was super adorable.

I completely agree, actually. I should have worded that a bit better, as in "he didn't want to be reminded of his weak and unskilled former self" for example...and it's definitely nice to see that he's still an unapologetic nerd. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

It's weird to hear people calling Gion Kenji. Smile

That was fun. I think one of the things that sets this series apart in its genre is that while the players are all competitive, they just flat-out love the game, and want everyone to love playing it, even their opponents. Now and then you get someone asking "Do you even like playing ____?" and the question gets some thoughtful answers sometimes, but I don't think I've felt this much sheer joy of the sport from the players in any other sports anime I've seen. Chihayafuru sort of had this, but really only Chihaya truly bled karuta, and even that seemed more like obsession than euphoria. Even when All Out!!'s boys lose, they seem to be happy just to have played, and are simply more determined to play better next time.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Two hours a day (7 days a week!) is crazy training for a high school rugby team.

My Brother played for a professional side youth team from 11-16 (and then for his University teams) and they only had a single 3 hour weekly training session. I played for my University team and we just had two 2 hour weekly sessions.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Loved the flashback this week, and Hachiouji's love letter stunt was hilarious and poignant at the same time. I'm just a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see the origin of Sekizan's hair-don't.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Watching the old guys bond with Komori being so different from his usual "scary" self (who would have thought he actually kept a blog? Laughing ) while their excited middle-aged kouhai tried so hard to please them, was probably the cutest thing i've watched all week.

And i really wanted to give Sekizan a hug.. Sad He may be a huge, intimidating guy with bulging muscles and a very strange haircut, but inside he's still just a kid.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
That Sekizan/Keta scene was some powerful stuff. I never thought I'd get so emotional over a player whose name I didn't even remember before this episode.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked this series but I didn't feel like there was much to talk about and if my weekly post in the comment forum on of a series is essentially going to be like the "this week's episode of Kujibiki Unbalance was really good meeting" bit from Genshiken. Posting something just seems superfluous, that being said I thought the last three episodes had really strong character writing and I will keep watching it.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I am still pissed off that this show won't get weekly reviews anymore while other crap does , but i'm definitely gonna keep watching and probably posting here (is there even a thread in the "Anime" forum?).

Thanks for the good work, Anne! Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
When Ise rushed Hachiōji out the door, I was expecting something terrible to happen. I'm glad things turned out differently from what it seemed like they were leading to. I'm a little more sympathetic to Haruki though, if the training camp really costs a grand to attend.

There is a discussion thread, but it died after Episode 7. Time to revive it I guess.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm a little more sympathetic to Haruki though, if the training camp really costs a grand to attend.

Yeah, especially since they basically seem to live on instant ramen...

Quote:
There is a discussion thread, but it died after Episode 7. Time to revive it I guess.

Wouldn't if make more sense to continue posting in this one? It has four pages of comments after all, so it seems to be a bit of a waste to just abandon it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
I've posted in both, so either is fine with me. I'll go wherever people are talking. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Since no one seems to be talking in either thread, I guess I'll put this here.

Episode 21

That was fun. As usual, Coach is awesome, nipping their egos in the bud with a dose of reality while not killing their fun or making them feel awful. It was also a lot of fun to see him kicking the balls and then complaining about his hips. I even enjoyed the silly tackling competition. Even the animation in this seemed pretty nice, what there was of it.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5