• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
OAT = of all time
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga "Haikyuu!" So I thought add another sports manga to my collection, what ones would you suggest? Also basketball....Slam Dunk vs. kuroko's basketball....which one?
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:
I love the manga "Haikyuu!" So I thought add another sports manga to my collection, what ones would you suggest? Also basketball....Slam Dunk vs. kuroko's basketball....which one?

SD and KnB are quite different to each other, despite both being about basketball. If you like Haikyuu, KnB is more similar to it than SD. In terms of licensed sports manga, there's not a great deal to choose from. Readily available would be Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basket, and Yowamushi Pedal. Prince of Tennis, Whistle, Eyeshield 21, Cross Game have also been released but might not be so easy to find.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Basically I just want a great sports manga to basically go with Haikyuu!!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd go with Yowamushi Pedal if you're looking for something like Haikyu - it's got the same sort of feel to it and starts much faster than Kuroko's Basketball or Slam Dunk. The art's not great, but the story seriously moves and pulls you along with it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The best manga I ever read is Ashita no Joe and it's a sports manga. Although the very old art style might be a problem to some people.

I wonder if there is any manga more similar to the likes of Vinland Saga out there? I would think Kingdom is kinda similar in some aspects (both are historical seinen manga with lots of violence) but also very different in many other aspects.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Have you perhaps read Wolfsmund? It's definitely violent and medieval, and I think there's only one vol left to go from the looks of it (I'm upset, I hadn't realized it had ended at 8 volumes!) Also, the mangaka of Wolfsmund was assistant to Kentaro Miura (who did Berserk), and it shows. I definitely wish she'd go back to helping him for a while, he needs it! And Berserk certainly qualifies too, it's violent and glorious.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
^That's that episodic one, right? Do the stories ever string together?
little_HARSH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm new to the magna world so I'm hoping some people can recommend me some to read, when it comes genres I like a big variety of stuff I'm just really into horror kind of stuff.
Pamachu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys. So, uh... this is a weird request, but I'm kinda looking for manga similar to the Shin Megami Tensei games. You know... narratives where the world of demons and deities brushes up against the real world, perhaps with some paranormal shenanigans and what have you. Anything you guys could recommend? Thanks.
Pamachu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
little_HARSH wrote:
I'm new to the magna world so I'm hoping some people can recommend me some to read, when it comes genres I like a big variety of stuff I'm just really into horror kind of stuff.

Fuan no Tane is my absolute favorite. Junji Ito stuff, obviously. I also like Lychee Light Club.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Have you perhaps read Wolfsmund? It's definitely violent and medieval, and I think there's only one vol left to go from the looks of it (I'm upset, I hadn't realized it had ended at 8 volumes!) Also, the mangaka of Wolfsmund was assistant to Kentaro Miura (who did Berserk), and it shows. I definitely wish she'd go back to helping him for a while, he needs it! And Berserk certainly qualifies too, it's violent and glorious.

Been reading Berserk as well, great manga although has some elements that I disliked (the plot now with the tentacle pirates felt a bit nonsensical). I liked Vinland Saga even more than Berserk, its an almost perfect manga IMO. I will begin reading Wolfsmund as well.

Among the manga I read the one I regard as the closest to Vinland Saga is actually Vagabond although one is in an European setting and the other in an East Asian setting the two have a rather similar "samurai" style of philosophy in the evolution of their characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
^I swear, I will read Vinland Saga eventually, I really will! I have 1-7 sitting on my shelf! (My comic shop hasn't gotten in 8 yet, sometimes they're slow on getting Kodansha stuff especially). Also, I see Amazon has a listing for vol 9 of Vinland Saga, so that's good. Except I think it'll catch up to Japan at that point. Shame Afternoon runs monthly (I think) and the chapters are only weekly length, the wait, man!
Also, since you mentioned Vagabaond, I have to ask if you've read Takehiko Inoue's Real series. It's certainly nothing like Vinland Saga or Berserk, Real is very much grounded in reality with a dash of sports, but it's soooo good! And it comes out at a rate of about 1 volume a year....so slow...you'd think with him finally finishing Vagabond, he could speed up Real, but that appears to not be the case Crying or Very sad

Anyway, I want to ask if anyone has specifically Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning. I know it kind of starts with games, but it goes away from that, but I have read/seen other Kyo Shirodaira works (namely Record of a Fallen Vampire and Blast of Tempest, and I've read the first vol of In/Spectre) so I generally like her (him?), but 15 is kind of a bigger investment. I also know that the anime (which I haven't seen) goes 5-6 vols into it (from what I've read online)
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
If it makes you feel better zawa I also have Vinland Saga sitting unread on my shelf and I bought 8 yesterday...
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
If it makes you feel better zawa I also have Vinland Saga sitting unread on my shelf and I bought 8 yesterday...

Yes, but of all the unread series I have sitting on my shelf (and there are many), I somehow feel the most guilty about two. Vinland Saga because of how much everyone loves it and I feel like I am missing out the most by not having read that one (at least I am contributing to its sales, so no one can complain to me on that one), and Barefoot Gen, because I am too frightened to read it (I've read to vol 2 via the library in the past) because the two vols I did read were soul-crushingly depressing. The idea of reading more Barefoot Gen genuinely scares me. Ikigami is pretty damn depressing too (I've read about half of that one). But with BG, it's like I am owning something that I have no intention of reading, so it's a bit different than other unread series waiting on my shelf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 33