• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Someday's Dreamers to be Made into Live-Action Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Well this is surprising, and welcome, news. The Someday's Dreamers anime is actually one of my favorite quiet series and it's cool to hear there's going to be a live action version.

This news gives me hope that perhaps there's enough interest over in Japan for an anime adaption of the Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound manga. (I like that one even better than the first Someday's Dreamers.)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I love Someday's Dreamers!!! And I think it might make a pretty doable live-action adaptation as well. I just hope it catches the subtle notes of beauty that the anime did.

Which brings me to a question. The same guy who did a Tomie movie? I've never seen it, but I've read Junji Ito so I know the material.

Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I can't wait to see this! Someday's Dreamers will make a great movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yay! This is certainly exciting news for me. In fact, I don't think I've been this excited about something new in Japan since I read about the new Ah! My Goddess project. Someday's Dreamers is one of my most favorite manga and anime shows ever, so I really hope an American company will release the live-action movie over here. Like Piano: Melody of a Young Girl's Heart, I love Someday's Dreamers because it is so slice of life and encouraging. I am sure that the feelings of the manga and anime will come through in this new movie.

As soon as I read this news bit, I had the same thought as Richard J.--that I hope that this means that Someday's Dreamers is popular enough in Japan for the manga Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound to be turned into an anime. But unlike Richard J., I like both Spellbound and the original Dreamers equally, although I think Spellbound might be more engaging because it's longer and a bit more complex with more characters and a lot of interesting love stories goin' on (spoiler[my favorite being the one between the two main characters, Nami and Ryutaro]).
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I really, really, want to believe this will be something worth watching. But in general I've got this image of a whiny little Japanese girl complaing the entire episode and running around in some bad cosplay-ish outfit. I'm probably just being pessimistic ( because the anime and manga are among my favorites), but I just have a hard time believing they'll handle the brand of magic realism in Someday Dreamers without turning it into some kind of cheeseball moralistic sobfest.
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
I really, really, want to believe this will be something worth watching. But in general I've got this image of a whiny little Japanese girl complaing the entire episode and running around in some bad cosplay-ish outfit. I'm probably just being pessimistic ( because the anime and manga are among my favorites), but I just have a hard time believing they'll handle the brand of magic realism in Someday Dreamers without turning it into some kind of cheeseball moralistic sobfest.

Yeah same sentiments here, though all that combined with the prospects of how the CG might be done is what really kills any hope of it really being good to me >.>
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Someday's Dreamers, but I'm not sure I'd be excited about a live action movie. I was mainly in love with the series for its artwork, so its difficult to imagine something not animated. Also, will it be another spinoff, like Spellbound, or will it be based on the original?

If It's the later, I'm curious how they'll deal with Yume's (cowlicks?) hair in a live action film, just because I don't know how you could ever get hair to do that and still look natural. Anime hyper
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, when I watched the first episode I stopped watching immediately.

It was very very off-putting for some reason.

It seemed jilted somehow.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
If It's the later, I'm curious how they'll deal with Yume's (cowlicks?) hair in a live action film, just because I don't know how you could ever get hair to do that and still look natural. Anime hyper

Laughing Hah, hah, hah...Yume's cowlicks...I believe they were called "flyaways" in the show (whether in the sub or dub or both, I can't remember though...I just remember another character calling them flyaways when she lost them for a little while--"Where'd your flyaways go?" Very Happy ). Yeah...maybe they'd have to make a more natural-looking unique feature for her hair, otherwise it might look like something out of "The Grinch" movie.

It's interesting how cynical/pessimistic some people are about this. I guess I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because I've really enjoyed the live-action versions of manga and anime that I've seen and I've enjoyed most of the Japanese live-action movies that I've seen that aren't related to anime or manga. Plus, Someday's Dreamers reminds me of the Asadora dramas that I always really enjoy...the only real difference between them is that Someday's Dreamers has magical realism in it (Although Kaze no Haruka seems to have a little bit of magical realism in it, what with the dragon and the dragon's scale...). However, for me, the magical realism in Someday's Dreamers would be nothing without the great characters, emotion, and stories. I could see a bit more sentimentalism being put in the live-action film, but that doesn't bother me because I'm rather sentimental myself! Anime catgrin
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:

Laughing Hah, hah, hah...Yume's cowlicks...I believe they were called "flyaways" in the show ...maybe they'd have to make a more natural-looking unique feature for her hair, otherwise it might look like something out of "The Grinch" movie.

Seems like near-independent hair has been a fun little character trait for a while... see also Chiyo-chan's pigtails in Azumanga Daioh and Tsukamoto Tenma's "poing-poing" hair in School Rumble Very Happy

You could probably include the cosplay ears of Mint in Galaxy Angel as they're nominally non-living objects which are only supposed to sit passively on her head Laughing
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Laughing Hah, hah, hah...Yume's cowlicks...I believe they were called "flyaways" in the show (whether in the sub or dub or both, I can't remember though...I just remember another character calling them flyaways when she lost them for a little while--"Where'd your flyaways go?" ).

You know, I was so close to posting the exact same thing about the Fly Aways, but I felt kind of idiotic for remembering something like that ._.

Quote:
It's interesting how cynical/pessimistic some people are about this. I guess I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because I've really enjoyed the live-action versions of manga and anime that I've seen and I've enjoyed most of the Japanese live-action movies that I've seen that aren't related to anime or manga. Plus, Someday's Dreamers reminds me of the Asadora dramas that I always really enjoy...the only real difference between them is that Someday's Dreamers has magical realism in it (Although Kaze no Haruka seems to have a little bit of magical realism in it, what with the dragon and the dragon's scale...). However, for me, the magical realism in Someday's Dreamers would be nothing without the great characters, emotion, and stories. I could see a bit more sentimentalism being put in the live-action film, but that doesn't bother me because I'm rather sentimental myself! Anime catgrin

To be honest I'm one of those people that thought the GTO live action was a trainwreck yet loved the anime/manga to death. Maybe other people have a higher opinion of Japanese movies/dramas, but I find them pretty pathetic. But I'd assumet hat in addition to the prevailing "ZOMG the original ftw" sentiment that follows any adaptation, there's some more people out there witha less than positive opinion of Japanese acting outside of anime :/

Although how they could make it any more sentimental than the anime is without go overboard is beyond me O_o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1