• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Drifters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:

Granted, as I stated in my review, that doesn't make Drifters a bad show at all! You'll notice I gave the finale a B, which is a good score, and I think I'd extend that grade to the season as a whole. It's a fun show, and fairly consistent in its entertainment factor, but it lacks a lot of cohesion for folks who aren't history buffs, such as myself. I imagine that a second season would help with a lot of these issues, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from there.

I hope I didn't come off as argumentative, I just wanted to say that I was able to enjoy the show a lot because I already have some knowledge about and affection for the characters.

On the other hand I think some tweaking of the manga content could have made it work better as a stand alone story, or at least a more complete feeling prologue to the greater story that is yet to come. The anime stuck pretty closely to the manga, which feels like it's still in the set-up phase of the story, so I don't think there was any way for the anime to feel complete. With luck the second season will alleviate that, but my fear is that the entire story is going to be far too long for the anime to cover. We might get a second season that closes out the prologue to the main story in a satisfying way, but I doubt it will be able to reach the end of the conflict that has been laid out.

Not at all! I'd just seen that point of contention being voiced a little bit, and I figured I'd lay out my own perspective. I always appreciate the conversation!

And I think you have a point regarding just how much material the show has left to adapt. It has the budget and aesthetics of a two to three cour series, but I could see this story easily running on into the dozens of episodes, if not the triple digits. Granted, I've not read the manga, but you're probably on to something.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Now why am I not surprised that Mitsuhide is on the side of the black king.

That was a great series, very much looking forward to season 2.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Agreed, I loved this show and am totally looking forward to more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
So when Toyohisa's sword was broken, why didn't he use his other sword? Yeah, it's a short sword, but it's longer than the stub he was defending himself with.

Anyway, I enjoyed most of the series. The Hijikata/Toyohisa fight wasn't as dramatic as I'd hoped for due to the silly ghost fighters (I kept wanting Toyo to say "If you want to fight me then fight me, don't send your minions"), but it'll do.

Hopefully they'll answer some questions next time around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10