• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Personal 2016 Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Winner of This Would Be Really Something Special If It Was Directed By Junichi Sato award this year is Flying Witch which is like Aria but with less cats and even less romance. I mean, really, none at all, in fact the only way the cast could be any more asexual would be if they were all girls in a strict no yuri setting. The guy in Notaharem lives in a small town and we have to buy the fact that 1) That none of the girls around him are his type and 2) He really only thinks about farming. Really. Even Tenchi thought about it.

Unlike Tenchi Masaki, who is the main character of his respective franchise (excluding anything Pretty Sammy-related... or GXP... or whatever that War on Geminar thing was... well, you know what I mean), Kei Kuramoto is really only a side character in Flying Witch. Even if Flying Witch originated in a shounen magazine (Kodansha's Bessatsu Shounen Magazine), it's a manga centered on the female characters and it's even written by a woman, Chihiro Ishizuka, and it seems meant to appeal to readers of all genders.

Again, like Aria, that's all like that series as well but that cast talks about love and romance like it's part of their lives even when it's not; In Flying Witch, any time it gets mentioned, it promptly gets stopped with a distinct "No" from Nao or "She's not my type" from Kei or whatever was going through Makoto's head on the subject which was... I don't know. Akari from Aria was a romantic but Makoto, she's really not human. She's just there to observe, more a plot device than a character.

To frame this question from another character's POV, in this case Inukai, the problem of her daylight dog face hampering her life would imply it's meant it gives her problems romantically because she seems to have no problem being a masked fortune teller during the day... or an unmasked one at night... she can't work nights, huh?... and the reveal of her true face is the one that pushes Kei's buttons implying that if she were unglamoured, he as a totally alone farm boy would definitely consider doing things with her that he wouldn't with Nao or Makoto... how does any of this make sense? Even cynical Hachiman from Love SNAFU said "My mother told me not to be picky about my tastes" but this is ridiculous.

It comes off as a direct "Denied" from the author and the creative team of the show followed her in step. Both Aria and Flying Witch have a sense of wonder but only one has a sense of love. Which gets even odder when you consider how many Flying Witch women were designed to be physically attractive compared to Aria. And that includes the mothers, especially Kei's mother, compared to the three great Undines.

It wasn't until I nearly finished the series, I thought "Wait a minute, her other kid's an older teen, what's going on here?" during the picture book scene. So either the whole show is intended male baiting... as if Anzu's mother being introduced as a hot blond with no husband in sight wasn't a big enough clue... or was the show designed as an exercise in crack sipping?

"If no one's paired then you could imagine anyone's paired!" That certainly sounds like something an editor would come up with.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
it really bothers you that much that Kei shows almost no interest in the women around him?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it really bothers you that much that Kei shows almost no interest in the women around him?

With who? His cousins? Childhood friend than romantically? his mother? Or Inukai who we actually get mention of him finding her his type? It is not like we had a large pool for it to really be about Kei's raging hormones, and what we saw had him painted as a rather balanced character. And it would be a little weird since the series was supposed to be about Makoto.

Best chain of misunderstandings: This Art Club Has a Problem!
I am not normally that into jokes which are just a chain of misunderstandings, they just feel kind of cheap, but the one pulled off in This Art Club Has a Problem was hilarious. With it all starting with Collette spoiler[colouring in the head].

Worst ending to a good series: Kuma Miko
I actually like Kuma Miko, I like how the show kind of presented things like anxiety, but what I really don’t like was how it finished. Specifically, it was that it at the very end presented that all the work Machi did to overcome her anxiety was not worth it and thus she should be happy where she is and let everyone else think for her instead. It was a terrible way to cap off a character arc, and insulting to people with a fairly high level of anxiety.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

It really bother me that no one shows any interest in life outside of farming and/or magic. Farming brings about food which brings about life and its continuation which is of course you know, sex... see No-Rin or even Silver Spoon for more assumed on the farm desires... and as for magic, well, having your fortune read usual doesn't deal with learning what your day will be tomorrow unless you're the very literal Yuki Nagato. Luck in fortune and in romance are the usual subjects but the cast just wasn't biting.

So to me, it comes off as a taboo subject directly from the writer... except for the ladybugs who were on a date at the café. Yeah, those ladybugs...

Mmm. I'm a firm believer in the idea that the unconscious mind will always color a creative work to degrees that the writer wouldn't admit or even understand unless they were pointed out but this show, it's a little more blatant than usual... the concept that the only beings in the show that show feelings of mutual attraction and not just its results like marriage or offspring have zero sexual dimorphism is more than just a tell in my mind. Combined with the fact that all the females excepting those past childbirth age are designed to be sexually enticing, puts in my mind that there's a block somewhere between form and function.

To put it terms of character designs, the cast should look more like the immature high school girls of A-Channel or Sato's own Tamayura than the very adult and very sexually conscious cast of School Rumble.

To add another part to it; Maybe I've seen too much anime but was I the only one thinking that when Akane got drunk, she'd come on to Inukai? Alcohol lowers inhibitions but under the guise of not have any drives, they really don't have any drives? Spells, that's the only thing on her mind? Other than alcohol?

This lack of interest throughout the show makes the final project very dry and sterile in my mind, no matter how many flying whales you throw at it, and the mind of a romantic like Sato would be able to add a little "love of life" to it.

Dp, Aria.. always back to that one... is certainly about its main character Akari but it found time even in its shortened first season for some, well, very sexually aware men... one of whom is named Woody... who in turn got the cast of girls thinking. It is, as the show later says, only Natural.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Let's keep it civil and on topic please. Thanks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Most difficult to follow from everyone speaking too fast: Occult;Nine

I gotta give that award to The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Had to watch that with my finger on the pause button.

Best Religious Figure: Biker Jesus in Bakuon!!.

Best Plushie: Fuzzy, aka Moja Moja, from Morose Mononokean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2