• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
The detailing is outrageous and totally worth every penny.

That's the one. I still can't imagine how they accomplished that patterning on his robe. It looks 3D and not just a line of paint, and doing it by hand seems impossible to get the lines as straight as they are (except where they need to curve over folds). It's a marvel.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
In case you were wondering (and I know you were), her panties are pure white, just like her soul.

Hey! I'm not that pervy! Laughing ...

*mumbles to himself* White, huh? White is ok.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any advice for avoiding bootlegs on Amazon? Even stuff that ships from Amazon has proved to be bootlegs, so I'm really wary of them. Do you judge by price (everything I've looked at so far seems to run $20-$50 cheaper than on other sites)? If you buy through one of their third-party vendors and get burned, are you likely to get a refund?

I know Vaisaga has mentioned buying through them before, but being new to the game (as in, not having begun to play), I doubt my bootleg-spotting prowess.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Spotting bootlegs on ebay is easy (avoid unreasonably low prices and anything that ships from China), but Amazon I'm not so sure about. Looking at seller ratings and reviews is a good place to start. And if you do end up getting a bootleg item you can file a claim and get a refund. "Item isn't as advertised" is a legit reason for it. This was some many years ago, but I ordered a DVD whose product page said it was region one but the disc I got was region 2. I got a full refund (and even kept the disc since I live outside the US and thus had no obligation to send it back).

I'd still suggest using a dedicated figure site like Amiami or HLJ if that's an option.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! I've been looking at MFC a bit too, and that's helpful in at least showing what the known boots look like. I just have trouble navigating that site, it's so packed and I'm an idot! Very Happy
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
Some new additions to the horde...... I've become a huge fan of rubber straps (I currently have 5 attached to my cellphone alone), so when I saw the JJBA:DiU ones, I had to jump on them.

I didn't take photos (I should because they are all pretty cool) but I've also acquired 5 out of 7 Megahouse Kuroko no Basuke figures; just missing Kise and Akashi.

Also to note, I have begun displaying a few figures on top of my larger size manga piles in my library room (all the way in the back). I spent my vacation between Christmas and New years in that room organizing and added things to bins. The messy pile in front is really the ONLY thing I didn't get through and the largish boxes just behind that are full of figures that did not yet make it to the storage unit. I'm thinking about getting some detolfs and putting them there in front of the window instead, but then I wouldn't be able to stack large size books there that do not fit on shelves... stacked books or a dedicated space for some figures?? Decisions.... decisions.... (Also to note. I have not been able to see that carpet since we moved in the end of August 2015)

CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around opening my Shizuo figma

Honestly underwhelming, especially for the price, and very difficult to handle, many joints were tight as f*ck

He does look rather cool in the action poses, so it's not a complete disappointment, but definitely cost more than he's worth, imho
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finally caved and picked up Mikazuki Munechika and Kashu Kyomitsu from Touken Ranbu.

Since their photography is better than mine, I'm just linking their pages. The only difference I note is that instead of clear plastic bases, they have lovely black plastic with their characteristic designs in gold on them. They're both quite lovely (Munechika had about 12 different pieces of protective plastic film slipped into every nook and cranny), although Kashu's sword doesn't quite snap into place as easily as it should. I'm afraid I'll break him if I apply any more pressure.

A week after I ordered, their prices both dipped a couple hundred yen lower than what I paid, but they're now a bit higher, so I think I got a good deal. Now I just need to wait for Yamatonokami Yasusada to drop off, and I'll be done. (ha ha)

No really, I can't become a collector. As it is, I'm going to have to store these guys in a cooler in the basement during the summer or they'll melt, and I don't have enough coolers to store a whole troop. Very Happy I suspect my resolution may be tested when Yuuri figures hit the market... Fortunately those will probably sell out before I even know they're for sale. (Edit: looks like Nendroid Yuuri is already up)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Indeed Yuuri nendoroid went up for pre-order last night. Insta-buy for me, it's the cutest Nendo I've seen (and I say that while profoundly loving my Haikyuu boys) and the price is pretty good considering the alternative hair piece

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm dying to know what's on the other side of that phone. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm dying to know what's on the other side of that phone. Laughing

Judging by Yuuri's blush, maybe something like this? Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Here's my loot from Anime North:

Actually my 2nd time going. First was waaaay back in high school. I'll post pics of individual figures later.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice haul, Vaisaga. This was the first year since 2010 that I haven't attended Anime North. Any good cosplayer pix?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not the picture taking sort. Did see a lot of nice stuff, though in particular I was on the look out for any Alishas. Saw 2 Roses and 2 Mikleos but the only Alisha I saw was, and I'm sorry there's no nice way to put this, on the big side.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Nice little haul you got there, Vaisaga!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 107 of 111