• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oricon Raises Yuri!! on Ice's 1st-Week Sales Figures From 35,589 to 50,878

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauladls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Fujoshis saving anime
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on being new big hit YoI bring on more sport anime
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
MAPPA truly was born to make history.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
MAPPA truly was born to make history.

More like just Sayo Yamamoto and Kubo. Mappa has a lot of mediocre stuff, but damn did they do well on this one.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The money trains keeps going.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Update: Oh snap. OP is deader than we thought.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
Fujoshis saving anime

If it really were just "fujoshis", every BL series would be a smash hit as well. YOI is doing well because it's appealing to skating fans and people who enjoy a thoughtful, well-crafted romance and characters overcoming mental health issues and finding love against all odds. The animation and staying true to the sport has harnessed the attention of dozens of real figure skaters as well. It did everything right and is being justly rewarded for its thoughtful approach to its premise.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This gets better and better. More congratulations are in order.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I just keep crying because of how happy I am. Oh great, I'm tearing up again.

I mean, before the show aired, I had no idea what it would be like but I knew I'd like it at least a bit and just hoped that Touken Ranbu and UtaPri wouldn't take away its sales. I was hoping for maybe 4~5k.

And then the show started and I was just sucked in and as each new episode came out, I just wanted this show to succeed and I was so happy that it was gaining steam on Amazon and Animate. By the time the 8th episode had aired, the show was doing quite well in Stalker predictions but I wanted more. This show....THIS SHOW. This show deserved 20k sales, is what I thought.

Then by the time it ended, I was a sobbing mess but I was also very happy and I hoped that the show would do 30k and look at where we are.

It's like watching your child really grow up and make history. YOI was born to make history and it truly has.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
I just keep crying because of how happy I am. Oh great, I'm tearing up again.

I mean, before the show aired, I had no idea what it would be like but I knew I'd like it at least a bit and just hoped that Touken Ranbu and UtaPri wouldn't take away its sales. I was hoping for maybe 4~5k.

And then the show started and I was just sucked in and as each new episode came out, I just wanted this show to succeed and I was so happy that it was gaining steam on Amazon and Animate. By the time the 8th episode had aired, the show was doing quite well in Stalker predictions but I wanted more. This show....THIS SHOW. This show deserved 20k sales, is what I thought.

Then by the time it ended, I was a sobbing mess but I was also very happy and I hoped that the show would do 30k and look at where we are.

It's like watching your child really grow up and make history. YOI was born to make history and it truly has.

Has it made history? the history of what? certainly not sales, because while 50k is beyond amazing it is still not near the top of a weekly sale.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

Has it made history? the history of what? certainly not sales, because while 50k is beyond amazing it is still not near the top of a weekly sale.

Being the first, major anime (that is not BL) with a canon, gay couple is certainly making history.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
switchgear1131 wrote:

Being the first, major anime (that is not BL) with a canon, gay couple is certainly making history.

And making those sales numbers with a canon gay couple as its protagonists. Also being an original production written and directed by women. Also studio MAPPA's biggest hit ever period.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

What do you mean? 50k is the second highest 1st volume of the year, well beyond top of the weekly charts, and one of the highest 1st volumes of all time. That's rather historical. It's a massively successful, now mainstream, critically acclaimed show about a gay romance and personal achievement. I think that's clearly historical.
Dardre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
It gets even better. The number two spot on that bluray list? A One Piece movie... at just above half the sales of YoI. It clocks in at 18,235.

Even more: If you add in the One Piece movie's DVD sales too (14,333), it's still several thousand units shy of YoI bluray sales. Total sales: 32,568 to YoI 35,453.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The fujoshi money keeping anime alive. I'm not going to complain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3