• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Makoto Shinkai [2016-12-20]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler warning maybe?
And this interview was kinda annoying, some questions make a lot of assumptions and Shinkai just outright doesn't answer the point of others.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Cool -- an interesting interview.
This image link is dead.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Shinkai is such a chill and honest guy, I can really respect that. He seems like he just wants to make the kind of movies he'd like to watch and thinks other would, not pander to any sort of arbitrary audience. Also, the fact that he really liked A Silent Voice raises my hype for that film even higher. Man, it really sucks having to wait for these films to come out in the US. Mad There have been a few times where I've come really close to just watching them both online in crappy quality, but I'm holding out just in case I can see either of them in theaters.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I am now hyped to watch a silent voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I personally feel the movie is what it is, and I don't intend to redo it in any medium as of right now.

Good choice. Given the bad history of anime get live-adaptations, wait a few years. The only real box-office hits for such adaptations here have been "Transformers" (even if it was aimed for an American audience, I still consider it anime).
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for providing the details about the interview.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed reading the interview, thanks ANN Very Happy The bird thing also one of the things that quickly came to mind after watching the movie, glad the interviewer asked it. I can understand the vibrant and comical scenes of the early part because it was an almost 2 hours movie, but I'm still curious about the spoiler[ultra happy ending] that feel so different than his other movies.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Ok so the rude and off topic insults can stop please. The post in question has been removed, and the responses to it since they make no sense with the original post removed. So let's all stay civil. Thanks.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Quote:
I personally feel the movie is what it is, and I don't intend to redo it in any medium as of right now.

Good choice. Given the bad history of anime get live-adaptations, wait a few years. The only real box-office hits for such adaptations here have been "Transformers" (even if it was aimed for an American audience, I still consider it anime).

There are many good live action adaptations of anime/manga. For instance, Gantz and Oldboy (that's originally a manga actually). Although you are right there are no good Western adaptations of manga/anime but that's because western filmmakers lack the cultural background to do a good adaptation in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fate_Tsukihime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
And this interview was kinda annoying, some questions make a lot of assumptions and Shinkai just outright doesn't answer the point of others.

I agreed. The interviewer kinda put too much his fanboyism into his questions as if he really know Makoto Shinkai. That being said, some questions are interesting indeed. I also wanted to know Shinkai's favorite anime. Wink)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Fate_Tsukihime wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:

I agreed. The interviewer kinda put too much his fanboyism into his questions as if he really know Makoto Shinkai. That being said, some questions are interesting indeed. I also wanted to know Shinkai's favorite anime. Wink)

It was a press conference style thing, so it was a bunch of different people asking questions.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Shinkai's responses were a lot more relatable and down-to-earth than the reserved, almost-canned tone that so often comes across in interviews like this. I'm not the biggest fan of his work from a stylistic standpoint, and I get the impression that this particular movie most likely won't live up to the international hype for me personally, but it is something to see just how much of a phenomenon it's become.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Quote:

There are many good live action adaptations of anime/manga. For instance, Gantz and Oldboy (that's originally a manga actually). Although you are right there are no good Western adaptations of manga/anime but that's because western filmmakers lack the cultural background to do a good adaptation in the first place.

Ahem... Guyver 2 and Edge of Tomorrow say hi bro[/b]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz, I should've specified that I meant for American live-action versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1