• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2016

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I know that I'm gonna regret clicking on "the best plot twists of 2016".....
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
^Luckily The only thing that one spoiled for me was one of the writers' number one pick.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
RE zero sucks, I'm not surprised that Theron Martin
You have chosen it in the first place, if you like SAO.

Rezero did not bring anything new. That's why they call it SAO 2016. Also in light novels is a harem and is a bad adaptation, because it omitted important things for the following arcs. Well erased was also poorly adapted and other animes too.

Theron Martin also chose Keijo, KONOSUBA, Alderamin on the Sky is a pleb.

[EDIT: Editing in memes just to antagonize people is not acceptable forum behavior. - Key]

Last edited by Dayblack on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
That's why they call it SAO 2016.

Anyone who honestly thinks Re:Zero has anything in common with SAO beyond superficial similarities quite clearly did not watch it. It's as simple as that.

Dayblack wrote:
Also in light novels is a harem

You can't be serious.

Dayblack wrote:
and is a bad adaptation, because it omitted important things for the following arcs.

Nothing important was omitted that can't be easily covered in later seasons, if they decide to make them.

We get it, you hate Re:Zero, and you like letting people know you hate Re:Zero. Enough already please.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
RE zero sucks, I'm not surprised that Theron Martin
You have chosen it in the first place, if you like SAO.

Rezero did not bring anything new. That's why they call it SAO 2016. Also in light novels is a harem and is a bad adaptation, because it omitted important things for the following arcs. Well erased was also poorly adapted and other animes too.

And? If 95% of the people who watched Re:Zero liked it, who are you to make them feel bad about it? I understand that you weren't a fan, but spreading hate just because you're but hurt won't help anyone but your ego.

[Edit]: Just saw Theron's 2nd choice and all i have to say is "thank god someone gave it what the recognition it deserves." Funnily enough i was re-watching episode 13 just before i saw this Feature and was legit thinking that it was a shame it didn't get the same spotlight worse 2016 anime got...

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the titles mentioned in this list, "Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu," "Mob Psycho 100," and "Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto!" are the only titles I've liked.
Elric_Edward

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
That's why they call it SAO 2016.

Literally no one calls it this

Dayblack wrote:
Also in light novels is a harem

Yeah, you're full of shit
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I already see a problem developing here, so let's stop it now.

Dayblack is a well-established light novel adaptation-hater, so take his comments with a grain of salt. Frankly, I'd just ignore him.

And Dayblack, heed the note I put on your post before feeling inclined to post/edit anything else. That kind of childishness won't be tolerated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Awww, no love for Yuri on Ice!!'s episode 10 spoiler[plot twist where it turned out that a drunken Yuri went on a champagne bender, stripped naked, and asked Victor to be his coach a year ago?]

That's probably the first time a plot twist let me completely flabbergasted, and it completely changed many emotional beats in all of the episodes before it. That was quite a bit of shenanigans right there.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Hard to come up with 5 that I really liked this year. There were a bunch of things that were OK, and also a bunch of duds.

There's really only 3 that I'd say really grabbed me and weren't just mixed success:

Sound Euphonium 2 keeps on the high notes it's always been on, with its nuanced character personalities and animation, and mix of different plot points and events.

RE: Zero was really interesting and had some really high moments, like spoiler[Emilia and Subaru's 'breakup'] and the idea that Subaru has a lot of lessons to learn about how to deal with people. I really hope they animate all of the material from the novels, because while I really liked this, I don't really have an interest in reading light novels as a medium.

Flip Flappers is easily my number one. I've written a lot about it on here, so now all I'll say is that it's really inventive and unique both from a visual and thematic perspective.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Dayblack is a well-established light novel adaptation-hater, so take his comments with a grain of salt. Frankly, I'd just ignore him.

And Dayblack, heed the note I put on your post before feeling inclined to post/edit anything else. That kind of childishness won't be tolerated.

So that's why his name sounded familiar... i'm pretty sure i've seen him on the Re:Zero thread.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Awww, no love for Yuri on Ice!!'s episode 10 spoiler[plot twist where it turned out that a drunken Yuri went on a champagne bender, stripped naked, and asked Victor to be his coach a year ago?]

That's probably the first time a plot twist let me completely flabbergasted, and it completely changed many emotional beats in all of the episodes before it. That was quite a bit of shenanigans right there.

Agreed, I was surprised not to see it here, considering it basically changed everything in how we perceived the main couple's dynamics. It seemed a lot of the choices here weren't really plot-twists per sé but just memorable moments. Plot twists are supposed to be game-changers within the narrative, but I'd hesitate to say "Aquors decide to do their own thing" is a game-changer as much as it is an expected outcome for the kind of show that was.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

It's not my intention to annoy, but the really ugly thing is to edit and delete comments from others. In myanimelist that would not have happened. And many would agree with me on myanimelist that anime like Alderamin on the Sky, KONOSUBA, Keijo and Re: Zero, should not be on a list of best anime of the year.

The things he wrote because they should be on the list those animes are very bad and superficial arguments.

To all the good critics that I have known of your country and of other countries they agree on one thing, to put to REzero like the best anime of the year, automatically invalidates your top. I say it with respect.

I'm getting a bad impression of your country by editing and deleting comments (by cutting off the free expression.). I am from Japan and I find it difficult to express myself in their language.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
Key wrote:

It's not my intention to annoy, but the really ugly thing is to edit and delete comments from others. In myanimelist that would not have happened. And many would agree with me on myanimelist that anime like Alderamin on the Sky, KONOSUBA, Keijo and Re: Zero, should not be on a list of best anime of the year.

The things he wrote because they should be on the list those animes are very bad and superficial arguments.

To all the good critics that I have known of your country and of other countries they agree on one thing, to put to REzero like the best anime of the year, automatically invalidates your top. I say it with respect.

I'm getting a bad impression of your country by editing and deleting comments (by cutting off the free expression.). I am from Japan and I find it difficult to express myself in their language.

Oh so you're a light novel hater? You sir got my approval! Laughing
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
What does the country have anything to do with one's opinion? Aside from the obvious cultural differences... Also, i know English is not your first language, it's not mine too, but come one...can't you tell that people aren't welcoming your "type" of opinion. Just about everything you're saying is making us care less and less about your prattle... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22