• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Super Mario Run

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Super Mario Run's $10 price tag is all that expensive. Sure it costs a lot more than most apps on the App Store, but $10 is better than $20-$50.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
But Investors are Unhappy: I'm honestly not surprised. I don't think Mario belongs on mobile phones, but that's just how I feel. That whole being being online to play requirement was one of the many reasons Tales of Phantasia iOS bombed so badly. You think developers would learn not to do stuff like that.

Dragon Quest XI:

Quote:
With all that effort made toward building brand awareness in English-speaking countries, it would be a shocker for XI to remain Japan-exclusive for long.

It would indeed. I don't care much for the MMO coming here, as it's a genre that doesn't really lend itself well to me personally, but if DQXI stayed in Japan for some reason, then that would definitely be bizarre. After the great effort that's been put into bringing all the other titles that previously didn't see release (or garner much attention in the case of certain titles), it would be like pulling the plug out for the life support machine.

Shenmue III: Project X Zone 2 was just a warmup for Ryo's return to gaming. I'm sure he can't wait to get right back into things.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
But Investors are Unhappy: I'm honestly not surprised. I don't think Mario belongs on mobile phones, but that's just how I feel.

It's basically New Super Mario Bros. IOS nothing lost not much gained.

belvadeer wrote:
That whole being being online to play requirement was one of the many reasons

Aren't most IPhones and Ipads going to be connected to wifi though?

Tales of Phantasia iOS bombed so badly. You think developers would learn not to do stuff like that.

belvadeer wrote:
It would indeed. I don't care much for the MMO coming here, as it's a genre that doesn't really lend itself well to me personally, but if DQXI stayed in Japan for some reason, then that would definitely be bizarre.

When you remember that we still have DragonQuest games that aren't localized whatsoever and some that are localized by other publishers altogether not so much. DragonQuest just simply isn't very popular here as it is in Japan hence the wishy-washyness on Square's part.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll be getting the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI, the Switch is severely underpowered and unless it at least sells well in Japan, there may not be many good games to buy. It could end up like the WiiU where 3rd party support was almost non-existent anywhere.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I'll be getting the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI, the Switch is severely underpowered and unless it at least sells well in Japan, there may not be many good games to buy. It could end up like the WiiU where 3rd party support was almost non-existent anywhere.

"severely underpowered".
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It's basically New Super Mario Bros. IOS nothing lost not much gained.

Except it's all about "gotta go fast" while unlocking stuff. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Quote:
Aren't most IPhones and Ipads going to be connected to wifi though?

Up to now, lots of other games you can download for iPhone and iPad never needed it, so what's changed that they now require this?

Quote:
When you remember that we still have DragonQuest games that aren't localized whatsoever and some that are localized by other publishers altogether not so much. DragonQuest just simply isn't very popular here as it is in Japan hence the wishy-washyness on Square's part.

Dragon Quest's popularity here has been surging since DQVIII on PS2, and fans of that title had eagerly bought the DS ports of the older titles when they were announced, in addition to the iOS iterations being downloaded. I would say it's gotten pretty popular up to this point and people know Dragon Quest precedes Final Fantasy by one year; they understand it's the grandfather of JRPGs. Besides, it's not as if the spinoffs went completely ignored either.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Except it's all about "gotta go fast" while unlocking stuff. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Sega turned Sonic X into mobile game!?

belvadeer wrote:
Up to now, lots of other games you can download for iPhone and iPad never needed it, so what's changed that they now require this?

You guess is as good as mind as I don't play too many games on my Ipod.

belvadeer wrote:
. I would say it's gotten pretty popular up to this point and people know Dragon Quest precedes Final Fantasy by one year; they understand it's the grandfather of JRPGs.

What few DragonQuest fans in the west might get that but to everyone else it's pretty much the series that outside of Japan plays second fiddle to the Final Fantasy series. Hell I'd argue the Tales series is more popular in the west than DragonQuest

belvadeer wrote:
Besides, it's not as if the spinoffs went completely ignored either.

And yet we didn't get the 3rd Slime Mori Mori game eventhough we got the 2nd one. And then there's the infamous snubbing of the Yangus Mystery Dungeon game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sega turned Sonic X into mobile game!?

Thank goodness they haven't. Nah, I was talking about stuff like Sonic Dash and Sonic Jump.

Quote:
What few DragonQuest fans in the west might get that but to everyone else it's pretty much the series that outside of Japan plays second fiddle to the Final Fantasy series. Hell I'd argue the Tales series is more popular in the west than DragonQuest

I can agree that DQ1 plays really badly compared to FF1, and the fact DQ1 came out here three years after the original Japanese release. However, I have to counter with the argument that the NES FF1 wasn't exactly free of its own issues either. As for the Tales series, I still see some folks refer to as it as niche here, which is only half-right I suppose.

Quote:
And yet we didn't get the 3rd Slime Mori Mori game eventhough we got the 2nd one. And then there's the infamous snubbing of the Yangus Mystery Dungeon game.

It's not as if we didn't get one single spinoff, though some of their actual quality has to be called into question. I'm not sure what the decisions are behind why some games get snubbed in favor of localizing something else. I imagine it's cost measures or what they feel would be the next big thing to catch everyone's attention (and their money).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
-Nintendo's investors:

And water is wet. These guys would find a way to complain if Nintendo's next system sold 1 billion units on the first day.

-DQXI

This will be interesting considering how the last few DQs have been published by Nintendo whereas XI is going to be multi-platform.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
While Super Mario Run does feature some fun content, I have to agree with many that the $10-price tag is a bit steep and that the always-online mandate can be a hassle...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-Nintendo's investors:

And water is wet. These guys would find a way to complain if Nintendo's next system sold 1 billion units on the first day.

-DQXI

This will be interesting considering how the last few DQs have been published by Nintendo whereas XI is going to be multi-platform.

Just how Nintendo fans would defend even the worst Nintendo product or decision to the death, because they can do no wrong.

Don't forget in addition to builder we also got DragonQuest Musou game, and we are getting a sequel to it as well. Not to mention the 3ds rerelease of VII.

Outside of X which was an MMO, square enix has pretty much released most of their games here, which wasn't necessarily the case a decade ago.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
The NieR: Automata demo was great, and I'm glad to see it getting widespread praise across many gaming sites. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the people who've never played a Yoko Taro game before picking up the full game and then getting their souls crushed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1