• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Media Franchises in Japan: 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
So happy to see Kingdom that high on the list! I love Kingdom and seeing it finally blow up is awesome. Also glad to see MHA, OPM, Gintama, Osomatsu-kun, Haikyu!!, Bungo Stray Dogs.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Well, if you factor in international box office and merch sales in "home" town/city that the film is based in (fanchised Sake, Charms, etc), Your Name already has out performed them.

Just take the 21 billion yen box office in just japan and then take china's box office of 9 billion yen and Thailand. Then take the sales of the 1 million Novels. Then add to that a yet to be made Physical release and then add the 21 other counties it will be released (including proper release in USA). You will find that you quickly surpass any of the franchise on the list.

That is what is so crazy about it, this is just ONE film, which is out shining top tier franchises in it's field. It just puts things into perspective.

Also, I use international revenue because this is only about how much money they franchises make, not how much they make from a specific source. Love Live has little to no presence internationally, thus once you add in their international revenue it hardly makes a difference.

We don't have any data for Your Name's merch sales but even with the international box office and novel sales (Approximately 33 billion yen so far) it still not more than what One Piece or Love live normally earns in an year. I think you're underestimating how big of these two franchise are. I only have the complete data for 2012 (the numbers in my previous post is only for merch and mobile games) where One Piece earned 64 billion yen in 2012 from merchandise sales alone. Not even counting the 5 billion yen in domestic licensing sale or the other 2 billion yen from international licensing.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Hell Yeah Love Live!! is number 1 and will live on FOREVER!!! Very Happy
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Love Live over OP. It's tied 1-1 now after the beef started.

All that free publicity by Silvagunner must be really helping. Laughing
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that the gap between The Seven Deadly Sins and MHA is smaller than the gap between MHA and One Punch Man. Seems appropriate since both OPM and Seven Deadly Sins' manga have barely (if at all) progressed anywhere in terms of character or story development.

I predict that both The Seven Deadly Sins and OPM sales decrease even further in 2017 while MHA could crack the top 15 and Black Clover might make it onto this list next year.
NeverLand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Love-Live replaces Gundam as Sunrise Cash Cow Money

Gundam is too old as franchise, then Code Geass says hi next year.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
We don't have any data for Your Name's merch sales but even with the international box office and novel sales (Approximately 33 billion yen so far) it still not more than what One Piece or Love live normally earns in an year. I think you're underestimating how big of these two franchise are. I only have the complete data for 2012 (the numbers in my previous post is only for merch and mobile games) where One Piece earned 64 billion yen in 2012 from merchandise sales alone. Not even counting the 5 billion yen in domestic licensing sale or the other 2 billion yen from international licensing.

Okay, the earlier numbers you gave me were one piece making 28.9 billion yen and Love Live 42.3 billion yen in 2015. Now you give me completely different numbers and no source.

Your Name has garnered 21 billion in Japan theatrical run, boosted the income of the city it takes place in by 10 billion in one month (not sure how much goes too them from this) has already made 9 billion yen in china in the first 2 weeks, made about 500 million yen in Thailand. Has yet to see a physical release, which if it mimics the theatrical run sales, than that in of itself puts it above 40 billion yen. Not to mention the theatrical run in 21 other countries including USA.

I think it's suffice to say that it can and probably will out preformed Love Live and One Piece if we are looking at just the amount of money it garners. Your statement about One Piece's and Love Live's prowess makes this feat that much more impressive. That is what I was getting too.

[Edit]: again removed unnecessary nested quotes. Likewise, please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
Glad to see that Shinkai film is doing so well. Now, if it can beat the adjusted domestic box office record of "Spirited Away", then the name has truly been heard.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Okay, the earlier numbers you gave me were one piece making 28.9 billion yen and Love Live 42.3 billion yen in 2015. Now you give me completely different numbers and no source.

The source is from Charabiz 2012. You need to buy the magazine to get the data but there some people that have translated it.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1361150&show=5450#msg45323047
Quote:
Your Name has garnered 21 billion in Japan theatrical run, boosted the income of the city it takes place in by 10 billion in one month (not sure how much goes too them from this) has already made 9 billion yen in china in the first 2 weeks, made about 500 million yen in Thailand. Has yet to see a physical release, which if it mimics the theatrical run sales, than that in of itself puts it above 40 billion yen. Not to mention the theatrical run in 21 other countries including USA.

Um what? None of the money made in the city goes to the Your Name. producers. Also it hasn't made 500 million yen in Thialand.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-19/shinkai-your-name-becomes-no.1-japanese-film-in-thailand-of-all-time/.110097

It has made US$1.10 million there according to the data there and that doesn't equal to 500 million yen. Also I'm not sure why you're adding USA and the theatrical runs in 21 other countries that have yet to happen. That would only count as the data for 2017. You're gonna have to count that separately because it would be unfair to franchise like Girl und Panzer.

Quote:
I think it's suffice to say that it can and probably will out preformed Love Live and One Piece if we are looking at just the amount of money it garners. Your statement about One Piece's and Love Live's prowess makes this feat that much more impressive. That is what I was getting too.

Of course what Your Name. has done in the past few months is impressive. But the amount of money it has garnered is nowhere close to what Love Live and One Piece earns yearly.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
Nice to see HiGH&LOW doing so well. Hope this means a third drama series, as the first 2 were positively addictive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
Just looking at revenue is pointless anyway. The return on investment for a movie like Your Name earning 40 billion yen is much higher than the return on investment for merchandise sales. Given that producers usually get around 50% of box office sales and that the production cost of the movie is around 5 billion yen, that's a 15 billion yen return.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Just looking at revenue is pointless anyway. The return on investment for a movie like Your Name earning 40 billion yen is much higher than the return on investment for merchandise sales. Given that producers usually get around 50% of box office sales and that the production cost of the movie is around 5 billion yen, that's a 15 billion yen return.

Do you have any data for how much they've invested in the merchandise sales to say that?
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

Do you have any data for how much they've invested in the merchandise sales to say that?

No. But I'm pretty sure the return in merchandise sales isn't close to 25%. Even Apple doesn't have such a high return. Returns in retail are generally around 6-7%.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
^
I see. Well Your Name. is not even close to earning 40 billion yen so the return for the franchise isn't 15 billion yen and the year is already over.

[Edit]: ditto.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:

Why would the production cost of the film be 5 billion yen? I thought it was less than 1 billion? Confused I remember the producer saying in an interview that they had a pretty small budget, like around 500 million for the actual movie, before release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3